Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-11-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Check Engine 300 cummins

I have a 2007 Journey with 300 cummins. Check engine light comes on periodically. Usually when I get to 70-75 mph on interstate, having to pass, but will also come on at lower speeds. We just serviced the whole fuel system and replaced the lift pump about 5k miles ago. Engine has 56k miles.
jrh landscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:24 PM   #2
aa1ssradio

I used to have that problem with a 2006. Added a little coolant to bottle and all gone. Low coolant was setting a check engine light. It would go away after a bit.
Ranger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you can't scroll through the LBCU diagnostics and determine the cause of the light coming on, take your MH to a Cummins dealer or HD Truck repair facility that has the computer diagnostic equipment to read the code which is related to the light coming on.

FWIW: I had a similar experience several years ago, intermittent over temp condition. VGT turbo problems requiring turbo replacement. Consider joining the Cummins Power Club if you have to get some expensive work done, 10% discount on parts and labor at a Cummins shop.

As Steve said in the above comment, it could be as simple as a low coolant situation.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks for the advice. I did check the coolant level and it was full. I looked in the manual and saw how to check the diagnostic code and will do that next time it comes on. I had a lot of work done through Cummins Atlantic and did sign up for the power club. The code it showed last time was
"EGR Valve Delta Pressure. An error in the delta pressure signal was detected at initial key-on or the sensor failed the auto zero test."
The fix the Cummins dealer found and did was an exhaust tube had a crack and they replaced it. I drove it about 600 miles and it came on again just before stopping for the night. The next day it came on again as I passed some traffic (after about 300 miles) You can feel it have a quick miss or hiccup when it does it and light comes on.
jrh landscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
Consider joining the Cummins Power Club if you have to get some expensive work done, 10% discount on parts and labor at a Cummins shop.
On work they did on our rig it came to about 3% savings, still worth it to save $1,200 though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

jrh, If the computer set a code, it should be there whenever you decide to go after it. You do not need to wait for another 'check engine light' occurrence.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I have a 09 Journey and had to have the EGR valve replaced. It was sticking open and impacting the turbo. Lost significant power going up hills. Had about 53K miles on it and was still under warranty. Search for EGR issues on 07EPA ISB engines. Looks to me it is a relatively common issue. You might also consider getting a Scangauge-D. It will detect and record all trouble codes indications including those that do not appear (and don't get recorded) in the LBCU. Mine detected an turbo code - not recorded in the LBCU - that I followed up on with Cummins and led to the replacement of my turbo 5 weeks before the warranty expired. Made me a big fan of the Scangauge-D.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:52 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Smith View Post
I used to have that problem with a 2006. Added a little coolant to bottle and all gone. Low coolant was setting a check engine light. It would go away after a bit.
When I first got this coach (used) I had this problem when going up hills. Called Cummins support and they told me that the overflow tank sensor is in the back of the tank. Even though the fluid level was in range, on hills the sensor would go dry. I dumped some water in the tank and I have had no more problems.

I had another coach that went into overheating over 50mph. Turned out to be plugged fins for the inter cooler. The slobber tube was installed wrong and dumped oil on the radiator. Over the years and miles this trapped dirt and stopped the airflow required for cooling.

Just a note of caution. If you put antifreeze in make absolutely certain it is compatible with what is in your system now. If you use the wrong formulation it will turn your coolant into mud. Happened to me with my last coach. I read the label for compatibility and it said "all". Not diesel formulation and no warning was on the label. Cummins has a lot to say about this topic.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Old 02-24-2016, 05:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrh landscap View Post
I have a 2007 Journey with 300 cummins. Check engine light comes on periodically. Usually when I get to 70-75 mph on interstate, having to pass, but will also come on at lower speeds. We just serviced the whole fuel system and replaced the lift pump about 5k miles ago. Engine has 56k miles.
We have a 2012 Journey 36M

On our last trip out west I told the boss we had to have the fuel filter replaced along with the fuel/water separator unit when we get back home.

During our trip the check engine light came on periodically. When we returned home, I took the rig to FourStar Freightliner in Dothan, Alabama. The code was a warning to replace the fuel/water separator.
KoolBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:43 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Your unit has the often overlooked 104 micron fuel filter along with the standard screw on fuel filter. That 104 micron fuel strainer is located on the inside of the passenger frame rail just above the right rear air suspension bag. It's a small steel filter about 2" in diameter and 4" long. It's a bear to get to which is why it is overlooked as a standard maintenance item. It sounds like your issue could be one of a few possibilities, but if this filter has never been replaced, I would start there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104 Micron Fuel Strainer.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	307.3 KB
ID:	119762  

Tags
cummins, engine