Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2008 Tour with full body paint and aluminum wheels. What cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc. have you used successfully on your coach and wheels?

Thanks,
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2008 Tour with full body paint and aluminum wheels. What cleaners, polishes, waxes, etc. have you used successfully on your coach and wheels?

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Don't use a brush on your full body paint. Check out Swobbitt tools. They're a soft synthetic lambs' wool-like surface, on an extension handle. Works great!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I use Mr. Clean hose attachement for wetting and soaping, purchased at Wally-world, and a microfiber mitt on a stick, also purchased there.

Is your Tour clear coated? If it is, why would it need wax? I have not waxed a clear coated vehicle in years and have never had a problem. Keeping them clean is the key to a good shine.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Clear coat will shine and last longer with a protective coat of wax. i can,t imagine not waxing my vehicles that are clear coated at least once a year and usually twice. The new clear coat paints will outlast the old single stage paints but just run your hand over one before and after waxing if you don,t think theres a difference.- John

cookie monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The Operator Manual states under Polishing and/or Waxing:

<LI> We recommend a silicone-free polish (such as Meguiars M8132 Hand Polish or Machine Polish) with an orbital machine and terry cloth applicator.
<LI>Liquid waxes are easier to apply and bring to a gloss with fewer residues.
<LI>Avoid paste waxes. They sometimes have fillers and additives that give a very short term result. Stay away from silicones in polishes and soaps.

I did find Meguiars M8132 on the Meguiars web site, but not in the auto parts store I visited which carried quite a few of the Meguiars products.

Should any of the Mequiars liquid polish or wax products work OK? How about on the 3M film on the front of the coach?
Old 12-24-2008, 03:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Have used Meguiars clear-coat paste wax on my Meridian for the last 5 years, to include using on the 3M clear film on the front. Even though parked outside in the Arizona sun when not on the road, the coach looks like it did when new some 52,000 miles ago.

Some would say I'm a bit crazy, but I wax it 4 times a year - the roof every six months.

IF (big IF) your wheels do not have the portective coating (they're not Alcoa) the best cleaner/polish I have found is Magic Mix, found at Flying J and on line. It's effortless!!
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I only use a BRUSH and water. I have never used soap nor waxed or polished. 47 months old. How's my shine??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I use the same liquid car wash/wax on my full body paint that I have used on my cars for years ...made by Turtle Wax. I use a soft car wash sponge on the lower areas and an extendable soft brush on upper areas. As for the 3m film, I do it just like the rest of the coach as 3m's recommendation is to use any wax that you would use on clear coated paint (the 3m film has a thin layer of clear coat on it).

I wash the entire coach maybe twice a year, but do the front nearly every time we move to a new location just to get the bugs off. I also have a large "California duster" that I use on the coach maybe once a month to remove road film/dust and shine it.

Although my Accuride wheels apparently are not coated (according to the mfg), I have never had a need for heavy duty polishing. I have used the liquid car wash with the large soft sponge, and have used dry wash type products with micro fibre cloth.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

In my younger years I had been a "clean vehicle" fanatic. That has changed. Yes, I still try to keep the MH and toad clean, but I take the easy way out.

Unless the coach has really grimy dirt on it I just use a damp terrycloth towel and wipe it down. Last year I started out using Protect All polish. It went on easily enough and wipes off easily. But with the clear coat I could not see a difference between what was done or not done. I never finished the last two sides!

IMHO, just keeping the road dust off keeps it shiny.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I take the dust off with a California Duster and clean it with Dri-Wash. So far, it seems to have worked.
After traveling thru snow and ice between Alturas, Ca and Reno, I rinsed off the crud, used Dri-Wash and was amazed how it truned out.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I use a wash and wax combo - like the others it has worked well for me. Actually what I really like to use is other peoples labor - these things are huge!!!
Old 12-25-2008, 04:38 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Maybe I'm wrong but I have always heard that wax is for protection and polish is for shine. I use a wash and wax every time I wash which is probably too often and Turtle Wax ICE at least once a year. Seems to do a real good job for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:42 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Wax For Clearcoat - Turtle Wax "ICE"

Pardon the resurrection of this "worn subject" but we are waxing our 2005 DSDP ourselves for the first time - sign of the current economy! After reading all the posts we could find, visiting WalMart etc. we settled on Turtle Wax's ICE polish/wax(?). Thru the years we have polished and waxed more than our share of hot rods and boats and have always stuck with the old standards, i.e. paste wax, petroleum-based polishes. Reading the instructions on the Turtle Wax Ice makes this new-age product look too good to be true, easy on, easy off, no white film etc. We're in the process of appling it now and all that looks true but to our surprise it is hard to see much affect on the shine; granted the surfaces do feel smoother, but when compared to the surfaces we just washed with Turtle Wax car wash/wax the improvement in the overall appearance is not improved that much. We speculate that the smoothness can be attributed to the silicone in the product and we wonder if that will last and/or have any real benefit? Anyone have comments on their experience with this product - we don't mind expending the labor but would like to see some long term results!!?
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

I bought this product, Captain Richard Best Cleaning and Poolishing for motorcycles years ago. Worked so good I used it on vehicles. it is expensive, so I don't use it to completely clean the RV, but use it to touch up the drip runs after it has dried. After washing with Mr. Clean Machine there will be some water runs from the windows nad other areas and Capt. Best's takes care of it.

My coach is as shinny as the day I purchased it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone used coral blue that walmart sells. Good or bad? my mh is not full body paint.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling View Post
In my younger years I had been a "clean vehicle" fanatic. That has changed. Yes, I still try to keep the MH and toad clean, but I take the easy way out.
i too take the easy way out i pay some kids to wash it up im too old to be climbing that ladder up and down. im happy if it sort of looks clean but sometimes if the kids cant wash it up then the road dirt looks ok to me too.
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Camper

If you have the coated AccuRide aluminum wheels here's the proper cleaning and repair procedures from the AccuRide horses mouth.

Cleaning: http://www.accuridewheels.com/alumin...ldCleaning.asp
Repair: http://www.accuridewheels.com/alumin...ieldRepair.asp

If you use a typical wheel brush on these you will impart micro-fine scratches into the coating thus dulling them. Use a sponge/microfiber to clean them only.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Zip Wash by Turtle Wax and Protect-all