Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #1
Site Team

Clear Coat Peeling on the Roof

Hey all,

I was on the roof to do some fixing of a slide topper awning and noticed that I’m starting to get some clear coat peeling. Our Vists 32K has full body paint and it comes up and over the side to cover about 6 inches of the roof and it looks to be above the bend and not really visible from below. (Which I think is a good thing)

I’m considering purchasing some 2K clear and attempting to fix it to stop the damaged from getting worse. I think I can do it and considering that you’d only see it from the top I’m not sure I’m going to worry about base coat/clear coat. I’m sure it’s not going to be perfect, but I’m ok with that if I can stop the bleed. A bit of sanding to get the ridges down and then just lay some clear overtop. Easy, right???

Any novices done this as a DIY?
Old 09-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like a plan, just don't sand thru the color.... I see some peeling on mine in a spot above the bend too. Seen others that went down the side over the bend. Get it now b4 it gets worse.....
Old 09-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
Sounds like a plan, just don't sand thru the color.... I see some peeling on mine in a spot above the bend too. Seen others that went down the side over the bend. Get it now b4 it gets worse.....

I ordered the 2K clear today from Amazon. $22 for a rattle can of clear is a bit up there.

I've got a variety pack of wet sanding sheets from 800-2500 grit. I know I don't want to gotoo deep but really on the top I'm not as worried if I do go into the paint. I also am not going to be 100% sure that I get the ridges off the old to new clear but I want to be sure I get all the loose pieces cleaned up. I mainly want to stop the spread.

I guess I'll be learning something new this weekend. The weather is supposed to be HOT in SoCal so it will definitely have plenty of heat to cure.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Put on multiple coats and it will seal everything really well. Don't spray too thin of a coat. A heavier coat will seal, look better. Granted, looks aren't too important, but still. Just don't go so thick it runs. You'll be surprised how well it actually will turn out... Let us know how it goes...
Old 09-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltLife View Post
You'll be surprised how well it actually will turn out... Let us know how it goes...

I hope so. I'll try to get some before and after pictures.

Tags
roof