Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a '98 Brave that is sitting at the end of my driveway waiting to melt for the spring. I know my roof will be grey instead of a nice clean white when the snow melts. I was not able to get up on the roof before the snowfall, so all last summer's dirt is still there.

Mired in the snow, but hopefully not for long.

I am hoping someone here can recommend a good cleaner I can use to get the stains out. I will also be redoing all the seams at the same time. The hard part will be doing it before I get in and drive off somewhere when the weather breaks.

At least the recent sunlight is promising.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a '98 Brave that is sitting at the end of my driveway waiting to melt for the spring. I know my roof will be grey instead of a nice clean white when the snow melts. I was not able to get up on the roof before the snowfall, so all last summer's dirt is still there.

I am hoping someone here can recommend a good cleaner I can use to get the stains out. I will also be redoing all the seams at the same time. The hard part will be doing it before I get in and drive off somewhere when the weather breaks.

At least the recent sunlight is promising.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:

At least the recent sunlight is promising. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,

I tie my old Hoover Scrub and Buff to a rope, haul it up and use that old floor scrubber to scrub the roof down with Wesleys Car Wash. Just don't get too close to the edges or vents etc. Scrub the tight spots with an acid brush on a broom handle. Takes all the back beaking out of it and does a better job with much less effort.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:05 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Tom,

Since your rig is all white up there I'd think seriously about putting Eternabond on all the seams and forget them.

I'm going to do mine this summer and I have full body paint so I had to buy $250 worth of auto paint and clear coat. I'm just getting too old to climb up there every six months .

Eternabond has a tape that is white and smooth so it would be almost invisible on your coach.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the idea of the power scrubber. I will probably use eternabond on the roof edge seams at the gutters. There are currently no signs of leakage and the material is not loose at all. I figure eternabond to seal them forever (or at least as long as we own the motorhome). At least the seams at the gutters are smooth and straight. Not sure about eternabond on the other seams as few are smooth and easy to cover. I'll have to take a closer look at it.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: In the past I have cleaned the roof just like the rest of the coach--pressure washer. I know, some will say it can damage the coach. If you don't know how to use it, that may be true. It takes me about 6 or 7 minutes to do the roof and maybe 10-12 minutes for the rest of the coach. Even the calking turns sparkling white. Anyway, I like my pressure washer for lots of other stuff and wouldn't give it up.
Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I don't currently own a pressure washer. There are enough other projects around the house that it might be a worthwhile investment. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Tom:

I use Turtle Wax Wash N Wax car wash and a soft truck brush I got at Flying J with an adjustable fiberglass handle. Gets the roof really clean. I did use the pressure washer once but it did not seem to get any cleaner than using the Turtle Was wash and I didn't have to be concerned with where/how I aimed the washer.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 03:06 PM   #9

Or you can use an ADCO with TyVek cover and that would eliminate any dirt on your roof. We will remover our cover in a month, and the roof and sidewalls will look as new as the day we bought the unit....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote