Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cold weather question

I was planning on heading south soon, hoping to beat the cold weather. I see by the local (Minneapolis) weather predictions are for some very cold nights, in the 20's. So, today I opened up the waterheater and system drain, hooked up my air compressor and blew out the water system and drained the holding tanks. Do you think that should be enough for a couple weeks until I hit the road? or do you think I should "pink" the whole system. I think I got most of the water out of the system, but a little may remain.... What are your thoughts....???
tbomn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I say Pink It!
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I would pink also,

but keep in mind that it may not be cold enough long enough inside the MH to harm anythink, but if it does it can be messy.
doit2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If you have electricity where your rig is stored you can probably avoid winterizing by putting a couple of trouble lights (with incandescent bulbs) in a couple of strategic bays ... where your water pump is located ... and the service bay where the freshwater supply inlet is located ...

My guess is this will work if the daytime temps are above freezing and the overnight temps are above 20 ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You might want to put some RV anti-freeze in the traps. If you blew every thing else out with air, I wouldn't worry about it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
You might want to put some RV anti-freeze in the traps. If you blew every thing else out with air, I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks for reminding me about the traps, I forgot them.. I blew it for about 10 minutes, and wasn't getting any water out of the system drain or the waterheater, so I would guess there isn't but a few drops, if any, left in the system.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #7
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
I was planning on heading south soon, hoping to beat the cold weather. I see by the local (Minneapolis) weather predictions are for some very cold nights, in the 20's. So, today I opened up the waterheater and system drain, hooked up my air compressor and blew out the water system and drained the holding tanks. Do you think that should be enough for a couple weeks until I hit the road? or do you think I should "pink" the whole system. I think I got most of the water out of the system, but a little may remain.... What are your thoughts....???

I would take about 15-20 minutes and 3 gals of pink. Pretty cheap insurance to me considering how ugly it could/might get.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Well, I took everyone's advise and pinked the whole thing. A pain in the rear, but now I have peace of mind... My luck is now that I have done all that, the weather won't be as cold as they predict and I wouldn't have had to do it......Oh well, better safe than sorry..
Old 10-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #9
JC2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomn View Post
Well, I took everyone's advise and pinked the whole thing. A pain in the rear, but now I have peace of mind... My luck is now that I have done all that, the weather won't be as cold as they predict and I wouldn't have had to do it......Oh well, better safe than sorry..