Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Coleman Mach thermostat which controlles both heat and A/C. About 1-1/12 months ago I experienced an issue where the heat,( at the time we were in a cold location so only the heat was being used)was called for on the thermostat. I have the ability to use both electric, heat pump or gas for my heating requirements and at first request I was on electric, heat pump. I could not get any heat generated so I switched over to gas and the heat came on. However, when the set temperature was reached it continued to run. I had to manually turn the thermostst to off to get it to stop. I made a determination that a "common" cause was to blame and it appeared that the thermostat was at fault. I purchased a new one and installed it myself. To my suprise it appeared to cure the problem. $ 282.00 seemed to be a good investment as long as the problem was gone.

Here I am a little over a month later and it is happening again , only now I find out it is also affecting my A/C. It will not come on without a large amperage spike,>47amps. I am afraid it will burn out the compressor and that's not a good thing. However, once the compressor comes on it too will continue to run past the set temperature.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of similar problems which you have heard of and perhaps received corrective repairs on this issue. I really don't want to put out another $282.00 and end up right back where I am today
Rick Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I have a Coleman Mach thermostat which controlles both heat and A/C. About 1-1/12 months ago I experienced an issue where the heat,( at the time we were in a cold location so only the heat was being used)was called for on the thermostat. I have the ability to use both electric, heat pump or gas for my heating requirements and at first request I was on electric, heat pump. I could not get any heat generated so I switched over to gas and the heat came on. However, when the set temperature was reached it continued to run. I had to manually turn the thermostst to off to get it to stop. I made a determination that a "common" cause was to blame and it appeared that the thermostat was at fault. I purchased a new one and installed it myself. To my suprise it appeared to cure the problem. $ 282.00 seemed to be a good investment as long as the problem was gone.

Here I am a little over a month later and it is happening again , only now I find out it is also affecting my A/C. It will not come on without a large amperage spike,>47amps. I am afraid it will burn out the compressor and that's not a good thing. However, once the compressor comes on it too will continue to run past the set temperature.

Does anyone have any suggestions or know of similar problems which you have heard of and perhaps received corrective repairs on this issue. I really don't want to put out another $282.00 and end up right back where I am today
Rick Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find lots of help here. I think a good first step would be to contact Coleman which, I think, is now RV Products. Your original thermostat may have been out of warranty, but you shouldn't have to buy a 2nd one.

I'm not an A/C tech, but I would suspect that amperage spike is a separate problem and probably a bad starter capacitor. I know there are people on this forum with professional A/C experience so maybe you'll hear from one of them soon.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:07 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes - welcome.

Here is the service manual for the 6535 heat pump which I think is the standard Winnie model. It is quite detailed and maybe you can do some troubleshooting at the kitchen table.

-John

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:32 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

I replaced two thermostats under warrenty and when the third one failed out of warrenty I called Coleman and they sold me another for just under $50.00. I would give them a call and tell them your problems. No problems with the latest one.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

You don't say what year and make of coach you have. On my Horizon, with one heatpump/AC running it wouldn't satisfy and this was with a small differential between setting and actual temp in the coach. Set the setting lower the second HP/AC would come on and satisfy the thermostat. Replaced the thermostat under warranty and the new one did the same thing.

Also when there is a LARGE differential and it is set on elec heat both gas and electric run till satisfied and the second time around with a smaller differential just the electric heat runs.

With the small differential and the unit (AC or Heat) running all the time and never satisfying, I solved the problem by adjusting the ceiling vents to blow somewhat towards the thermo and this caused the thermo to recycle the units as they should.

Not a bad thermo at all, the ceiling vents just needed adjusting. Good MIles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 08:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

John Canfield, Thank you for the AC manual.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

inchntogo has got it exactly right. I had the same situation and finally used the same resolution and it cured the problem.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Ichntogo, My Thermostat frequently fails to kick in the second compressor. I proved this by checking the voltage on the orange wire from the thermostat. I could force the second stage on, so I knew it was the thermostat. Also, frequently after manally cycling the theromstat AC on/off, the second stage would kick in. Anyway, it never occurred to me to move the air ducts. I have always had them purposely pointing away from the thermostat. What you said makes sense, so I'll give it a try and thanks for the tip.
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote