Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2015, 05:01 PM   #41
Winnie-Wise

Anyone got photos of the circulation fan, motor and mount? Or, a parts diagram?
Old Crows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

Old Crows, See if this will help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	100427   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC 2.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	153.9 KB
ID:	100428  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #43
Winnie-Wise

Finally! Large box with small fan & brace arrived today....

"D" fan has arrived!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #44
Winnie-Wise

OK.... Hustled up and installed the "D" fan in the cool of the morning. Sounds and operates just like the "C" version inside and out. On shore power, there's the turbo-like whistle outside. Heard only when standing by the coach door or rear wheel. That is good. That is very, very good!

IMPRESSION: There is no visual difference between the "C" and the "D" ... Samo-samo. There's no difference in the internal webbing, thickness of the hub or blade material .... or anything that I could see. The "D" does have a little smoother finish than the "C" version & no 'flash' that needed removal. So I didn't do any sanding or smoothing on the blades or hub. The "C" has a matt finish and is slightly grey/black. The "D" is a bit shinier and more black/black. The fit on the motor shaft looks to be the same as the old ones. The blade tips are still very, very close to the top of the electrical box. (So, another whack with a hammer just to be sure. Clearance is still about 3/16"......)

What is different is the weight. The "C" weighs 287 g (10.1 oz, for 'mericans) and the "D" weighs 300 g (10.6 oz). The "D" is 13 g (0.5 oz) heavier. It is the only difference that I could find. It's probably due to a more dense material used in the "D."

Interestingly, the "D" kit came with another 'hat' that is attached to the electrical box and used to brace the shroud. It's exactly the same as the one in the "C" kit. Here's where it gets interesting. One would think that the 'hat' is designed to keep the shroud from bending down and hitting the fan or, if you think like a Crow, it could be to hold the electric box down!

On mine, it is ever so clear that it does nothing AT ALL except take up space. It is too short to be effective. The foam pad on the top of the hat is pristine.... IT HAS NEVER BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE SHROUD!!! in the five months it's been in place!

BUT!!! No worries Mr. Coleman!!! Rest easy in the knowledge that the main refrigerant pipe coming off the compressor is doing yeoman's work keeping your shroud from distorting down into the fan. The foam cushion I applied to the refrigerant pipe five months ago is flattened and there are wear facets on it and the underside of the bonnet.

I took time to look at the motor mount on the circulation fan. The motor is held in place at each end by a 'C' clamp type mount with rubber inserts for cushioning and vibration control. The squirrel cage is on a stick extending into the air handler. Looks acceptable and satisfactory .....

The clamps on either end of the motor are screwed down tight. There is no space between the clamp 'ears' for any more tightening. Probably made that way for easy assembly.... put motor here.... tighten the screw till the ears touch.

Near certain there is little that can be done to stop any kind of rumble in the circulation fan.

I'll extend a flap of the Crow's wing to PPL RV Parts in Houston for helping get me a "D" fan kit. I explained that five months ago I ordered a kit and was sent a "C" despite Coleman having "D"s in the logistics trains. So... it took a few weeks but I received a replacement for the "C" .... no charge! Thanks guys!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crows View Post
OK.... Hustled up and installed the "D" fan in the cool of the morning. Sounds and operates just like the "C" version inside and out. On shore power, there's the turbo-like whistle outside. Heard only when standing by the coach door or rear wheel. That is good. That is very, very good!

IMPRESSION: There is no visual difference between the "C" and the "D" ... Samo-samo. There's no difference in the internal webbing, thickness of the hub or blade material .... or anything that I could see. The "D" does have a little smoother finish than the "C" version & no 'flash' that needed removal. So I didn't do any sanding or smoothing on the blades or hub. The "C" has a matt finish and is slightly grey/black. The "D" is a bit shinier and more black/black. The fit on the motor shaft looks to be the same as the old ones. The blade tips are still very, very close to the top of the electrical box. (So, another whack with a hammer just to be sure. Clearance is still about 3/16"......)

What is different is the weight. The "C" weighs 287 g (10.1 oz, for 'mericans) and the "D" weighs 300 g (10.6 oz). The "D" is 13 g (0.5 oz) heavier. It is the only difference that I could find. It's probably due to a more dense material used in the "D."

Interestingly, the "D" kit came with another 'hat' that is attached to the electrical box and used to brace the shroud. It's exactly the same as the one in the "C" kit. Here's where it gets interesting. One would think that the 'hat' is designed to keep the shroud from bending down and hitting the fan or, if you think like a Crow, it could be to hold the electric box down!

On mine, it is ever so clear that it does nothing AT ALL except take up space. It is too short to be effective. The foam pad on the top of the hat is pristine.... IT HAS NEVER BEEN IN CONTACT WITH THE SHROUD!!! in the five months it's been in place!

BUT!!! No worries Mr. Coleman!!! Rest easy in the knowledge that the main refrigerant pipe coming off the compressor is doing yeoman's work keeping your shroud from distorting down into the fan. The foam cushion I applied to the refrigerant pipe five months ago is flattened and there are wear facets on it and the underside of the bonnet.

I took time to look at the motor mount on the circulation fan. The motor is held in place at each end by a 'C' clamp type mount with rubber inserts for cushioning and vibration control. The squirrel cage is on a stick extending into the air handler. Looks acceptable and satisfactory .....

The clamps on either end of the motor are screwed down tight. There is no space between the clamp 'ears' for any more tightening. Probably made that way for easy assembly.... put motor here.... tighten the screw till the ears touch.

Near certain there is little that can be done to stop any kind of rumble in the circulation fan.

I'll extend a flap of the Crow's wing to PPL RV Parts in Houston for helping get me a "D" fan kit. I explained that five months ago I ordered a kit and was sent a "C" despite Coleman having "D"s in the logistics trains. So... it took a few weeks but I received a replacement for the "C" .... no charge! Thanks guys!
My D fans were noticeable different that the C. The skirt where the fan meets the hub extended past the trailing edge of the blade approx. 1/4 in. Also the fillet between the blade and the hub was slightly raised. Maybe they've changed the design again, but as stated mine were noticeably different.
loisjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #46
Winnie-Wise

I'll go back and check my photos. NOT climbing on roof! ... again!!!

Well, so far it works. I did toss the C fan in to my spares kit.... along with the A model. Hey... you never know when you will need two fans....
Old 04-02-2017, 06:43 AM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagenl View Post
I had the 3 blade replacement from Air Excel at GNR in 2014. It had a "B" in the model number and one blew up last weekend. I got 2 "D" model fans at no charge and installed them. The front was just fine but the rear was too close to the metal cover over the wiring. I removed the nut under the rear side of that cover and fastened it back down so no problem on the metal box cover. However the fan rubbed against the top plastic cover at startup and shut down so I shimmed up the lower right corner of the roof cover and solved that too. Not a whole lot of tolerance around these blades and I hope the "D" models actually hold up. We leave the air on lots of times when away from the coach and a fan blow up could lead to any number of nightmares. Air Excel (RVP) replaced them without any questions except serial # of the air conditioner units.
I have not heard back from Airxcel (Coleman) service department about the noise the units makes on the outside. I went on roof and the unit sports a 6 bladed fan. I am going the right way to get a replacement 3 blade fan?
Larry B
braisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:11 AM   #48
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by braisted View Post
I have not heard back from Airxcel (Coleman) service department about the noise the units makes on the outside. I went on roof and the unit sports a 6 bladed fan. I am going the right way to get a replacement 3 blade fan?
Larry B
I'd skip Coleman. They are not very user friendly IME. See Hush Kit below....

IMO, yes. The 3 blade "elf ear" fan is much quieter. Be sure it is a D series. Previous versions will break.

There is also a fan speed reducer available from Perfect Casita up near Dallas. I haven't done that ... Yet. "Mach 8 Hush Kit" should get you there. He has posted some test results.... Sounds like one of a complement of solutions to an agrevating problem. What you hear now is mostly a high speed whine and airflow noise on the outside. The Hush Kit should help a lot. Also includes a D fan!!!

In 2015, I replaced the fan and MacGuyvered a solution. It works pretty well and you can hold a normal conversation standing at the RR tire. Inside is also quieter. Most noise is from the duct work airflow.

Here's a write up on my MacGuyver mod. Understand I was really annoyed at having to replace the 6 blade fan and then doing it twice because of Coleman's crappy QA/QC. It's an OK unit. Cools OK but like all RV A/Cs they will struggle in high ambient & direct sun.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzX...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 04-02-2017, 11:53 AM   #49
Winnebago Master

We had a similar problem with the Mach 8 air conditioners in our 2013 Adventurer. Last year I called Airxcel and spoke to a technician. He asked for the serial numbers of the units which I had from the build sheet. After confirming they were within the range that had noisy fans he offered to send me 2 "fan kits". at no charge.

The kit consists of the latest generation 3 blade fan (with the D suffix) a net retainer nut and a couple washers that can be used for spacers if necessary AND a horse shoe shaped piece of aluminum with double sided tape on the bottom flanges.
It's supposed to be placed on top of the box next to the fan. This keeps the fan blade from rubbing against the shroud.

Here's a link to an article about installing a new Mach 8 unit. Note the second picture shows the 3 blade fan and the horse shoe space mounted on top of the box next to the fan:

Step by Step Coleman Mach 8 Cub Installation — The Greatleys

Tags
fan, upgrade