Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On our trip from Va to here in SC a drawer in the bedroom along the bed came open. Never has before. When we opened the bedroom slide, we never gave it a thought. Bent the whole wooden frame of the closet. In doing so, bent the sliders for the drawers. What a mess.

I wanted to call our dealer to see if this was warranty work since the drawer opened. Chuck said probably not. So he's trying to fix it.

Chuck and Carol

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 10:37 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

On our trip from Va to here in SC a drawer in the bedroom along the bed came open. Never has before. When we opened the bedroom slide, we never gave it a thought. Bent the whole wooden frame of the closet. In doing so, bent the sliders for the drawers. What a mess.

I wanted to call our dealer to see if this was warranty work since the drawer opened. Chuck said probably not. So he's trying to fix it.

Chuck and Carol

2007 Itasca Meridian DP
C&C R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Chuck, if it helps, I had the same thing happen to me on my '04 Journey. I was able to repair it myself but I considered it a design defect. It was the fake drawer that covers the sleep number bed pump and the cheap snaps they use wouldn't keep it in place. The same design came on my '05 Vectra so I modified it before it could damage the slide.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

CalTex - What did you do to modify the false drawer front? This floppy deal has always bothered me, but I wasn't sure what would be a good fix other than putting screws thru the front panel and screwing it to the nightstand. I think the majority of Winnebago's engineers have never even seen an RV, let alone actually used one. John Crean, who designed the Fleetwood Bounder back in the late 80's was actually a camper himself and his designs showed it (I owned a '93 Bounder). Things at Fleetwood really went to pot in the late 90's and early 2000's after he retired.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 06:03 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

WAGONMASTER2: I sure second your remarks on John Crean. I drove one of his Bounders for many many miles. It was bulletproof, my wife is still in love with it. Even though I never had a minutes trouble with the 454 Chevy, I did not think she had many more miles left in her and sold it.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Wagonmaster2 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Wagonmaster2, I left the original snaps in place but added strips of velcro to hold the panel in place. Haven't had any problems since, it seems really snug.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Carol, I had the same problem one of the first times opening the b/r slide on my new coach. Luckily I caught it fast and did no damage.

I also believe this is a bad design, where Winnie needs improved secure latches for these drawers.

I like the velcro idea. I think I might implement it.

Any other ideas to keep these drawers securely closed?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Thanks CalTex - the velcro sounds like a good, quick, easy way to fix a bad problem. I'm definitely going to Hobby Lobby to get the fixing for this. I was thinking about just adding some more clips, but that runs into time and extra effort to line everything up perfectly. Your idea definitely beats that. Thanks again.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Old 12-17-2007, 06:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

CalTex - loved your velcro fix. Put an inch of velcro on each side today, and boy does it hold now. May have to leave instructions for whoever might need to remove that door cover next or they are apt to pull the handle off trying to remove the door. Thought maybe I would need 6-8 inches of velcro on each side, but noway does it need that much. Thanks again for the suggestion - no wonder this forum is so great.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G