Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Checking the air pressure in dually's

We are in the process of doing a factory order on a new 2015 Adventurer 32H. I was looking at some of the dually's on the Dealers lot today and see that the outside wheel would be easy to check the air pressure in the tire but the inside wheel would/could be problematic. What are folks doing for extensions, or are you installing new tire valve that extend through the outside wheel? I am not a big fan of extensions as they are notorious for leaking...?
Please advise!
Thank you!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've used an extension on the inside wheel for the past 10 years without issue. I replaced one of them once over that time, I forget why. Pretty painless.

Every time we stop at a rest stop I put a hand on each tire to make sure they're not low and over heating. Never had a flat on the road in any motorhome, or truck RV.

You need one of those front and back angle air chucks and gauge to check and fill the outside tire.

I would think with alloy wheels they have longer valve stems to provide access, no?

These are the cheap ones I've used (inside duals only) that leak....LOL

CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I installed dually valve stems. Solid metal chrome. Had 2 sets of extensions and both leaked. I also got the double-sealing-valve caps so you don't have to remove the valve caps to check/add air. Both sold at the below link.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

A1046-250 Double Sealing Valve Cap Qty:1

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

x2 on jfran304 posting. Great quality valve stems and no issues checking/filling inside tires or putting on TPMS sensors.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

If the stem is pointed in the wrong direction, as mine is and a little difficult to access, all that's needed is a good quality dual footed air gauge.
I am not a fan of any extensions. They can be problematic for leaking and as one of mine did that came standard on a previous motorhome I owned.
While driving in snow, it had a snow and ice build up on the extension and twisted and caused a flat inner dually.
got rid of those suckers pronto.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had bad luck with one set of extensions on my last motor home that cost me a tire. On the one I have now I had a set that came with it when I bought it new that lasted about seven years. I was always a little worried about them though. I did have some issues with them flopping around too much after I put pressure sensors on them and I had to devise a way to stabilize them. It was difficult to add air because I had to hold the extension with one hand and the air chuck with the other so the extension would not be pushed back. When I got new tires at seven years I had the DuallyValves installed and now wish I had not waited. It is very easy to add and check air and they came with stabilizer that fit in the hand hole to keep them from bouncing around. See Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis
Old 04-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have the same extension kit as CJBROWN
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:30 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I don't think Winnebago offers valve stem extensions on any motorhome built on the F53 chassis. Over the years they have proven problematic, and not compatible with most tire pressure monitoring systems.

The dealer installed a set on our 2001 Adventurer and they worked fine for several years. When we installed a TPMS we went to longer solid valve stems. On our 2013 Adventurer I modified our Milton 506 inflator/gauge to access the inner duals. I still have to crawl under it to put on the tire pressure sensors, but would rather do that than install extensions.

In time if I get tired of crawling under it or when the tires need to be removed for some reason I'll install new longer 1 piece valve stems.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

You should consider installing a set of Crossfires (or equivalent as there are other brand that do the same thing) for the pressure you require. They eliminate the issues with extensions and mounts. They are set for a specific pressure and give a visual indication of the pressures your dually is at. Also a single valve to fill equally both tires. I have them installed on my Journey and they are well worth the money. Check them out at http://www.dualdynamics.com/crossfires.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote