Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Clear coat finish is peeling, again

Just wondering how many owners of 2002-2006 Winnebagos are still having trouble with the clear coat finish peeling off the front/rear caps and all along the roof curvatures?
I had to have my 2004 Meridian re-painted in Forest City in 2008 (the claim was this was due to a light coverage to comply with environmental controls during that period of time. But now it's doing it all over again so I'm wondering what the excuse is going to be now.
How many of you have had to have your coach re-painted at least once and now maybe needing it again?
Don't know whether to have a local small body shop do it this time or make my 4th trip to FC for another paint job. They did it free in 2008 so I'm wondering what the cost will be now there or at a paint shop. But not even sure our small town has one that can handle a large coach, even though the one I use for cars does excellent work.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Just had the areas you mentioned redone with clearcoat a couple of months ago along with the entire nose (removing diamond shield and repainting) due to badly cracking of the Diamond Shield. No more Diamond Shield for me.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Harry - could I ask about what it cost you for that job? I don't know what Winnebago's paint shop will charge for that work but I'm sure it will be plenty, besides the $8-$900 it will cost me to get there and back home (and maybe another $200 or so for motel room if they can't do it in one day, which they did last time and may be the reason it hasn't lasted any better).
Old 08-07-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I removed the clear plastic that came from factory on the front of my Suncruiser. It pulled some of the paint off the lower front bumper area. I have a quote of $850. By a local reputable RV repair service in Ashland, VA to rep ain't. I am waiting for Labor Day to pass as they are booked and will get to me after the big holiday weekend.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Oh yes time for a re-paint on my '05 Journey. The color coat on the the curved roof edge also need to be done the entire length in addition to the front and rear end caps. Would not have it done at the factory. Looking at paint shops around the country. Will be a road trip when I find the right place.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Don't feel too bad. My 99 Airstream had the clearcoat peeling on the top front and back when we bought it 6 years ago. Seems to have peeled off down so far and then stopped getting worse - so who cares.

My theory is they stand on the ground to spray it on so by the time they get to the top it is a bit too much of a stretch to get a decent coating thickness applied.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

If you call Dave at CDI in Forest City I think you will suprised at the cost. Dave took care of mine and I am happy with the results . This is problem with other makes to not just Winnebago. It was a one day fix ,so not all gloom and doom.
cclerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I just got a quote from Advance Custom Paint here in MI. $3316 to do the front and rear cap area along with the side radius. Precision Paint in IN quoted me just over $1600 last winter. Also, ours has been painted twice as well. I contacted a company that does wraps but they never have gotten back with me so I guess that's not an option. I have a hard time understanding why it doesn't last. My thought is that it's just poorer preparation and application. Once they have your money they know it will last at least as long as any warranty they would give you. So not much for them to worry about. I see where they make a topside boat paint with a high gloss that you can apply with a foam roller. Problem is getting a paint color that could come close to what you have for a color scheme but so far I haven't found anything.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Harry - could I ask about what it cost you for that job? I don't know what Winnebago's paint shop will charge for that work but I'm sure it will be plenty, besides the $8-$900 it will cost me to get there and back home (and maybe another $200 or so for motel room if they can't do it in one day, which they did last time and may be the reason it hasn't lasted any better).
Wagonmaster,
I spend about $3700 for the stated repairs. I forgot to mention that it also included repainting a basement door and had the vent cover and roof AC cover painted to match the coach. Everything came out great. Like new again :-)
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclerk View Post
If you call Dave at CDI in Forest City I think you will suprised at the cost. Dave took care of mine and I am happy with the results . This is problem with other makes to not just Winnebago. It was a one day fix ,so not all gloom and doom.
Surprised glad or surprised "oh my gosh"? I wonder if CDI has a number of their own or if I just need to Winnebago Customer Service?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Having painted many coaches over the years with this problem, we've yet to have one come back after repairs were made. I can't imagine any shop that could preform the necessary repairs in less then a couple days if following the correct procedures. Typically all the old clear needs to be sanded off and in doing so will get it into the color, so color needs to be re-applied and a high quality 2 to 1 urethane clear applied with at least 3 coats or 3mil thickness. If the peeling clear isn't removed and/or edges feathered it will lift the new applied clear in time. So if a shop was to just scuff and shoot in a single day, then yes I'd expect the new to start flaking in due time. Average cost here in Washington State to properly prep, paint & clear is $2500.

Jim Lewis
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:37 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

I noticed my front cap and the sides all the way back peeling several years ago. I emailed Winnebago and had a reply back from CDI looking to help before I got up in the morning.

I already had a local RV shop with a 50' HEPA paint booth look at it and had the two talk.. CDI wanted to send paint and cover labor, but my shop said No, they if they are going to guarantee the job for life it's with their paint. They finally figured it out and did the job. It still looks better than new, but now I need to do the back cap.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

We've got the roof to side corners peeling and we're currently getting price quotes on vinyl wraps on these areas as another option to repainting. Has anyone tried this process? They seem to last quite a while on trucks and buses in our area...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Bus Wrap-Motor Coach .jpg
Views:	739
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	70333   Click image for larger version

Name:	8401663793_931dfed4b8_o.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	70334  

Mr Miyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem with my paint. I plan on getting it fixed this summer. I think I will call CDI on Monday and see what they can offer.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:31 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
Having painted many coaches over the years with this problem, we've yet to have one come back after repairs were made. I can't imagine any shop that could preform the necessary repairs in less then a couple days if following the correct procedures. Typically all the old clear needs to be sanded off and in doing so will get it into the color, so color needs to be re-applied and a high quality 2 to 1 urethane clear applied with at least 3 coats or 3mil thickness. If the peeling clear isn't removed and/or edges feathered it will lift the new applied clear in time. So if a shop was to just scuff and shoot in a single day, then yes I'd expect the new to start flaking in due time. Average cost here in Washington State to properly prep, paint & clear is $2500.

Jim Lewis
Thanks for that information Jim. It's good to be informed about procedures when talking to a repair shop. I would imagine your next to last sentence probably pretty well covers the procedure at CDI since they do the job in one day and are usually very generous with their cost.
Does you dollar figure above cover only one color from front to back or would also cover it if the color changes several times?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:01 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Just did my Front Cap 2 weeks ago, go.
I sanded the entire Cap with 320 down to the original color then sprayed Dupont primer/sealer - sanded that down with 400- re-primed and sanded with 800.
Applied 2 coats of Dupont - Nason custom color matched Base Coat- flash time 20 min between coats, next sprayed 4 coats of Dupont Clear (Med) flash time 20 min between coats- 3 med coats and the final coat I laid on heavy .
I only pained the Cap- Masked off the sides and entire front and roof back about 6 ft..
I began spraying the from the top down as I was using a 30 year a DeVilbiss Siphon Gun- didn't want to run low on paint while spraying at such a steep angle. Did the sides and front last in the process.
Its came out smooth as glass so I'm thinking of not wet sanding and buffing, besides 2 days later and I'm still a little sore from climbing up and down so many times. I might add that I also had cooperative weather ( mid 70's and sunshine- Hum 46 % for 3 days.
Paint and material cost $ 118
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Cap.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	70345  
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
.... vinyl wraps on these areas as another option to repainting. Has anyone tried this process? They seem to last quite a while on trucks and buses in our area...
A local place that does lots of boats suggested about $5000 for a full wrap of my choice. If it works on boats (sun and salt and 50MPH spray), then a MH ought to last 10 years. My MH is 37', so others might be more or less.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:29 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
I see where they make a topside boat paint with a high gloss that you can apply with a foam roller. Problem is getting a paint color that could come close to what you have for a color scheme but so far I haven't found anything.
Boat paint is solid colors, and I'd go with pure white high-gloss on any roof area above the drip rail. Dark coaches could use black or gray, but it's a polyurethane type of paint, so you could also check a paint store for single stage High Gloss custom-mixed colors if you want.

It is a stupid-simple process, and costs more of your time than your money.

Agreed with comments that warn against quick jobs that don't remove original finish, then prep, prime and spray according to Hoyle. Auto body shops probably don't want the business because they're used to placing painted units into a drying cabinet and wouldn't have control over a backyard type of paint job (open air outside).
Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post

Its came out smooth as glass so I'm thinking of not wet sanding and buffing, besides 2 days later and I'm still a little sore from climbing up and down so many times. I might add that I also had cooperative weather ( mid 70's and sunshine- Hum 46 % for 3 days.
Paint and material cost $ 118
Looks great, Chuck. Once I get the main part of the coach painted and striped, I begin working on the driver's side window panel that is riddled with blisters in the paint...so factory jobs aren't perfect. I'll have to spray that because it's a paint match for a metallic color in base/clear.
Your price of materials is wonderful. A quart each of base and clear was $200 at my supplier, so happy to know that some of us get breaks on price
Old 08-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Im up in Brainerd Mn at my Buddy's Paint shop now- we spent the last 3 days re-finishing my sidewalls- wow lot of work prepping
Here's a few shots
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	All Primed.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	70347   Click image for larger version

Name:	All Primed L-S.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	70348