Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2011, 06:42 AM   #1

Chassis Rust

We were at a rally ,When the subject about Manufactures/quality came up; You know that same game ( mine is better then yours ) well some one pointed out his chassic was covered with rust and his rig is a 2009 So that is 3/4 years old. I/we got under the coach to inspect this so called rust bucket.. I was schocked and supperised. There were only a fue spots on the frame and a little on the drive line. And the owner was complaining about that.;; I only post this so maybe it will bring us to the reality That in life some things happen as rust/ Shower that drips; The list goes on and on. I have seen some very harsh words used against manufactors; .. They are only Folks like you and I trying to make a living and support there familys; And they don't go to work in the morning thinking well today I'm going to screw this or that up.. Remember the saying. Let he that has never made a mistake cast the first stone.. Life is good
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In discussing chassis - OMEY stated something like 'it is a very good chassis but has a few warts'. This stuck with me as a truth about almost everything. It's OK to ID warts, but don't trash a product because of a few warts.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM   #3

I loved my adventurer, but we traded it in because we just couldn't keep up with the rust. It was a 2004 and it started showing signs of rust shortly after we bought it. We had to replaced the steps by the driver door twice, we started replacing the compartment fronts with diamond plate, the mud flaps had to be replaced, again diamond plate. It got so when we left a campsite, we'd leave flakes of rust behind, sometimes as big as my hand. I contacted Winnebago about it early on, but they really didn't have anything helpful to say. We used an undercoating on it after sanding off the rust. That helped. When we traded it in, we were there to have the propane tank cleaned off and painted, as that too was rusting. We saw another rig that fit our needs and went for it. No rust, and it is a 2008. We have our fingers crossed! I will say I miss some of the things we had in our Winnebago like light switches and plugs near the bed, the desk near the passenger seat for my laptop and the sleep number bed! Honestly, we would still be in it except for the rust. No, we don't live near the ocean and we don't drive on roads that were recently salted (we watch the weather before we leave, not wanting to drive in snowy or icy weather). We clean the undercarriage and keep up with all maintenance. I am sure someone can tell us what we did wrong, but we tried to do everything we could right!
Lakebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

We bought A Chev Mel; 2010 we tow.. I was supprised whewn i look under it. Now it is the LTZ model top of the line. There was NO undercoating on it. I bought 8 cans of the spray Run the car up on blocks . and Undercoated it;; Final result. You have no Idea how much quiter the car is. when driving. I also did it the my quad cab dodge. Quitness is unbelieveable;; And you know WHAT;; it also stops the rust.. Life is good. I have learned one thing in 72 years , If you want it done DO IT YOURSELF; Then you have no one to blame..
Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gang,
Well this is all interesting. Rust has always been, is presently and always will be a severe P.I.T.A.!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a pup, about a zillion years ago, I worked for a Chevrolet dealership in San Diego. My job, at that age and education, was "Tire and under sealer man". I changed, repaired, and installed tires on new cars and trucks in 1970. Also, I was the "under seal" person for new cars. I received a whopping $.75 per car for under sealing it.

The dealer, at the time, I think was charging around $25.00-$50.00 for an undersealed car as an option. But, that stuff was thick and gooey. But, it sure coated stuff nicely and made for a seriously quieter ride. Now, not too long after that, I noticed in later model new cars, ( I've purchased a couple since then) that the mfgs not only don't under seal them but also, they don't even paint over 90% of the undercarriage components like they did when I was working for GM.

Some of that stuff is rusted way before it even gets to the dealer. I mean, what's with these manufacturers now? They charge enough for each car/truck/motor home that surely they could spend a few minutes spraying things they'll know will rust. I guess they figure that the components that aren't coated with anything and start to rust, will last long enough to get through warranty.

Our recently purchased, new to us, '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT in her, has quite a bit of rust throughout much of the lower chassis, sub framing, compartment facing behind the compartment doors, muffler clamps, and much, much more. I am, at my leisure, taking the time to clean, scrape, sand, and prep and paint all that I can to correct this. I will, at some point in time, find a good product that I can use as an "undercoating" for some of the flat sheet metal and related items.

If, I had a lot of money, I'd have that entire rig, raised up, and sand blasted underneath and then painted/undercoated with high quality paints etc. But, pretty sure that's not going to happen.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:36 PM   #6

We were told a product called chassis Saver Is a product that lives up to its name. As we haven't seen any signs of rust on our current motor home, we haven't looked into it yet. But it is a 2008 so we will have to come up with a plan soon before it begins as I am sure it will. This one was under coated at some point before we bought it, I am sure it will need to be done again. How long does undercoating last, anyway?
Lakebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I've spent many hours media blasting, scraping and wire brushing much of the underbelly of my chassis and a lot of the sheet metal around the compartments and slides. I've not used undercoating since I believe it can trap water and rust. I've used a lot of Rustoleum Rust Reformer followed by paint. It seems to never end. Even the oil pan on my CAT was heavily rusted.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I've spent many hours media blasting, scraping and wire brushing much of the underbelly of my chassis and a lot of the sheet metal around the compartments and slides. I've not used undercoating since I believe it can trap water and rust. I've used a lot of Rustoleum Rust Reformer followed by paint. It seems to never end. Even the oil pan on my CAT was heavily rusted.

smlranger,
Hey Sir, want to see some CAT rust on a pan? Now, the rest of the chassis, frame etc. is not THIS BAD but, there is quite a bit everywhere. Like stated, I'd sure like to media blast as much as possible and the find the best coating I can.
Scott

Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
smlranger,
Hey Sir, want to see some CAT rust on a pan? Now, the rest of the chassis, frame etc. is not THIS BAD but, there is quite a bit everywhere. Like stated, I'd sure like to media blast as much as possible and the find the best coating I can.
Scott

My CAT looks just like that. Im scraping this weekend and painting as much as I can with some CAT paint.
the4js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

You guys are making me glad I bought a Monaco.

Mine is completely sealed on the entire bottom and has a ton of soundproofing foam sprayed all over it.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:36 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

check out P.O.R. Works like a dream. All you have to do is scrape off the loose rust and apply. There is good info on their website
Old 12-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #12

AS stated in a prior post. There was a time when work etics were in play. and mony came second. I worked also at a garage Doing those things For $.50 PH. and was glad to get that. Altho coffee was $.20 per cup, Now the young employees feel they need to get payed $15. to $20.00 PH. and they have little or no work etics... I still from time to time hire Young folks to Help me as I am 72 years old and need help, It is strange Most of them Do not know how to work. It has been lost. (example) I ash 2 employees to undercoat a car;;;;; Any brain would know #1 power Wash. #2 scrape/brush #3 dry. #4 undercoat. I have had them spray over mud/rust and what ever was there.. I don't know where the solution is..If you find it Please pass it on. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:35 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
AS stated in a prior post. There was a time when work etics were in play. and mony came second. I worked also at a garage Doing those things For $.50 PH. and was glad to get that. Altho coffee was $.20 per cup, Now the young employees feel they need to get payed $15. to $20.00 PH. and they have little or no work etics... I still from time to time hire Young folks to Help me as I am 72 years old and need help, It is strange Most of them Do not know how to work. It has been lost. (example) I ash 2 employees to undercoat a car;;;;; Any brain would know #1 power Wash. #2 scrape/brush #3 dry. #4 undercoat. I have had them spray over mud/rust and what ever was there.. I don't know where the solution is..If you find it Please pass it on. Thanks.
Put the prices from your youth into todays terms. A cup of coffe at the local restaurant today is almost $2.00. If the hourly wage is 5 times the price of that cup of coffee you would have been making $10.00 per hr. That's not too bad for an entry level job. The minimum wage here is around $7.00. So todays entry level jobs have less buying power than they did 50 years ago even though they are paid 14 times more per hour.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4js View Post
My CAT looks just like that. Im scraping this weekend and painting as much as I can with some CAT paint.

Do you store the motorhome outside?
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I'm about 30 years younger than you and recognize the same thing. And not just today's youth, it's a work ethic when you're not the "man".
There's still a few out there that have the right ethic, but only a few.
I think if some of these "workers" were paid based on there ability to complete tasks correctly, they'd wake up.
I'd love to be able to pay top dollar to an employee, but my requirement would be that I didn't have to babysit them all day and explain simple tasks like you have to put a floormat down so you don't drag grease on the customer's car mats. I hope it changes soon....
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

TOO MUCH NINTENDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Scott
Old 12-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #17

I Remember the old saying My dad used when Hiring someone; When they asked what he would pay; He just said I'll pay you what you are worth; From what I see with that thought in mind , There is a lot of cheap labor out there;;
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I live in Wisconsin and a lot of salt and calcium chloride is used on our roads in the winter to fight ice formation. I learned early on not to run my motor home on roads that have been treated with these ice treatments. Even when the roads dry off the powder or dust will blow up under the coach. One time I returned from Florida in March and ran on roads that were being treated for ice. I parked my coach over a lawn sprinkler in my driveway and after turning on the water I slowly pulled the sprinkler from front to back. Had I not done this I am sure I would have had a severe rust problem.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:39 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

I guess I must see workers in a different light than some. When I was in business I was the boss and holding that position when I hired someone to do a job I made sure they knew how to do the job and if not made sure I or someone else that knew how to do the job taught them how to do the job correctly. Today if I hire the kid down the street to mow my lawn I tell them how I want it mowed, just not say there's the lawn mow it. Being the boss of a company or hiring someone to mow your lawn it's your job to see they do the job correctly and the way you want it done. Now if I hire a professional business to do a job for me I expect them to do the job right and me not to have to baby sit them. But on the other hand if the supervisor of that business has unskilled workers doing the work then it's up to that supervisor to see the unskilled worker is trained to do the job correctly. As I see it to many employers hire others to supervise the work at the factory floor level and the employer themselves do not know how to do the floor level job. In the old days the floor cleaner on the factory floor worked there way up management and truly knew what went on at the floor level. Today a lot of management is hired direct from college with no hands on experience, they have no idea when down on the factory floor what's going on.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippo View Post
I guess I must see workers in a different light than some. When I was in business I was the boss and holding that position when I hired someone to do a job I made sure they knew how to do the job and if not made sure I or someone else that knew how to do the job taught them how to do the job correctly. Today if I hire the kid down the street to mow my lawn I tell them how I want it mowed, just not say there's the lawn mow it. Being the boss of a company or hiring someone to mow your lawn it's your job to see they do the job correctly and the way you want it done. Now if I hire a professional business to do a job for me I expect them to do the job right and me not to have to baby sit them. But on the other hand if the supervisor of that business has unskilled workers doing the work then it's up to that supervisor to see the unskilled worker is trained to do the job correctly. As I see it to many employers hire others to supervise the work at the factory floor level and the employer themselves do not know how to do the floor level job. In the old days the floor cleaner on the factory floor worked there way up management and truly knew what went on at the floor level. Today a lot of management is hired direct from college with no hands on experience, they have no idea when down on the factory floor what's going on.
I agree whole heartedly!!! To often we see the world and others in it through the bias of many our years of learning, assuming everyone else has learned the same skills, and has the same talents, interests, and values. How quickly we forget that at one time the things that now seem second nature and "common sense" had to be learned.

I worked many years for a major manufacturing company. We hired hundreds of hourly production workers and lots of college educated people to supervise them.

The hourly people went through a training period learning the specifics of a particular job working along side experienced people. When the supervisor felt the trainee could handle the job by themself the experienced hourly person slowly handed over the responsibilities.

The same process was used to train the new supervisors. They worked with other experienced supervisors to learn their job responsibilities. In addition the new supervisor had to learn how to perform each of the jobs of the hourly people they would eventually supervise. That served multiple purposes. First the supervisor would know how difficult each hourly employees job was. Secondly they would be able to help, and train a new hourly employee should the need arize.

We found the formula worked very well. The hourly people had more respect for a supervisor that could actually do their job, and the supervisors had more respect for the hourly people knowing what it actually took for them to perform their assigned tasks

Tags
rust, chassis