Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-28-2019, 06:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Check your Belt Line Screws ...

In 2013 I noticed a few of my belt screws were loose. They are hard to see and get to … visible looking up behind the belt molding when a basement compartment door is open. I went around the coach adding Loctite to the screws I could easily access, using a small right-angle screw driver. Winnebago Service assured me that I did need to keep these screws secure.

Well, I failed to pay much attention to them since until this past week when I looked up under a door and saw a bunch of screws backed way out and the metal strip they secure pulling away from the coach! I one place on the bedroom wall I could push in, see it move, and hear it creaking.

On further inspection, I found the screws backed out from the rear axle to the rear of the coach on BOTH sides, and also 12-15 on BOTH sides of the front end. I opened up all the doors, including those that don't normally open like the wheel wells, basement ac, etc. With the small right angle screw driver I found I could pull the metal strip back in to place by tightening 2-3 screws, then backing up and tightening the same screws again, etc, etc. After 6 hours (apx 80 screws on each side) I had about 10 feet left to go but my hands were cramping so bad I could no longer handle the little right angle screwdriver. The next morning I went at it again. Those final screws were being very difficult so finally I removed the side radiator access door (two hinges, six screws, 3 on each hinge buried up behind requiring the door to be held open almost vertically). That allowed much easier access with an impact screwdriver. (probably the right tool for ALL the screws, but if you are going to remove & re-install all the doors you need more hands around than I had).

In talking with Winnebago Service, I don't believe the belt screws are the only thing securing the bottom of the sidewalls in place, but the are a critical part of the system. They are identical too thousands of other screws on the coach … relatively short, self-tapping screws.

So, if you have never checked your belt screws, I encourage you do so sometime. Open a basement door toward one end of the coach, and look up into the area behind the belt molding … you may have some screw tightening to do!

Tags
scr