Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Clunky old rear view cam has been replaced.

It's hard to remember what 'technology' looked like in 2002, but I am sure a B/W, cathode ray tube monitor was 'something to have' back then. That big chunky box looked like it would 'brain' you in an accident. I saved 20lbs and replaced B/W with a 7" color monitor and cam by eRapta off Amazon for <$120. Even the camera is about 2/3rds the size.

One concern was the power and connection differences in these last 16 years. Luckily, my guy (I did not install it myself - he does car stereos and emergency vehicles) said it was a piece of cake. I was concerned about running new cable from front to back. One more upgrade - off the list.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RVcam1.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	679.7 KB
ID:	169379   Click image for larger version

Name:	RVcam2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	169380  

Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 09:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

How did he pull the old and run the new cable through the long ceiling? I am looking into replacing mine too, though in this case using one of those new double DIN Android stereos in the dash pod (with GPS and camera input). I have been thinking about running the cable through the basement instead but first I would have to find a way down through the back wall and into the basement over the water tank.

'97 Adventurer 34WA
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

n0... He said he did not have to anything - as, I gather, that pin setup is kind of an industry standard. (I was afraid of having to re-wire - $$) Cheers.

Jim
Old 04-28-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Well, the Android stereos I'm looking at have RCA in for the camera(s) and most of the cameras I've seen are also RCA connection. Are there RCA/4-pin adapters? Is the (B&W) camera end of the original cable plugged into the camera or hardwired in?
Old 04-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, I'm lacking in detail, n0 ...but all I knew was he said'; 'it was dead simple' ..using the existing wiring. I do know the old CRT unit had a large round jack in the rear.

I was thinking this morning, sorting out a bad connection in my security cam at home, that I could have had a pretty fancy system had I used these cams instead. I hook to an NVR running off 110v, but I gather you can rig a laptop as a monitor.

I have a spare 27" iMac that I want to wall-mount in the hooch but it would not be visible from the driver's seat. (Other than Mr. Hamfister here, Cat6 cable and RJ45 connectors are pretty easy (ahem) to configure.)

My only criticism of this new RV cam is the small screen. My eyes are 36" from the screen and 7" is a very small view — especially for someone who sits ~24" from 27". The good news, it is not constantly needed.

Jim
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Popping the grommet over the camera out, I found the rear connector, so that end shouldn't be a problem,I just have to get the grommet transferred from one camera's cord to the other. I also found RCA adapters on ebay, so the front end shouldn't be a big problem either (assuming it's the right gender plug) to feed into the stereo. Then I can remove the B&W screen
Old 04-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Cool. Chart your progress. I'm sure there are lotsa people who would like to make the change.

Jim
Old 04-30-2018, 08:49 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

My backup's CRT is mounted in the dash so my plan is to mount the new monitor in the same spot with appropriate trim to make it fit.

Being dash mounted means the old CRT out of the way and, since it still works, this isn't that high on my priority list.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetstuff View Post
Cool. Chart your progress...
Okay, My progress... I ordered a camera, 4-pin not RCA connectors, but it is a larger 4-pin connector than the factory-installed Sony system has. Does anyone make an adapter between those two 4-pin connectons? If not, I'm sure I can disassemble and swap the cables on the two cameras, but I'd rather not.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

It might not be as simple as finding an adapter since you need to match the pins function-wise. The technical term is "pin-out", which you may be able to find in your documentation or online for each system. If the pin-outs are different, it would be easier to do the swap, being careful to connect the right wires together, including the shields.

Personally, I'd just do the swap and forget trying to find an adapter.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I found a small 4-pin extension cable (6') on Amazon but when I went to plug it in to the monitor end of the installed cable for a test fit I found it was smaller than what Sony used!! That's now 3 sizes of 4-pin camera connectors I've had my hands on. I might still be able to butcher this extension to make it work. If not, I'll have to just cut and splice the existing one as I was hoping not to do.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Cut and splice (solder), don't try to force things. It will be easier and better. Again, you'll need to figure out which wires to connect to each other.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I got the old camera cable swapped to the new camera (and pins identified) and it is working with the old B/W monitor... sort of, the new camera is sending PAL so the picture rolls. I'll reopen the camera to see if there is a PAL/NTSC jumper to change on the board. Otherwise I think the new 2-din stereo will handle PAL.

I also carefully split and spread the too-small female connector on the new extension cable so that it fits into the factory installed Sony cable (and marked where the keyway should line up since there is no key to match it). I will then splice power and RCA cable pigtails to the other end of the extension once I route it down to where the stereo is being installed.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Last update, I did find a PAL/NTSC pad to jumper in the camera, everything installed and working. The newer camera is a little narrower FOV than the old B/W one but for its primary purpose (back-up, not driving rear view) that's okay.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:51 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

I replaced my entire system last summer, including adding a right turn-signal activated camera, but I went so far as to also replace the Sony camera wiring, with the new wiring supplied with my system. HOWEVER, they do sell some adapter cables which are plug'n'play. Don't know if hey have what you want, but they are a helpful cust service dept.
https://www.rearviewsafety.com/backu...-systems.html/
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I have a modern B/U camera I'd purchased for, but never installed on my travel trailer before I sold it.

Since my Sony B&W camera still works, I think I'll install the new one to supplement the existing Sony. I think it has two cameras so I'll probably try using one as an electronic rear-view mirror.

A funny thing happened the other day. I'd been playing with the volume control on the Sony camera and, when I drove the motorhome a few days later, I couldn't figure out why the traffic noises were so loud!

Tags
ace, replace