Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Chalking of Fiberglass Roof on Journey

My fiberglass roof on my 2005 Journey chalks here in the Southwest, and, as most of you know, this results in white streaks down the side of the coach. This is apparently a well know phenomena with Winnebago coaches. Well, I was Forest City, IA, last fall and went to the museum where they have an excellent video on the Company. In the video the narrator said "unlike or other coach manufacturers our coaches do not have white streaking", or something to that effect.

I asked a Winnebago consultant in the gift shop area about white streaking and the comments made on the video. She said she would go to the back and find out. 15 minutes passed and no consultant. We had to go.

Has anyone else approached Winnebago regarding white streaking resulting from chalking of the roof. Does anyone know more about Winnebago's claim of "no chalking"?

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with a CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Roof oxididation repair

Had the same problem on my 2005 Itasca Horizon. Wash your roof with TSP, simple green or any good cleaner. Dry it well. Mask around the edges and coat with "Petit" Easy Poxy Gloss White. It is a marine deck paint. Used this product a year ago and the roof looks like new.
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Had the same problem on my 2005 Itasca Horizon. Wash your roof with TSP, simple green or any good cleaner. Dry it well. Mask around the edges and coat with "Petit" Easy Poxy Gloss White. It is a marine deck paint. Used this product a year ago and the roof looks like new.
Did you brush or roll that on? I've read about this stuff and it looks pretty good. Did it leave a smooth finish or some texture?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Here is a link to a company that sells it and has info... Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Boat Paint

Quote "Easypoxy may be applied by brush, roller, conventional or airless spray. For brush or roller application apply without thinning, although in hot weather 5-10% Pettit 120 Brushing Thinner may be added to maintain a wet edge. For best results on large, smooth surfaces roll out using a short nap roller followed immediately by leveling off with the tip of a brush."

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:45 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Location: If something hasn't broken on your RV, it is about to.
Sounds like Pettit EasyPoxy Topside Boat Paint should be a good solution to the roof chalking problem. Winnebago should be recommending it.

Two Questions: How long have you had it on your Itasca roof? How many sq. ft. does one quart cover? My roof is roughly 250 sq. ft.

Suncircles
2005 Journey 36G with a 2006 CRV Toad
Suncircles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Application

I trimmed it in with a brush and finished with a roller. I bought a gallon and used over 1/2 of it. The finish is very smooth and glossy
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I have the same problem I used to have black streaks with the Journey now I have white streaks with the Ellipse. Has anyone checked with Winnebago or the roof manufacturer before they put a hard finish on the roof?
Old 08-27-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG1 View Post
I have the same problem I used to have black streaks with the Journey now I have white streaks with the Ellipse. Has anyone checked with Winnebago or the roof manufacturer before they put a hard finish on the roof?
I don't see how it would be different than painting the rest of the coach with urethane paint. There was a thread on another forum where a fellow painted his white fiberglass roof with urethane clear coat. It looked fantastic. He used a roller to leave a bit of texture to keep the roof from being too slick.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey, roof