Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-09-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Coach Heater

I have had a 2002 Itasca for about 4 years and am still puzzled how the coach heater works.
Does this operate a fan somewhere in the rear?
Should I be able to hear it?
Where does the heat come out?
The manual doesn't say much about it. Just wondering????? Bob
rbates1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Bob...you should have two heat sources, a propane furnace in the rear that puts heat out of floor registers, and a heat pump that puts heat out from the ceiling. The heat pump will not work much below 40f out side temp. Both unit are controlled by the same tsat. heat pump is electric and furnace is propane,,,hope this helps
Old 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Coach Heater

I'm referring to the switch on the dash that says "Coach heater High and low" I don't have a heat pump.I supposed that the heat came from the engine. Bob
Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yes the Heat comes from the engine when driving. There is a Fan under the floor behind the front seats.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

You might tell us what model Itasca you have so people with the same model could chime in and help you. Put it in you signature block
Old 12-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbates1944 View Post
I have had a 2002 Itasca for about 4 years and am still puzzled how the coach heater works.
Does this operate a fan somewhere in the rear?
Should I be able to hear it?
Where does the heat come out?
The manual doesn't say much about it. Just wondering????? Bob
I have a 2002 Itasca suncruiser 35U. My heater is behind the water on the curb side behind the passenger seat. I have a table for chair behind the passenger seat and the return is under the table. The supply register is behind and between the front seats.It looks just like the other floor registers but air only comes out of it when front heat is on and not when the furnace is on. You should be able to tell which one it is by turning on dash switch without the furnace being on. Mine started to make a high pitched noise so I think my motor is going out and since it is behind the water heater it is difficult to get to.
Heating man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

You should be getting heat from the coach heater from the registers in the floor and they are powered by a swperate fan from the front heater. The registers are, of course, the same ones used by your furnace. In my experience, the fan for the coach heater is verry quiet on the couple of Winnie products we have had.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This could be motoraid , small unit benieth the bed , hot water from engine is directed to the unit the small blower fan is switched from the dash . Tell tale sign is two circular outlets on bed base
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

Coach Heater

Thanks to all. I think I finally understand how this works.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjnr View Post
This could be motoraid , small unit benieth the bed , hot water from engine is directed to the unit the small blower fan is switched from the dash . Tell tale sign is two circular outlets on bed base
The Motoraid for my 1999 Brave 35C was beneath the bed, but the Motoraid in my 2003 Adventurer is just behind the doghouse from the front and behind the water heater from the passenger side. My fan also howls, but you have to take out the water heater and work through that space to fix it.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

There are usually three or four sources of heat available for MH's
1. As the engine is running the heat source is the same as it is in your car. It is using the engines cooling water and circulating the heat from it thru air ducts on and around your dash. If you have a Diesel the chances are the heat has to travel from the rear of the coach and loses some of the heat as it travels forward making it a less than desirable heat source.
2. Some, but not all rooftop airconditioners have a reverse air style of heat. Air cooling in the summer and heat from the same source when heat is called for. This will work well when you are plugged in at temps above 20 deg. or so. They are not efficient below that. The heat source will come from the same vents that your roof air uses.
3. Most RV's will also have an LP gas furnace or two. Mine has one in the bedroom and one under the kitchen sink. The two furnaces have their own duct work that usually direct the heat thru vents independently of the other two sources. They usually will have vents in the basement area of the coach and probably directs heat to the tanks as well. The thermostates for each system may or may not be shared. Although the one from the engine will always be on the dash.
4. My MH also has a fireplace. That is an electric heater that attemps to look like a fireplace. It works well to take the morning chill off, but you would not want to count on it heating the complete coach.
5. Free standing space heaters are also used by some. That requires enough amps from your electric source to handle the load and can be dangerous.
I hope this will help and is not to basic to answer your question.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #12

There is also one called the Motoraid. It is plumbed into the Engine Hot water It may be Series or pareall The the existing Front heater, That is the reason for what is known as the infamous H valve; I like the Rear hot water system as the coach is nice and warm while you are running... I have repaired many of coach that had flame out on there propane heater. The flame is on the outside rather then in the flame tube. It makes a mess of the side of the moterhome; I say DO NOT RUN YOUR PROPANE HEATER/FERNAS while driving...
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater