Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I live in Wisconsin and a lot of salt and calcium chloride is used on our roads in the winter to fight ice formation. I learned early on not to run my motor home on roads that have been treated with these ice treatments. Even when the roads dry off the powder or dust will blow up under the coach. One time I returned from Florida in March and ran on roads that were being treated for ice. I parked my coach over a lawn sprinkler in my driveway and after turning on the water I slowly pulled the sprinkler from front to back. Had I not done this I am sure I would have had a severe rust problem.

Don
Most likely it's Magnesium Chloride they use on the roads up there, as that is what they use here in Colorado, along with 20% salt.

Using a sprinkler under your motorhome will NOT remove Mag Chloride or salt, as water alone doesn't remove these chemicals. Some of us here use products that remove salt and Mag Chloride like Salt Terminator (see link below)....spray it on your chassis before and after your trip across the salty roads. It disolves salt, water doesn't. We take our motorhome skiing, and up the Western Slope all the time.

My motorhome chassis looks as new as the day we bought it nearly 7 years ago.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...on_Concentrate
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:26 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

x2 on P.O.R. 15
Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 PM   #23

What is P.O.R.?
Lakebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 07:02 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Rust

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbender View Post
I loved my Adventurer, but we traded it in because we just couldn't keep up with the rust...
Funny, that I was just looking at a 2010 Tour in New Mexico that has never been sold, 'was surprised by the amount of chassis rust on it, sitting there in the showroom.

The most memorable rust experience I've had was looking at a beautiful Monaco Camelot at the famous "volume dealership" south of Fort Worth. The chassis appeared factory-new, slathered in pristine black undercoating no less than 1/8" thick. The corrosion in that chassis, however, was so profound that steel attachments not covered in undercoating could be crumbled between one's fingers.

Use caution, buyers! Only a tiny portion of owners will take the time to arrest oxidation of the chassis and other metallic components under a rig. My own Fleetwood has never done time in a saltwater environment, and is stored indoors. Even so, I have to brush/prime/repaint constantly.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:20 AM   #25
Winnebago Watcher

POR15, Inc. - Stop Rust Permanently - Repair Gas & Fuel Tanks
Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #26

MntDriver,
I found the website for salt terminator, but need to know how far a gallon will go. Is there a dilution ratio? Will I need a gallon or a case?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverbender View Post
MntDriver,
I found the website for salt terminator, but need to know how far a gallon will go. Is there a dilution ratio? Will I need a gallon or a case?
Salt Terminator is concentrated and you use a hose end sprayer to spray on your chassis. The site I posted was one of many that sell Salt Terminator. Any boat shop stocks it. I use one of the mixer/dispensers like the link below, and fill the bowl with the Salt Terminator concentrate....hook it up to your garden hose, and spray it underneath your motorhome all over the chassis before and DEFINATELY after (as it dissolves the Mag.Chloride and salt....something water alone will not remove.)

A gallon of salt Terminator will last forever! Buy a quart, it is about right for several "Winters".

Link for mixer: Overton'sŪ > Salt Terminator Mixer/Dispenser Only - Boating & Marine > Maintenance > Engine Flushers : Boat Maintenance Products, Marine Supplies, Repair Kits, Accessories
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I just got my '05 Journey back from the factory to correct corrosion problems. New radiator was $5000 and repair/replace the weathershield and compartment on the drivers side was $3500. Winnebago did not originally treat the metal properly. I will coat other areas with POR 15. Another problem was the lack of adhesion on the body panels. The lower rear panel was replaced for $3000. When I paid the bill, they said "have a nice day".
TOM A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #29

We couldn't find salt terminator locally, but we found salt away, which seems like the same thing, so we treated the rv and have our fingers crossed. We leave jan. 6 and are hoping it won't snow!
Merry Christmas to all and thank you for all the answers!
Old 12-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #30
Winnebago Camper

After reading a few of the comments on rust and seeing some of the pictures posted I crawled under my recently purchase 2003 Winnebago Sightseer and low and behold it appeared to be brand new underneath.....wow, did I luck out, must have had the good workers the day mine was built...
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

I just saw that Cat oil pan in this post. Mine on a 06 National rusted to the point it leaked. I had to change it 1 year ago. Bad news.
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #32

I have been doing a lot of reading on the subject and it seems that if you scrape/brush the loose rust off you can safely spray it with an undercoating sealer. For those of us that are worried about it that would be a guick/easy fix..Only when you slide under the motorhmoe don't go to sleep under there..
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:07 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

I used Ospho, let it, cure for 24 hours then painted over it. Problem solved. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust, chassis