Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2006, 10:28 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

misjcy, I have a 34D and I know that the water heater has to be pulled out of the coach to get access to the Motor Aid fan & heater core section. I'm not looking forward to it, and will replace both check valves with 1/4 turn ball valves while I'm in the neighborhood.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:00 AM   #22
Winnebago Master

Homer: The fuse for the Motoraid blower in our coach (Ford F53 chassis) is under the dash on the left side. When you to flip the instrument cluster up there's a covered box approx. 6" square on the left side. The cover pops off and there are several fuses and breakers inside. Before you pop the cover off look to see which way it's oriented. It will only go back on 1 way but is close in all the other positions. I believe the fuse is in the left row but I'm not positive.
It's best to use a test light with the ignition in the on position. Hook the clip to a known good ground and stick the probe in the top of the fuse. It should light on both sides. If it lights on one side but not the other the fuse is bad.
Troth: I think the 32, 33, and 34 all need to have the water heater removed. Our "32" is actually a little over 33' long. It's 32' 11" measured from the front of the fiberglass to the back panel. It doesn't include the rear bumper, ladder or anything else beyond the rear vertical surface.
I believe the 35 and longer are built on the 228" wheelbase chassis. They're the ones with the access panel.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #23
Winnebago Master

Hikerdogs, Thank a million for the info on the fuse,and the heads up on the alignment of the box cover. On the highway this will save a ton of looking.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:20 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

It looks like my AUX Coach Heat fan has also bit the dust. It blows the fuse whenever I try to turn it on. I haven't removed the water heater yet, plan to after this upcoming trip.

But I have looked at the install, & I believe the reason the fan motor fails is because the motor is fully enclosed in the heat duct, & the constant heat from the nearby heat exchanger has an adverse affect on the motor.

On your normal vehicle, the fan motor is located in ambient air in the engine compartment. I am thinking of replacing the fan motor with an external fan similar to the ones on the engine radiator, only smaller, mounted on the outside of the heat exchanger coil. It would have to be powerfull enough to open the hinged door.

I noticed that the air intake grill for the AUX Coach heater is located on the floor, behind the passenger seat, under the pullout leaf table. If one was to put a small muffin fan on top of the grill, it would push the heated coach air into the basement, providing heat during cold weather. Just a thought.