Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Hi Folks,

Has anybody figured out an easy (or even hard) way to clean the front of the rear radiator/CAC in a 36RD (or other coach with similar engine access)? Here's the 'normal' access to the top of the engine with the bed lifted up:

Here's the 'full' access if the bed is removed:

Here are two views trying (unsuccessfully) to actually see the radiator from the top:

I had no better luck looking from underneath.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Hi Folks,

Has anybody figured out an easy (or even hard) way to clean the front of the rear radiator/CAC in a 36RD (or other coach with similar engine access)? Here's the 'normal' access to the top of the engine with the bed lifted up:

Here's the 'full' access if the bed is removed:

Here are two views trying (unsuccessfully) to actually see the radiator from the top:

I had no better luck looking from underneath.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Chris,
I have the ISB and access to the CAC is not quite as restricted as yours is with the CAT. I use the wand on a garden sprayer to reach in as much as possible from both through the under the bed access and from underneath and spray the simple green solution on as much of the CAC as I possibly can then do the same with a garden hose to rinse it off. Wet, sloppy, messy - yes, but I have not figured a neater way to do it either.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Chris - I feel your pain every time someone says to just wash from the inside, and I go look at mine and see the same thing you've pictured. I wash mine from the back side 2-3 times a year, never see much washed out, but haven't had any heating problem yet. I can't imagine what it's going to be like changing the fan belts either. Don't know who is exactly responsible, but someone sure hid the rear of the engine from us.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Chris fleetman hit it on the head. the only way is with a garden sprayer & simple green. soak it from both top and underside, I do mine twice a year. and last month when i was at freightliner in Gaffney they do it that same way. messy dirty,but it works.
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I cheat. I do it from the outside with a pressure washer, quarterly. But we're fairly high-mileage - ~1500 miles / month.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:24 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I use the Simple Green and a garden hose also. I would be extremely careful with a power washer, it can bend the cooling fins on the radiator and put water where you might not want it to go. IMHO stick with the simple green and just the hose.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

This is exactly what the top side of my 04 Meridian with CAT C-7 looked like. I used a "pump-type" garden sprayer with a long brass wand and adjustable spray nozzle, filled with undiluted Simple Green. I was able to reach most of the bottom half of the radiator sliding along on my back under the coach. I then opened the large top cover and was able to spray only some of the top half of the radiator. Like you show, removing the bed and the smaller cover was a waste of time, no part of the radiator fins were visible. I also sprayed the entire rear of the radiator which is easily accessible. After letting the radiator soak for a few minutes, I sprayed garden hose pressure water from the rear side of the radiator to the engine side, this prevents wedging the dirt further into the core. I couldn't believe the crud that came out of it!
I did this three times, the last time the water ran clear. My overheating problem has never returned. Of course, extending my "slobber tube" to the rear of the radiator prevents much of this dirt build-up now. Previously, oil spray and fumes collected on the radiator fins creating a sticky surface for dust and dirt to accumulate.
Old 10-20-2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I've owned a pressure washer for years - part of building race cars. I'm familiar with what one can do with one. I've (intentionally) used mine to etch concrete and blow mortar out of joints. You have to use the right tip, engine speed, and wand distance for the application.

Catpowered: What did you use for the extension - just a hose extension and a connector? I guess you secured it somewhere. (Sorry - can't get to the MH to look right now.)

Sounds like something I'd want to do - along with building a deflector for the A/C condenser fan (I hate it when I pull into a dusty park when I forgot to turn off the A/C!!).

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote