Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

I have heard of many different products used by folks. What has worked best for you? Many thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I have heard of many different products used by folks. What has worked best for you? Many thanks
Old 08-17-2008, 03:37 AM   #3
doc
Winnebago Owner

You talking about cleaning the surface beforeyou apply the Ebond? I used Windex and a terry cloth towel when we had the Horizon. I expect alchol would have worked as well, but I had the Windex and it worked great.

Now cleaning it after it was applied and painted is another matter. Tile and grout cleaner (forget the brand, but smelled of bleach) and a scrub brush. The fabric surface of the Ebond holds the black creatures that lead to black streaks if the coach sits in the rain very much.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Jimmy:

I use Simple Green and it seems to work well. Also, the No Wet waterless cleaner/wax I use also gets it clean. However, if there is a heavily stained place, the Simple Green does the trick.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I'm sorry, I did not make myself very clear. I was asking about before you apply it. I have heard brake fluid, acetone and others. I was just wondering what other folks used. Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Doc,

The Eternabond tape I have is smooth like scotch tape when it's applied. Thicker, of course, white and paintable.

Simple Green, Windex, 409 will work to prep the surface. I then use a shop towel with water to rinse off any of the soapy residue.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

inch2go: I used a product called "SEM SOLVE 38374". It was recommended by a local automotive paint company. They also mixed my paint for me.
This product says it "removes adhesives, waxes, road tar,grease, oil and paint overspray."
Seems to have worked okay, probably just fancy paint thinner.
Old 08-17-2008, 11:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I used acetone and it worked great
Old 08-17-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
doc
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Eternabond tape I have is smooth like scotch tape when it's applied. Thicker, of course, white and paintable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I used the fabric type and the paint on paintable UV protectant. This stuff works well around the corners on the cap etc. However I believe I might have had an easier job with the stuff you describe.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Speaking of eternabond tape I was thinking of using it to reseal my bathroom skylight on the roof.

Has anyone used the tape for this type of project? Also will it stick to it self when I overlap the corners?

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Yes, it would work fine on most all roof projects. Yes again, it will adhere to itself.
Have fun with your projects.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:34 AM   #12
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I have heard of many different products used by folks. What has worked best for you? Many thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would give the people at Eternabond a call or E-Mail. They have various types of cleaners available for prepping.
http://www.bestmaterials.com/
Old 08-18-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Jim,

It will work well on the skylight and it will stick to itself.

When you peel the backing off just peel a couple of inches, position it, stip another couple of inches, etc. When it adheres, it is there for the duration unless you want to spend considerable time and effort removing it.

The lady at Eternabond told me it could be applied right over the old sealant, though I remove it to make it easier to use a small roller on and to make it look a little better.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ichn2go:
I have heard of many different products used by folks. What has worked best for you? Many thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a thread on the "other" forum where the poster(s) used lacquer thinner.
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid...a/pging/1/page/2.cfm