Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We just returned from a 3700 mile trip to Canada. Several days into the trip, the check engine light came on, followed by the stop engine light. The temperature gauge was normal; we shut the engine off and restarted and all was well until the next day, when the same thing happened again, and again, and again. It happened mostly early in morning just after taking off but also happened a couple of times when we had a steep grade.

When we returned, we called Cummins and talked to them and took it in for service. They reported that the codes indicated the coolant level was low, though it was registering just above the minimum line. Almost $300 for this diagnosis!!

Anyone else with a similar problem?
ljohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 02:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We just returned from a 3700 mile trip to Canada. Several days into the trip, the check engine light came on, followed by the stop engine light. The temperature gauge was normal; we shut the engine off and restarted and all was well until the next day, when the same thing happened again, and again, and again. It happened mostly early in morning just after taking off but also happened a couple of times when we had a steep grade.

When we returned, we called Cummins and talked to them and took it in for service. They reported that the codes indicated the coolant level was low, though it was registering just above the minimum line. Almost $300 for this diagnosis!!

Anyone else with a similar problem?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:38 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I had the same issue. I found that the probe for the low coolant lite is on the forward side of the reservoir.

So if the coach has any type of forward up situation it will turn the lite on. After the coolant has heated up it expands and didn't make the sensor activate the lite. Add a little more coolant so it is above the line and problem solved.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:12 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I had a similiar problem while climbing a hill / mountain in Wyoming ... the light came on when I was climbing and turning sharply to the the left (I think it was to the left) ... as soon as the road leveled off or straightened out it was okay ...

I added coolant and the problem went away ...

I have CAT engine with rear radiator ... the reserve coolant tank is nylon / plastic that sits above the radiator
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:53 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Welcome aboard iRV2 ljohio

I've got a Cat engine which did flash the low coolant light the first trip we went on however I never got a check engine or stop engine light. Perhaps the Cummins doesn't have a low coolant light?

I do know that the rig will use some coolant the first several trips as the air is purged from the long coolant lines. With the length of the lines and the feed lines going to the water heater for motoraid, quite a bit of air gets trapped and purges over several trips.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I had similar problem with my 05 Journey with CAT 350 after delivery: check engine light would come on when I climbed grade on the small mountain where I live (I couldn't read the Info Center message at the time); took it to local Freightliner dealer to run the codes; determined that coolant level was "slightly low"; topped off and no further problem.

05 Journey 36G CAT C7
diesellabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 05:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all you who responded; gee I wish I had found this site BEFORE we spent $300!! I have this site bookmarked now and added 800 numbers for Freightliner, Cummins, and Allison in my cell (another suggestion from the forum).