Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

We brought the coach to Cummins Southeastern Power Ocala, Florida location this morning to look at our persistant check engine light (they are a Coach Care dealership).

I must say that this was one THE most pleasant experiences at a service facility we have EVER had. We own a Lexus and a Mercedes and we are used to being somewhat pandered to at dealerships; this place was at least at as good as those. We were promptly greeted, they took the coach promptly, they kept us updated on the progress of the service. They were neat and concerned with not getting anything in the coach dirty.

They also have about four spots with water and 30 amp hookups and lots of parking if you are there waiting for parts.

Okay - I'll get to the problem resolution:

The code set in the engine computer was a fuel restriction/dirty fuel/water in fuel or something like that. Lazydays tried a new fuel filter/sensor cartridge which didn't fix the problem. Cummins determined that the problem was a connector in the chassis wiring that wasn't fully seated going to the fuel filter sensor. This wasn't easy to get to - we had to lift up the forward engine access panel (the carpteted 'hump' or elevated area between the bed and the closet.)

The amazing thing here is that this was a Freightliner issue, NOT a Cummins issue. Cummins went ahead and fixed the problem I am astounded at this kind of service. I am used to being underwhelmed!

The white-knuckle experience:

After going on our way from Cummins, we were headed (so we thought) for the campground using our trusty (up until now) CoPilot Live version 8 routing software for the laptop. Let's make a one hour story short... The block number was way/way/way off for the street address I entered in CoPilot and we passed by where we (it) thought the campground was. Okay - we turn around go miles the other way and I said - this can't be right (thank you CoPilot Live version 8). We stop and reassess things in a driving thunderstorm. Go back the other way for miles - things are going our way - we are getting close - oops we pass by the campground on the other side of the road - miss our turn. Drive a couple of more miles and make a U-turn on a 4 lane road - oops - can't make the turn - back up a little - AHHH - we are finally on final approach.

I got to experience the joys of kindofsortof being lost and looking for places to make u-turns. The education continues!

Now if you have made it down this far, you can see where we are currently located! (We are dish #1921)

--John and Jane, who are both older and wiser

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

We brought the coach to Cummins Southeastern Power Ocala, Florida location this morning to look at our persistant check engine light (they are a Coach Care dealership).

I must say that this was one THE most pleasant experiences at a service facility we have EVER had. We own a Lexus and a Mercedes and we are used to being somewhat pandered to at dealerships; this place was at least at as good as those. We were promptly greeted, they took the coach promptly, they kept us updated on the progress of the service. They were neat and concerned with not getting anything in the coach dirty.

They also have about four spots with water and 30 amp hookups and lots of parking if you are there waiting for parts.

Okay - I'll get to the problem resolution:

The code set in the engine computer was a fuel restriction/dirty fuel/water in fuel or something like that. Lazydays tried a new fuel filter/sensor cartridge which didn't fix the problem. Cummins determined that the problem was a connector in the chassis wiring that wasn't fully seated going to the fuel filter sensor. This wasn't easy to get to - we had to lift up the forward engine access panel (the carpteted 'hump' or elevated area between the bed and the closet.)

The amazing thing here is that this was a Freightliner issue, NOT a Cummins issue. Cummins went ahead and fixed the problem I am astounded at this kind of service. I am used to being underwhelmed!

The white-knuckle experience:

After going on our way from Cummins, we were headed (so we thought) for the campground using our trusty (up until now) CoPilot Live version 8 routing software for the laptop. Let's make a one hour story short... The block number was way/way/way off for the street address I entered in CoPilot and we passed by where we (it) thought the campground was. Okay - we turn around go miles the other way and I said - this can't be right (thank you CoPilot Live version 8). We stop and reassess things in a driving thunderstorm. Go back the other way for miles - things are going our way - we are getting close - oops we pass by the campground on the other side of the road - miss our turn. Drive a couple of more miles and make a U-turn on a 4 lane road - oops - can't make the turn - back up a little - AHHH - we are finally on final approach.

I got to experience the joys of kindofsortof being lost and looking for places to make u-turns. The education continues!

Now if you have made it down this far, you can see where we are currently located! (We are dish #1921)

--John and Jane, who are both older and wiser

Old 06-08-2005, 12:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

John, congrats on getting the engine lite fixed and also finding a good Cummins dealer. Don't know which of the two is the best.

Both are a great accomplishment. Glad you were able to find the campground and make it in ok..

Good Miles and
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Way to go, John!

Glad they got that check light fixed. With your background, I'm sure you know how frustrating an intermittent symptom can be, and how hard it can be to find.

It's a positive that you had that experience with getting turned around several times. As I'm sure you know, once you start towing, you can't back up. So, it's very important to get a grasp of how much room your unit needs to complete a u-turn.

The adventure continues!
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Way to go John & Jane, sounds like you are having a just Great time in that new LONG motohome. We once had to back up about a mile because of a low bridge and no place to "U" turn. It all comes with the turf! Have fun and enjoy.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 01:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

The check engine light is really and truely fixed

We brought the coach home yesterday and it went very well because I knew where I was going - no U-turns required I am getting more and more comfortable behind the wheel.

Now if I can just get that slide leak fixed

John

Old 06-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

John, Nice going John, keep these reports coming' this is what IRV2 is all about. We are all learning from your experiences...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Every since our first experience with our dealer calling for an appointment to center the steering wheel, fix floor tiles, radio and a few other things and being told it was a 6 week wait I realized that it would be lovely to have Winnie dealers (well, all MH dealers really) operate like Cat, Cummins, Freightliner, DD,etc. Now the wait is 8 weeks and our Journey has been at the dealer for exactly one month today. If CAT, Cummins, et al operated like that the truckers would turf them in no time. I keep wondering why we tolerate this kind of dealer behaviour. Like you, I've enjoyed going into these truck facilities because of the good treatment and well qualified people they have on staff.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

2 thouhgts...

First, good job finding one of the few bright spots in RV service. Another is Cunningham Frieghtliner, in the Phoenix area. Kirk Ault and his staff run a good clean operation, and have motorhome specific service techs and areas. We have all of our more intensive service done there. They also have a motorhome dyno, a great tool for troubeshooting. They win the Freightliner Oasis center of the year every year. They really go out of the way to do a good job. So rare.

Second.... John... Did you BACK-UP with your toad attached?

I hope not. With your level of detail and careful research, I'm sure you wouldn't. Just in the unlikely case you didn't know, you can NOT back up with most dingy towing devices.

Cheers

2004 Horizon 40AD
BucknJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 06:00 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BucknJeff:
Second.... John... Did you BACK-UP with your toad attached?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh my goodness no! If fact we don't have the toad yet! Even if I did have the toad, I don't think I would tow it until I feel very comfortable driving and manuvering the coach (like knowing how much room the coach needs for a U-turn .)

We will be buying a Jeep Liberty 4x4. First we need to get rid of a car or three.

John