Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Chalky Fiberglass roof?

The color of my motor home handles the white chalky stan that runs down the side of the rig. My question is should I stop the chalky roof with wax or is it OK to leave it be chalky?

I guess to elaborate will yellowing wax make my roof last longer or is just as well to leave it be chalky?
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 05:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Same thing is happening to me. I look forward to any suggestions.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
The color of my motor home handles the white chalky stan that runs down the side of the rig. My question is should I stop the chalky roof with wax or is it OK to leave it be chalky?

I guess to elaborate will yellowing wax make my roof last longer or is just as well to leave it be chalky?
Well Sir,
Chalking is a sign of excessive oxidation to the fiberglass. It's just like any surface on an automobile. If one never washes or waxes a paint job on the average car, you'll eventually see chalking on it too only, it will take a bit longer 'cause automobile surfaces have more UV resistance engineered into them.

Anyway, to answer your question, you could leave it like that and, most likely you'll get away with it for a number of years since, in all the years I've beer RVing, I've never heard of anyone's fiberglass roof, ROTTING OFF.

Or, you could get up there and, give it a good scrub with some soap and water and, even some cleanser to be a bit more aggressive to get off the excess oxidation. Then, a good wax job will take care of it for quite a while. Some will advocate the use of floor wax like ZEP or, other products to use up there and, many have had I guess, good results.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

a couple of coats of mop and glow will work great.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Short and simple,,, wash it frequently
Old 11-06-2015, 10:56 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I use a coating designed for boats and that works quite well. It makes cleaning the roof easier (actually almost self cleaning) and a clean roof lessens the load on the AC.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:35 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We always have used NU Finish on our rigs. The Winnie adventurer that we owned from 2000 to 2005 was not painted and never turned yellow. We are using it on the little rig I just bought. It is not painted and I expect it will never turn yellow either.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I have an 1999 Itasca Spirit, with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel which I had chipped for economy 11 MPG. For the roof I 1st cleaned it very good. Then I put down a heavy coat of McQuires paste wax when I was almost done it started raining and didn't stop for 3 days. Very hard to get off.called McQuires & they told me to put another coat of the same wax. Still hard to get off. So I sprayed the roof with a wax called ICE, then used a buffer with foam head. Shined like a new penny. That was 3 yrs. ago. After just washing with a water fed hose brush the shine comes back with just cold water. Exception is where leaves have been allowed to sit.The overhang for me was the hardest part.I hope this post helps any of us that own fiberglass RV's. Happy Trails = Jim:aka-trikerguy
triker guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Be extremely careful when walking on the Turtle Wax ICE! It makes things very, very slippery. I use it all over our coach: Outside walls & roof, windows (inside & out), mirrors, countertops, rubber gaskets on the outside, sinks, the face of the fridge and microwave. I even ICE the walls in the shower. Just not the shower floor as it gets way too slippery.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I found this article on the web - FIBERGLASS CARE AND MAINTENANCE

Fiberglass Care and Maintenance Article - Protect All

Choose a wax suitable for fiberglass, like Protect All, Polish, Wax and Treatment with UV Protectant.

Max UV protection is one of the key features to look for.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I finally ended up using ZEP floor wax, 4 coats as recommended on the bottle, using a 10" applicator head. First I pressure washed it using a rotating head.
Ok, I am lazy, but too cheap to get it done by the pros.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:49 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Washed and cleaned really good, on my hands and knee's.......that is the key to how long it will last and how it will look when you are done. I put 5 coats of Zep commercial floor wax on my fiberglass roof. It looks like new.......did it in the early spring, and it still looks like the photo now in the fall..........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07020.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	111867  
Old 11-22-2015, 05:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

Please on my new to me 2000 Aerbus I have a chalky roof that runs down onto the sides and glass when it rains or even when moisture in the air. So do I use soap and water to remove it before applying a finish coat. It is pretty heavily oxidized.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

The Zep will not be affected from outside elements?
usajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Do you keep the Zep off of all the caulking ?
doublehooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had exactly the same problem as the OP and used Dicor Fiberglass Roof Coating on the roof three years ago and the chalking stopped completely. http://www.amazon.com/Dicor-RPFRC1-F.../dp/B007TQI96K

Yes, it costs a bit more than some other approaches but at least you're using a product that is intended for this purpose rather than trying to adapt some other product to your needs.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof