Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

My awning fabric (vinyl) needs a good cleaning. Looking for suggestions on what has worked well for others to get them clean.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

My awning fabric (vinyl) needs a good cleaning. Looking for suggestions on what has worked well for others to get them clean.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Good old Bleach. I mix one part bleach to three parts water and spray it on with a pump-up sprayer, After that I wash it with soap.

2004 Winnebago Adventure 37B
Charles99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I have used simple green mixed with water and the Mr. Clean magic eraser (http://www.homemadesimple.com/mrclea...s/eraser.shtml). Works great. Also Magic Eraser is handy for removing bugs as well.
Matt1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 02:19 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I suspect there's a lot of good answers on "what cleaner". I've used the bleach, followed by a soap wash like Charles said. I've also wetted down the awning w/ bleach solution, rolled it up, then washed the coach top to bottom before unfurling the awning. That helps to let it "work" for awhile.
And I've used the Simple Green; it works well too.
One thing I will never use again is the Starbrite series of awning cleaners & black streak removers. They were very strong, and any drips/overspray that fell on the walls of my coach resulted in the wax being eaten off (dull streaks where the finish was stripped off).
Once your awning is clean, I'd strongly recommend giving it a coat of 303 Protectant. It renews the UV inhibitors, makes the vinyl soft and supple, and really helps to keep it clean. Use 303 once, then follow up one more time a month later, and you'll be surprised how nice your awning stays the rest of the season.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Tilex: Mold and Mildew shower cleaner. Works like a charm. Avoid getting much of it on painted surfaces. If it happens rinse with clear water. I have never had a problem with it. Keeps awning looking great all season. I spray awning, roll it up for a half hour, unroll, rinse off. Some stains may need a light brushing.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I too have used the bleach and roll it up for a while idea, works good. I also used a product call "spray 9" and it worked best of all, the awning look like they were just put on. After using it I washed and rinsed again just to be sure it was all off. Did it 2 years ago and havn't seen any ill effects.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
All good solutions for sure. I would reinforce the app of Aerospace 303 or Protectall for long life of the awning. As for procedure in washing, open the awning all the way then close 2/3. Wash the 1/3, open the next 1/3 wash then the final 1/3. Beats trying to battle the whole extended awning.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Good point Hoverbug I've used that technique and it is easier than doing the whole thing at once.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

SCRUB FREE(found at WAL-MART)works absolutly great. Just spray on,wipe off and hose rinse. No elbow grease required and the awning looks new when finished.

Betty Boop(Our white Boxer)
HuBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Hoverbug, I wish you had posted sooner! I fought our awning last weekend and it was a struggle to get it all cleaned..good thing I can swear in different lingos!

2004 Dodge Cummins Diesel H.O., Dually, 4-dr. long box, 6WD.
bobnkathleen hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Try the Streak-X. My husband cleaned the awning while he was washing the motor home. Just extended the awning and used a telescoping brush while he was cleaning the roof. Doesn't require a lot of scrubbing and it really gets the grime off quickly & easily. It does a fabulous job on eliminating those unsightly black streaks too.
WinnieBunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:13 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

one note on using the bleach roll up method which I have used many times and works great.
Rinse very very well. I know this sounds a little lame, but I must have not rinsed good enough after one cleaning and I developed small leaks at the seam next to the roller. I had to use a seam sealer to seal them. So make sure you get a good flush when you do it. I still use the method, but I pay a lot closer attention to the rinsing stage.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Simple green for the cleaner with a good brush then get ACE Hardware brand water sealer and a clean new roller and roll it on. I checked Thompson Water sealer and it didn't state canvas or fabric on the can---but the ACE brand did------------it turned my awning into looking like brand new----brought out all the color and repels the water very well.
Old 07-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

What awning material?? Vinyl or woven acrylic??
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 10:26 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GreatWhite Send a message via Skype™ to GreatWhite
With bleach and bleach type products, is there not a danger of the bleach eating up the thread that the awning is sewn up with?

Sounds like you all have had success with it.. but..

Heck, I have an empty cottage cheese container on my sink that I add a few drops of dish soap and 1/2 cap of bleach to.. add water to it to soak my sink sponges to keep from stinking.. I think these sponges are synthetic something.. definitely not a real ocean type sponge.. and these kitchen sponges desintegrate in that solution.. what would it do to the thread?

If this was Ann Landers I was writing to, I'd sign me "Wondering"
Old 07-05-2005, 11:48 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

No danger, Greatwhite, unless you used a really strong solution (whichis not at all necessary). The thread used on outdoor anwings, tents, etc. is tough stuff. I suspect your sink sponges are some synthetic material that can't tolerate bleach at all.

Any solution over about 10% household bleach is a waste of time for anti-bacterial purposes. If 10% won't kill the buggies, no amounbt of clhlorine is going to do it.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 11:52 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Here's a tip to remove pine pitch from vinyl awnings (or just about anything else): use alcohol. Scrape the worst of thick lobs away if you can, then put some dantured alcohol on a cloth and rub the spot.

Alcohol works on acrylic fabric awnings too, but the pitch has probably oozed down in the weave of the threads and it's a bear to get it all out, even after the alcohol softens it.

A little alcohol in the scrubber sometimes helps too, but be careful not to overdo it! And use good ethanol for this purpose, not the denatured stuff or methyl alcohol.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:51 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I had some Comet spray cleaner with bleach on hand (my wife had just purchased a one gallon jug of the stuff at Sam's Club). I wet the awnings, sprayed them with the Comet cleaner, rolled them up for about 20 minutes, unrolled and rinsed very well. I did brush them with a long-handled soft bristle brush before rinsing. They look absolutely new! I then put ProTect All on the window awnings but ran out of steam before I could do the big dog (I also washed the roof and the entire coach) Will do that soon.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

I do washing and detailing for a living. I specialize in Motorhomes and large vehicles. Almost everyone one mentioned chemicals that are the wrong type of chemical for the job. Most of them will strip the natural oils out of the fabric, or plastic, and will lead to premature failure. I use a carwash soap. It is designed for this type of work, and is easily applied. It is also a lot cheaper. Then you can apply a rubber/vinyl protectant, such as 303 to replenish any oils that might have been stripped. THIS IS AN IMPORTANT STEP. I personally do not like Armor All. I think that it causes more damage than it prevents. They might have changed the formulation recently, but this has been my prior experience.