Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Clear Coat Respray?

My 89 is looking a little rough on the outside. Pricing for paint, plasti-dip, or vinyl wrap just isn't cost effective based on what I paid for the RV. The clear coat has peeled off over the years but I can still see it in some places. I'm considering sanding it all off, repainting the decals, and respraying the clear coat. Is this feasible, or just another one of my pipe dreams?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WeChat Image_20190511204848.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	171682  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:55 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Here is something you might try try.
Find a less conspicuous place to experiment, Use a scotch brightpad, very fine wet sand paper or something similar and remove as much of the loose clear coat as you can being careful not to scuff up the base coat. Clean it thoroughly. get all the wax and grease off.
Spray about three coats of clear from a can and see if you like it. It won't be like new, but might be a lot better than what you have now. If you like the results, buy a decent gun and middle of the road or better clear coat and have at it.
This response might bring more reply's than your post. We will see..
Please post your results if you undertake the task.
Good luck,
Creede
Creede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:57 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creede View Post
Here is something you might try try.
Find a less conspicuous place to experiment, Use a scotch brightpad, very fine wet sand paper or something similar and remove as much of the loose clear coat as you can being careful not to scuff up the base coat. Clean it thoroughly. get all the wax and grease off.
Spray about three coats of clear from a can and see if you like it. It won't be like new, but might be a lot better than what you have now. If you like the results, buy a decent gun and middle of the road or better clear coat and have at it.
This response might bring more reply's than your post. We will see..
Please post your results if you undertake the task.
Good luck,
Creede
I have been corrected that this is gelcoat and not clear coat. Zep high gloss floor polish has been suggested, and at $30 a gallon, I think I will try that first.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Eric, You can shoot clear over gelcoat ..you can apply Zep. I can paint, but you're talking about boo-koo bucks for decent clear. I like these folks: https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com

It took me about 24hrs to seriously regret Zep. I had to work my azz off to remove it. I bought a decent sponge applicator but there was no way I could get that to layout on a vertical wall without stripes. (I should try it in a gun someday..)

The other issue: a perfect paint job/wax job wants a perfect base. I'd find someone who's willing to detail that surface before you put anything on top.

Stay away from Plasti-dip. That ends up looking like an old sunburn in not too long a time. (and is a PITA to remove) ...leave it for the kids.

Vinyl is a monster job - find a sign company and ....get a quote. (bring your heart medicine)

'Someone' is going to have to spend many hours with a 7" wool pad and it will still never be perfect.

I am back working on the inside of mine...

Good luck.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I just enlarged your photo - you're in a tough spot. A buffer is not going to bring back those stripes. I'd shoot the whole thing with a single stage white - the second coat with a bunch of clear in it to bump the gloss and do some pinline stripes for detail ...another color for the basement.

The trick is finding a spot to do it. We have pollen, lotsa bugs and humidity. I shoot small stuff in a construction trailer but would have to raise, and shroud, a tin carport to shoot mine.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
1999 chieftain 33

Yes it is gel coat just like a boat. What you want to do is get a polisher and some quick cut polish then compound then wax you're finish will come back I own a 1999 Winnie chieftain and had the same issue. I use turtle Wax polish turtle Wax compound and turtle Wax wax. First you polish to get an excellent shine back then you wash it like crazy and then compound it and wash it like crazy and then wax it prepared to do this every couple years at most.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Paint your rv

Ericb760

Eric if you love your Chieftan than paint it...

There are tons of videos on You tube how to paint with rustoleum. I did mine and get complements all the time. Total cost might of been $500

Get a harbor Freight gun mix the Industrial Rustoeum 50/50 paint thinner to paint. Practice on some card board. Sand it down with 180 grit on a DA... No need for primer the gel coat becomes the primer.

make it yours.... I had so much fun i might do mine again this fall

check this out

1991 Winnebago Elandan - iRV2 Forums
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190608_205437.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	171726  
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwatson View Post
Yes it is gel coat just like a boat. What you want to do is get a polisher and some quick cut polish then compound then wax you're finish will come back I own a 1999 Winnie chieftain and had the same issue. I use turtle Wax polish turtle Wax compound and turtle Wax wax. First you polish to get an excellent shine back then you wash it like crazy and then compound it and wash it like crazy and then wax it prepared to do this every couple years at most.
Assuming that you have the interest and time to do this, follow Carl's suggestion. Spend $300 on equipment, pads, compound, spend 20 hours on doing a section or two and learn from that. Rear of coach is often a small and defined section, and any radius shines great; makes you think you're better than you are and it gets you ready for the flat panels.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM   #9
1999 chieftain 33

About right but do harbor freight freight for the polisher/buffer about 25bucks each about 100 bucks in the polish ect about 100 hours later will be good. Hint very very lightly on the decals with the polish and compound.
carlwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwatson View Post
About right but do harbor freight freight for the polisher/buffer about 25bucks each about 100 bucks in the polish ect about 100 hours later will be good. Hint very very lightly on the decals with the polish and compound.
Thanks. I don't think I'm going to start this project until Fall, it's just too hot here in the desert. As for the decals, I intend to redo them with colors a little less 1980's...
Old 06-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Sanding with 180 grit will strip paint fast, but it will leave a zillion deep scores that no paint on earth will be able to cover. Final sanding before paint needs to be 300-400 grit.

Thinning with 50% will result in a ruined pot of paint; you'll blow a watery substance onto the surface and watch it run down onto the ground. Thinning is an art that depends on temperature and surface; you want the paint to flow so you don't have orange peel (bumps in the paint) but too much flowing and you get runs.

There is a LOT more to painting than has been suggested by this post...do a lot of research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Ericb760

Eric if you love your Chieftan than paint it...

There are tons of videos on You tube how to paint with rustoleum. I did mine and get complements all the time. Total cost might of been $500

Get a harbor Freight gun mix the Industrial Rustoeum 50/50 paint thinner to paint. Practice on some card board. Sand it down with 180 grit on a DA... No need for primer the gel coat becomes the primer.

make it yours.... I had so much fun i might do mine again this fall

check this out

1991 Winnebago Elandan - iRV2 Forums