Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Chip installation

Can anyone give me the pros and cons to installing a chip to get better mileage and hp?
Chloe743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check the forum for your chassis. There will be several threads.
You should also add you rig info to your sig.

THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS - iRV2 Forums
Old 01-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The fuel savings will never pay for the cost of the chip. You also risk the change of transmission damage with the extra torque resulting from the chip increase in performance. The average person is not capable of being a vehicle test engineer and should rely on the manufacturer. Many will not have problems but the negative aspect of getting a chip does not justify the results.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

A chip does not equal better mileage. It does offer better performance. If you are talking about a gas engine, be aware that some of the chips will require you to run premium fuel.

To get the most performance from a chip, you will need to also add exhaust headers and low restriction exhaust as well as low restriction air inlet.

Ken
Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Agree with Targaboat, I learned by chipping my trk engine and not chipping the tranny to the tune of 1400 bucks for a rebuild. So if you do decide to chip make sure the tranny will be matched to it.
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 02:54 PM   #6

Pay close attention to the prior posts. I Installed one After 650 miles I took it back out put the stock back in. It actulley worked better then the Hyper chip.. When you put the HY per. chip You have to retime the engine. Reprogram the trans.. A lot of bad things can happen when one starts messing with The engine.. The best thing I found to do was A good set of Exhust Headers;; Ether Thorley , Or Banks They are Both good. We Installed several sets; And with the cat. conv. we didn't use a muffler .It was very satisfying;;;
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

for what engine/chassis??? Need to be more specific... but putting a tune on it will definitely improve performance.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:28 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I'd suggest you might get a better response if you add the type of RV and the engine to your question.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Watcher

While doing alot of research on tuners prior to purchasing an edge evolution cs, you should be careful of using the more extreme settings without upgrades to your transmission. Mine works great and has many features to include; tire size adjustment and full diagnostic and reset ability. Most transmissions are fine with an increase of 50 to 100 rear wheel horsepower. The Allison will take the most increase but you must give the transmission time to learn the new power.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for your suggestion. Still learning how to do this. We have a 2006 32' Winnebago Journey with a Cummins 300 engine.
Chloe743 is offline   Reply With Quote