Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling fan with light kit

Well, I've searched and looked everywhere I can think of and can't find this. I want to replace the overhead light in the bedroom of our 2005 Adventurer 38J with a ceiling fan. I would prefer a 12 vdc unit but can't find one with a light kit. HELP!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I'm surprised that you found a 12v ceiling fan, let alone the light. The vent fans are 12v of course but I don't consider them as ceiling fans.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The fans are common and can be purchased just about anywhere where supplies are sold but have never seen any with a light kit. My fan is showing it's age so need to replace it. Camping Worlds is about $125. If you find a good deal especially with kit please share.

Don G
Grimesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimesy View Post
The fans are common and can be purchased just about anywhere where supplies are sold but have never seen any with a light kit.
Don G
I work for an RV dealership and I've never seen one, either in a coach or in our parts showroom. I gotta check the catalog!
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:45 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerboy View Post
Well, I've searched and looked everywhere I can think of and can't find this. I want to replace the overhead light in the bedroom of our 2005 Adventurer 38J with a ceiling fan. I would prefer a 12 vdc unit but can't find one with a light kit. HELP!!!
Here's a link to a 12 volt fan available from PPL:
https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...eiling-fan.htm

I'm not sure if this one has a remote control. The one we purchased from PPL for our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer did, and it came in very handy. We mounted the remote control cradle on a cabinet within reach of the bed. Then the fan could be started, stopped, reversed, or change speeds without having to get out of bed in the middle of the night.

I would highly recommend one without a light. The light would be so low you would hit your head on it every time you passed under it.

We removed the original ceiling light and put the fan in it's place. Then extended a second set of wires from the fan forward a couple feet and mounted an almost identical ceiling light. The only exception was that the new light had a built in switch.

The original wall switch would send power to both the fan and light. Since the light had it's own switch it could be used either in conjunction with or independent of the fan.

The installation and moving the light were relatively simple. Just make sure the fan blades clear the overhead cabinets in both the open and closed positions.

We installed this fan in 2006. It was still working quietly when we traded off the motorhome in 2013. We ordered a similar fan in the bedroom of our 2013 Adventurer. However the fan from PPL was quieter and with the remote was easier to operate.

On Edit: This is the fan we installed in our 2001 Adventurer.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...te-white/58070

If you follow the link there is also a link to the instruction manual on the same page. The manual gives good pictures of the fan and remote control
Old 08-02-2015, 02:32 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replys folks. At lease I don't feel quiet as bad about not being able to find one now. Clearance is not an issue as it will be over the bad. Guess the moving of the light out a couple feet is the answer. Need a new light anyway as the lens won't stay on the one we have.

Thanks again
Old 08-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here's what I used but it's a residential 120vac. Short blades and fit over the bed without incident ... never came close to hitting a blade getting in and out of bed or walking around bed. I really miss it in our newer RV.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/resid...ll-232628.html
Old 08-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Here's what I used but it's a residential 120vac. Short blades and fit over the bed without incident ... never came close to hitting a blade getting in and out of bed or walking around bed. I really miss it in our newer RV.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/resid...ll-232628.html
Thought of that but the 120 vac is a problem. Closest is the TV .
Old 08-02-2015, 03:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Thought of that but the 120 vac is a problem. Closest is the TV .

Yup ... didn't say it was easy . However, the 120vac residential fans are FAR better than the 12vdc fans. I went thru 2 of the 12vdc fans and then gave up... they have bad bearings and lots of hum.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Guess all I need is one hot 12 volt wire run to the existing light location for the fan. Then extend the existing wires over a couple feet for the new light. That way the wall switch will operate the new light and I can run the fan with a remote. Now if I could just get my coach back from the glass shop, I could get the DW right on this project!!!
Old 08-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Guess all I need is one hot 12 volt wire run to the existing light location for the fan. Then extend the existing wires over a couple feet for the new light. That way the wall switch will operate the new light and I can run the fan with a remote. Now if I could just get my coach back from the glass shop, I could get the DW right on this project!!!
You'll have to extend both the hot wire and the ground wire from the existing light connection to the new location. Remember the fan and light are mounted to a luan plywood base. It doesn't conduct electricity like a metal automobile body.

I removed the old light. Picked a place for the new one, and cut a hole with a 1" hole saw. Then ran a coat hanger sized wire between the plywood and insulation from the new hole to the original. I added 2 new wires to the existing ones then made a loop in the pull wire, taped the electrical wires to it and pulled it back to the new hole.

Be generous with the length of the wires you add. It's easier to cut off a few inches if necessary than to have the connection points so close the ceiling that there isn't room for your hands, or so close you can't see what you're doing.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Well,
Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, CAME with a 12VDC ceiling fan in it from the factory. It's a great fan. While it doesn't put out enough air to blast Toto away in the Wizard of Oz, it does move enough air to help us sleep comfortably. As for noise or hum, the fan motor that was in there did develop a bit of a hum. We were both comfortable with it as it never kept us from getting a nights sleep.

But, just for grins, I did a tad bit of research on it and, came up with place that sold new replacement 12VDC motors specific to those fans. I picked one up for around $29.00 or so with free shipping way back when I did it. It's now been in service for right at 4 years and is still as quiet as the day I installed.

It's really a nice setup as, it's two speed from the wall switch. And, like any house unit, it's reversible.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 02:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

jerboy,
we are happy with our 12v bedroom ceiling fan with remote from the
backwoods solar company. no light.
we've had it for 9 years. we usually run it on low speed in reverse.
my post when I installed it should be in the archives of this forum.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan, light