Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Checking on Lewis RV in Dayton, OH

Anyone done business with Ray Lewis (Lewis RV), a dealer in Dayton, Ohio? I'd like to get some feedback before traveling up there to look at a rig he is selling at a good price. Sorry in advance if you also saw my post on Escapees, but I know that many don't read follow boards.

Thanks.
Rich_in_Tampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I bought our Itasca 35J from Lewis RV last February. I will honestly tell you that they beat everybody's price by quite a big margin and treated us like family. I was shopping online while my family and I lived in Korea and they did everything they could to make our move back the U.S. very smooth and painless. We flew directly from Korea to Dayton and they gladly did stuff for us that I felt bad to even ask, like accepting 10+ big boxes of stuff I mailed to them, ensuring the coach was gassed up, had a full propane tank, water was full, etc; driving me to the airport rental car company to return our rental van and allowing my family (DW, DD, DS, & 2 dogs) to crash in the motorhome while we were doing a walk-through... my goodness I was a royal PITA.

As a first time RV owner they spent all day showing me how to do it all and we left for that day for a 2+ month trip and had zero issues. We left Lewis knowing that we'll buy our next motorhome from them. After 14 months and tons of camping we still feel the same.

Good luck and tell the Lewis family that Eric from Korea said Hi! By the way, we certainly didn't drive back to Korea and if I'm lucky I'll never go there again... but they'll remember us.
emmmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Eric. High praise.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Lewis RV in Dayton has an excellent reputation in the area. I would not hesitate to buy from them. I am in no way connected to them and have not to date bought from them. There is good and bad in the area, they are the good.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I bought a new 2006 Itasca Suncrusier from them. I don't remember the floorplan number it the one with two slides in the bedroom. I was very happy with their service and attitude. No pressure at all and very down home folks. I will check them out again when I'm looking for a new RV. Their service is very accommodating as I live a long ways away. They will gladly ship you any parts you need.
mickelpruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We purchased our 2006 Itasca Suncruiser 38J from them. They were GREAT to work with and saved us a LOT of money. They also gave us Blue Book for our trade-in.

I would buy another one from them in a heartbeat.
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ask for DALE TEA down there. He is a great guy to work with.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Rich,
Forgot to tell you we worked with Greg Lewis and still have his contact info in our address book. Also, we took their quote to 2 local dealers and "the Number 1 dealer in the nation" down the road from you, and the sales agent their told us if we could get our unit at the price Lewis gave us, buy it because they could not come close to it.

As for warrenty and maintenance, a lot of people will tell you a dealer will not service your unit unless you purchased it from them. Well, I guess we got lucky because our local dealer has never turned us away our put us so far down their list that the coach is with them more than with us.

The only down side with Lewis RV is they I have been told that they do not deal in diesel pushers.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbumn View Post
The only down side with Lewis RV is they I have been told that they do not deal in diesel pushers.
Lewis' website has a 2008 WINNEBAGO Itasca Latitude 39W diesel pusher on it, so maybe they've started selling diesels.?.? We worked with Gregg too. Great guy. Eric
Old 04-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Yes,
We were told they can order a Lattitude because it is not on a Freightliner chassis.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input. Looks like we struck a deal with them on a new 2009 Suncruiser 35L. I should be picking up in a couple of weeks. Only downside is the 1000 mile distance.

No one came close on price, and with their good reputation and pleasant dealings I think it is a win-win. I'll post more when I get the rig. I don't think too many dealers here (even the big one ) are turning away warranty service on Winnebagos.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

What is the web address.
Thank You
willieb
whb44012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Click here for Lewis RV Website.

Note that I can't personally vouch for him until he delivers the goods, but so far all is proceeding normally. Gregg (son) and Ray (dad) are my two contacts.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I know this is off topic but if you are talking about the dealer with "ld" initials. I would stay clear of them. I would not let them work on my VW if I had one. I had a really bad experience with them both in sales and service. If you are interested let me know. What's the deal with them not being able to sell Freightliner?
mickelpruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tamp View Post
Thanks for the input. Looks like we struck a deal with them on a new 2009 Suncruiser 35L. I should be picking up in a couple of weeks. Only downside is the 1000 mile distance.
Congratulations!

2017 Eagle HT 27.5 RLTS
2011 Chevy 2500HD Duramax Crew Cab 4WD
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:33 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Congratulations!
Thanks. I'll PM you on ER.

It was one of those deals that seemed TGTBT so I did a little extra due diligence. But it seems legitimate so far.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Rich, Was going through some old posts and remembered this one... how did it work out? Happy? Eric
Old 07-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Sorry, wrong thread
gunawo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmw View Post
Rich, Was going through some old posts and remembered this one... how did it work out? Happy? Eric
It worked out great. I saved a TON of money, got the rig I wanted, and Ray was a gentleman, as were his staff and family (several of whom work for him). Now have over 2K miles, and at this very minute are in the motorhome in the Smokey Mts near Asheville, NC.

The most amazing thing so far is that except for a leaky dual pain window which was replaced under warrantee, there have been no other issues. None, and that is after 5 outings. We keep discovering small conveniences built in by Winnebago which we didn't know about.

So, it was worth a trip to Dayton many times over, even from the epicenter of RV sales (Tampa).
Old 07-18-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Rich, Glad it worked out good for you. We have been using our MH a lot and have been summering in southern Maryland while the kids are out of school. Couldn't be happier with our coach or the purchase from Lewis RV. Have fun! Eric