Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #1
Jim
Winnebago Owner

the fan that blows through the floor ducts of the coach has a loud whine on both low and high settings..would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to get at it..thanks..jim
Old 11-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #2
Jim
Winnebago Owner

the fan that blows through the floor ducts of the coach has a loud whine on both low and high settings..would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to get at it..thanks..jim
Old 11-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Are you talking about the fan motor that runs with the Gas furnace? If so yes it will wine. If you are talking about the one off the engine heater that blows hot air through the MH No.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jim,
Our auxilary coach heater fan (runs off the engine heat) started to make a good bit of noise & wouldn't start up on low about 2 years ago. The fan is located behind the water heater & I crawled inside of the forward drivers side compartment & dribbled as much 3 in 1 oil as I could on the bearing areas. That was 2 years ago & its been fine ever since.
Fred B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Need help also. My coach heater fan has a terrible noise on high or low. We have a 2001 37g. Anyone know where the fan is or how to access it? I will try the oil on the fan bearing trick if I can find the fam.
Thanks,
Searay
Old 11-19-2005, 03:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have the same problem intermittently, so will be interested as to where it is located too.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 04:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the same problem and effectively can't use the heater because it is so noisy. Tried to access but can't get to both bearings without removing water heater, and that doesn't look easy.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The DC motor in the propane furnace was making noise like the squirrel cage fan was
hitting a metal housing, on low and hi! Pulled the unit and found the motor was to heavy
for the plastic housing that held it and the fan ! I built a support onto the back of the
motor to keep it level, and to keep the fan off the housing. Called the company and I
am the only one to ever have this problem-----SURE I AM!!!! TENN.VOL.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:31 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ronald Smith:
I have the same problem and effectively can't use the heater because it is so noisy. Tried to access but can't get to both bearings without removing water heater, and that doesn't look easy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It is a very high pitch noise on both low & high. I would like to know how to quiet it down also. As stated in cold weather driving, using this feature will stop your basement from freezing as you drive.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2005, 01:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via ICQ to Pat Z Send a message via AIM to Pat Z Send a message via Yahoo to Pat Z
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim:
the fan that blows through the floor ducts of the coach has a loud whine on both low and high settings..would appreciate if anyone can tell me how to get at it..thanks..jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you are talkig about the fan that hats the coach from the engine it is behind the water heater. Mine got noisy one season, then would only run on high. I tried everything I culd to get some lubrication to it but to no avail. It must get wet somehow. anyway, to get to it you have to remove the hot water heater.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

OK, I think we have one of those problems where most people live with it, thinking I'm the only one until the problem comes up on the board.

We have a 03 33V Suncruiser with the exact problem. Cant start the fan on low and on high, makes a loud sound.

Can anyone confirm how tough it is to get to the fan and fix?

thanks, jim
Old 11-21-2005, 03:15 PM   #12
Jim
Winnebago Owner

hi..i have been traveling and not able to check out the info you all provided..in the next day or so i will take a look for the fan and let you know how i make out..thanks..jim
Old 11-22-2005, 02:00 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Jim, I believe you're talking about the "MotorAid" heater fan, located right behind your water heater. You have to pull the water heater out to get access to the fan. Not a fun job because of the cramped compartment. While you've got the water heater out, consider replacing the check valves on the back of the water heater with good 'ol positive-shutoff three way valves; -makes for easy winterizing & peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

If you keep using it while it's making noise, it will eventually bind on the shaft (it was probably manufactured poorly to begin with) and start blowing fuse. If you end up taking it out yourself, you might be able to repair/modify the way the squirrel cage is pressed on to the shaft...be sure you check the condition of the heater hoses going to and from it while you have it out.
Old 11-24-2005, 03:58 AM   #15
Jim
Winnebago Owner

i was able to locate the fan compartment behind the water heater but the weather here in n carolina is too cold to mess around with it..i did notice the compartment has small screws holding the sides together and think i might be able to remove the side..i was also able to feel the fan and turn it by hand thru the front floor vent..there is a fold up door there which opens when the coach fan is on..dont put your hand there when the fan is running..i dont want to touch the water heater until the summer when i have more time to handle unexpected problems..thanks for the input..jim
Old 12-17-2005, 12:02 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

After reading these posts I am confused? It appears there are two different problems unless I am mistaken. Some are experiencing noise with the house furnace fan (propane) while others including myself (99 DP Adventurer) are experiencing a noise with the blower motor that operates the heater/air conditioner from the engine. Does anyone know where the blower motor for the engine heater is located on a 99 DP Adventurer?
fun time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:39 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Jim waiting for warmer weather is the right thing to do since removing the water heater and replacing the fan motor on the MotorAid is a real project. Furnace fan motor in rear of coach much easier project. Dash AC/Heater/Defroster also easier than MotorAid the longer coaches have a slightly bigger compartment and one posting claims to have serviced the MotorAid fan unit without removing the water heater. I have serviced the Dash unit "Heater Core" through hood opening without purging AC the 6 Clips that hold the case halves together are really tough to get back on. Intend on replacing MotorAid fan summer 2006 since mine is beginning to whine also. The coolant hose coming into water heater have slack enough to get the water heater slid out almost all the way.
KennethM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:16 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

We have also been having problems with the "Motoraid" fan being noisy. Eventually it got so tight it blew the fuse. I did a lot of reading to find out how to access it since there didn't seem to be an obvious way to get to it.
In all gas coaches (at least 2001 and newer) it's located behind the water heater. On the longer models (35' and up) there is an access panel in the bottom of the compartment. You have to crawl under the coach and remove 6 - 8 screws, remove the panel and access the motor and blower fan.
On the shorter coaches (32' or less) there is no access panel. The water heater has to be removed. Our coach is in storage now but I intend to make the repair when the weather breaks. If it's at all possible I'll make an access opening and panel to make future access easier.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:43 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

Hikerdog: I have this sort of thing starting to happen in my 2001 Itasca. Almost every one I have talked to here in Florida,(snow birds), have the problem in process or have lost theirs.

Where did you find the fuse for the motoraide fan? I am pretty sure I will be replacing in before long. Would appreciate any info you can give.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdog, thanks for the research.
Question: We have a 33v suncruiser. Do you know if this would fall into the 35' and up or 32' ro less?? I know I need to get dirty and take a look, just didn't want to get my expectations up too high.

thanks, jim
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">In all gas coaches (at least 2001 and newer) it's located behind the water heater. On the longer models (35' and up) there is an access panel in the bottom of the compartment. You have to crawl under the coach and remove 6 - 8 screws, remove the panel and access the motor and blower fan.
On the shorter coaches (32' or less) there is no access panel. The water heater has to be removed. Our coach is in storage now but I intend to make the repair when the weather breaks. If it's at all possible I'll make an access opening and panel to make future access easier. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>