Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Changed oil & filter on Onan Gen.

We picked up a new to us 2011 Itasca Sunstar a couple of weeks ago. The other day I was checking fluids and discovered the generator oil was not only at the add line it was also very dirty. Had 66 hrs. on the clock. So I picked up a new filter and oil and today changed them.

Question? Is there a trick to pouring in the oil? I have been changing my own oil on all my vehicles for over 30 yrs. and never had this problem.

Now for the problem. When I was filling the oil the 1st qt. went in very easy. just poured it in. The second qt. however started to overflow almost immediately. I ended up adding about an ounce at at time and let it settle before I could pour in another ounce. It took almost 1/2 hr. to put the last qt in. Now the dip stick reads full.

Sorry for the long story.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

pre-filling the filter helps (less trapped air).
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, it's a pain in the patootie. Difficult spot to get any kind of oil bottle into and it takes oil really slowly. At least the filter screws on vertically, so prefilling it is a great suggestion.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Thankfully it's only once a year ( for me ). I hope you had the filter wrench. I didn't the first time and let's just say , I had a mess. ( screwdriver through the filter trick.) EEK

Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:15 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try prefilling the filter next time. Even though I had a filter wrench that fit I was a bear to take off. It was the filter from the factory and they must torque it down really good. I was crushing the filter before it let lose.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

My filter wrench is still on the filter. Couldn't get it off after I installed it.

Figured what the heck might as well leave it on then I'll know where it is.

Without that wrench it is near impossible to remove the filter and I had to go to the Cummins dealer to buy it, which was fine because I buy my filters from them too.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotago2 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try prefilling the filter next time. Even though I had a filter wrench that fit I was a bear to take off. It was the filter from the factory and they must torque it down really good. I was crushing the filter before it let lose.
Is this the wrench you have ?
Onan Oil Filter Wrench - RVWholesalers.com RV Parts and Accessories

Cliff

Old 11-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Cliff, The wrench I have I picked up at an auto parts store ( forget which one)maybe auto Zone. It slides over the botom and grips the filter. You use a 3/8" socket handle to turn it. The more pressure you use the tighter it grips the filter. Hence the crushing of filter if it is on to tight. It fits from 2 1/2" to 3 1/8" filters. It only works one way and that is to remove filters.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

That's the one. Apparently , it was on way too tight.

Cliff

Old 11-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Aside from pre-filling the filter there is one other thing I do to speed up adding the last quart. Screw the dip stink back in and turn the over engine a few times. That will drop the level enough to add more oil faster. You might have to do it a couple of times.
It is important to screw the dip stick in though because if you don't a lot of oil can spray all over the place. (voice of experience speaking here)
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Clay.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
My filter wrench is still on the filter. Couldn't get it off after I installed it.

Figured what the heck might as well leave it on then I'll know where it is.

Without that wrench it is near impossible to remove the filter and I had to go to the Cummins dealer to buy it, which was fine because I buy my filters from them too.
I love this solution! Why clutter up your toolbox with extra items when you can keep the tool where it's needed? I can't wait to climb under my rig and lock the wrench in there!
www.LowesTravels.com
sdlowe11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Did you try removing dipstick while filling? Works on mine!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdlowe11

I love this solution! Why clutter up your toolbox with extra items when you can keep the tool where it's needed? I can't wait to climb under my rig and lock the wrench in there!
The only problem is even if you can't get it off , no matter how hard you try. The first pebble that you drive over will be enough to wiggle it off and it will be lost forever. :-).
Cliff

Old 11-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
The only problem is even if you can't get it off , no matter how hard you try. The first pebble that you drive over will be enough to wiggle it off and it will be lost forever. :-).
Cliff
Clifftall...That was my concern also but I just now checked it and that baby is still welded on there. I've gone about 10,000 miles and added maybe 75 hours on the generator since I did the change so I think it's there to stay.

I didn't want to remove the filter in order to remove the wrench so I took the chance. So far, so good.

Watch. Tomorrow it will fall off!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland

Watch. Tomorrow it will fall off!!!
I hope not. EEK

Cliff

Old 11-24-2012, 02:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thankfully it's only once a year ( for me ). I hope you had the filter wrench. I didn't the first time and let's just say , I had a mess. ( screwdriver through the filter trick.) EEK

Cliff
i use a napa oil filter wrench pn 775-9018 on my genny. it works well for me.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Cliff
It won't be lost, you'll find it lodged in the grill of your toad. I personally would never leave it there. I would find a way to knock it off. But that's just me.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

My filter wrench is similar to a vice grip. I use it on filters of different sizes and it is easy to remove.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan