Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2018, 06:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

CO monitor

I am having a strange problem with my CO monitor in a Minnie Winnie towable. The monitor will go off for no reason in the middle of the night. There is no heat on, no gas water heater or fridge (all on campground power). One time, the A/C was running and one time there was nothing running. Both times, the overhead vent window was open. I replaced the batteries and within a week, it was alarming again. Am I missing something? I do not understand what is creating CO gas to set off the alarm.
BigDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
aa1ssradio

It could be bad as they do go bad. Does it go off with that vent window closed??
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

It only seems to go off in the middle of the night. I have not tried it with the vent closed yet. I just closed it yesterday in the driveway. I don't hear it at night when in the drive, only when we are in it trying to sleep! I do understand they can go bad and it is possible that it is indeed bad, but the camper is only a 2017 and built late 2016. I cannot imagine it is already bad, unless it is defective.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:22 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Could be defective - might be dust or cooking exhaust/debris. We use the vacuum cleaner regularly to clean ours.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Is this a CO only detector or a propane/CO detector? If it is a dual detector and mounted close to the floor, lots of non-hazardous stuff can set it off as well as dust. Got pets? Dogs (and I suppose cats) can set these off. Vacuum the detector and if you still get alarms, replace it. They can go bad.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:35 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Our CO detector is integrated with the LP alarm it doesn't have batteries and is hardwired into the trailer 12V system. Besides a defective detector bad wiring is a known situation that can cause false alarms. I would check the connections on the detector and where it ties into the 12V system.

Was someone running a generator or vehicle engine and exhaust is getting in? Exhaust can set off the LP/CO detector. One last thing is there should be a replacement date on the detector. Just because the trailer is newer doesn't mean it wasn't sitting in inventory at the RV manufacturer so I'd check the date as well. Lastly there was a recall for some Safe T Alert LPG/CO detectors in 2016. I don't know if they ended up in any Winnebago's but it was talked about a lot on the Forest River site that I use to belong to. So it is worth seeing if you detector might have been recalled.

Are you talking about the smoke alarm? We've had ours go off in our old trailer due to campfire smoke coming in through the open ceiling vent. All we could do is close up as there isn't much you can do about a smokey campground. I ended up relocating the alarm away from the ceiling vent. and windows.
old_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
check this:https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/f...xide-detectors
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

Since you have replaced the batteries, it is more than likely defective as Ranger Smith said. Replace it.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Is this a CO only detector or a propane/CO detector? If it is a dual detector and mounted close to the floor, lots of non-hazardous stuff can set it off as well as dust. Got pets? Dogs (and I suppose cats) can set these off. Vacuum the detector and if you still get alarms, replace it. They can go bad.
Pets can defiantly set them off.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
After scrolling through this thread, it may well be condensation. The first time was running A/C on a humid night and the next week was a very cool night. Both times were vent open. That begins to make sense.

As for pets, I am not convinced of that. Dogs have never been in camper and previous owner had none and only used it twice. May be some dust, but nothing abnormal. It is also mounted near the ceiling which reduces the dust kicked up from the floor. As for others, it is indeed a CO monitor and not a fire or propane monitor. All three are separate in various parts of the camper.

Thanks
Old 06-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have to admit that a CO alarm terrifies me. We had to replace one in our RV at about 2 years; I "assume" it may have sat on a shelf for a few years before it was installed since we got nowhere near 5 years from it.

At any rate, once we installed the new wired one I ordered a couple of portable battery-operated units that we also carry. I don't want to "wake up dead."
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogs View Post
It only seems to go off in the middle of the night. I have not tried it with the vent closed yet. I just closed it yesterday in the driveway. I don't hear it at night when in the drive, only when we are in it trying to sleep! I do understand they can go bad and it is possible that it is indeed bad, but the camper is only a 2017 and built late 2016. I cannot imagine it is already bad, unless it is defective.

Is it over 5 years old if so that happens and it flashes a code that you can decide in the owners manual replace it
They time out
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Any of the detectors, LP or CO, can be damaged (ruined) by aerosol spray being used in the RV. The carrier in the aerosol destroys the sensors. It may be that the detector is notifying you of a bad sensor.
luckydog1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:48 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogs View Post
I am having a strange problem with my CO monitor in a Minnie Winnie towable. The monitor will go off for no reason in the middle of the night. There is no heat on, no gas water heater or fridge (all on campground power). One time, the A/C was running and one time there was nothing running. Both times, the overhead vent window was open. I replaced the batteries and within a week, it was alarming again. Am I missing something? I do not understand what is creating CO gas to set off the alarm.

If you are under warranty get the monitor replaced. Barrow one from your stick & brick or from a willing neighbor. If that one alarms, check for a CO leak from your water heater (if running on propane) or the fridge (same thing). Vent could be blocked by yellow-jacket nest or some other critter.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:39 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Maybe coach batteries charging

We had issue with the coach batteries gassing out and setting off the LP leak detector.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote