Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2006, 11:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I've noticed on the Journey's they have a ceiling fan in the bedroom. Would this be able to be put in the Adventurer? DW loves the ceiling fan at home and is now pestering me to see if possible to put on in ours.

us + 3 active boys + 2 crazy labs + 1 plucky bird
Bob RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I believe it is possible to put a ceiling fan on most that do not have a side-sliding bed. The ceiling fan blades could hit the slide when it is retracted in that case. It should be easy to install if you already have a ceiling mounted light.

My DW loves ceiling fans too, and I have mounted dozens of them in homes we lived in around the country while in the military. So far, I have convinced her that we cannot have on in the moho because of our side slide bed. So, she uses a small fan on the drawer unit unde the TV at the foot of the bed in winter months. In summer, we normally run the a/c fan on constant "on" during the night for both air and white noise.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38G with a bedroom slide. I purchased a ceiling fan through our local Winnebago dealer and installed it where the light is, I had to remove the dimmer switch and replace it with a regular switch, I had to use a double switch because the dimmer had a large hole, the second switch is just there and does nothing. The switch also can be bought at a local Winnebago dealer.

Jerry
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38G
2004 Honda CRV toad
Blue OX tow bar
JerryF101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Jerry--the ceiling fan clears the slide? Your Suncruiser 38G is similar to our Adventurer 35A--slide is on the same side--probable even slides out/in the same amount. When you got it from the dealer did you have to ask for a certain size-or is there just one? And if you don't mind me asking about how much was the fan. I would do the work myself-from what you described it sounds fairly easy.

Old 03-22-2006, 07:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Jerry:
Very interesting project. I would love to consider a ceiling fan in my Suncruiser 35U (and will check for slide clearance) but was wondering if you put another light in. Do the fans come with a light? Also, did you not want a dimmer switch for the fan speed, or was it not going to work that way for you? Did you need to reinforce the ceiling or do anything special to mount the fan? I agree with Bob and would love to hear the answers to his questions also. Thanks for the post
Old 03-22-2006, 08:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

The ceiling fan in our Horizon was very noisey, it seemed like the ball bearings were dry so Bago replaced it they said, but the new one is just as bad. Can't sleep with all the roller noise when its on. I see that some of the camper supply stores are now carrying them and they have one available with wireless remote on off controls which makes a lot of sense to me. Who wants to get up at night after it has cooled down to shut off the fan. At the least Bago should put a 3 way on off circut in with one control by the bed.
Just mho
Ace
d.duin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have both ceiling fans in my new Horizon which is a 4 slider. None of them hit the slides and the slides are VERY deep. Winnebago uses a small 12 volt fan with a 35" blade which is much smaller than a normal household version. The switch operates in 3 positions, low, high and off. The fans are not "noisy" by any means, but they are a bit wobbly. I can correct that (if I wish and it got to bad), with a balancing kit which you can buy at any Home Depot. As one person pointed out, I do not think you would need a "reinforcement" due to the sheer "lightness" of the fans. They strictly move air and add a nice touch, but nothing else. The fan control switch for the bedroom exists just outside the bedroom door where all the other light switches exist. I too wish they would have placed those within the bedroom area by the bed. I'm sure a remote control will be used in the future.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Bob,

Camping World has a remote control ceiling fan. It is the same fan Winnie uses, but with a 3 speed remote. Seems to run smoother too, but maybe my original Winnie supplied fan was just a bad example.

One caution though - if you want it for the ambiance, you'll be happy with it. If you want to really move some air, you'll probably be disappointed. We use a ceiling fan over the bed at home and the airflow in the RV just doesn't compare. I think it's because the lower ceiling in the RV forces the fan to be mounted very close to the ceiling and doesn't allow a good flow of air into the top of the blades. I'm not saying it doesn't work, it's just not "like home".

If you have a Winnie dealer nearby, you might want to stop by and try out the ceiling fan in one of their new units.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

How much did Wini want for the ceiling fan?

Old 03-22-2006, 12:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Tom--I did a search at camping world but can't find it. Can you give me a link to where you saw it?

I might have to take DW to see one in action--she complains that the fan for the ac makes too much noise for her to sleep comfortably. I personally like to keep the ac fan on for white noise since I sleep better w/ it. We're trying to reach a happy median--never will happen. (Our other option is a regular table oscilating fan)

Old 03-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

You're right, Bob. It doesn't seem to be on the website anymore. I bought mine about a year ago. You might try calling - sometimes their stores have things that are not on the website and visa versa.

If at all possible, try to see one in action before you go to the expense and trouble. It may not be what she is expecting. Luckily, we both like the ac fan...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Not a Winnie owner, but like to keep up with whats happening.
I just installed a "SHURflo Comfort Air exhaust fan", purchased from Camping World.--About $99.00.
fits the 14 X14 opening vent. You can run the fan with the vent cover closed and it becomes a circulating fan. It looks like the Fantastic fans, if fact they sell 3 different models-Silver-Gold-Platinum. I replaced the bathroom fan, as it was small and noisey. I wanted to have better ventilation.
The design on the Vent cover works well for circualting air, plus the screen just clips out for cleaning.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

The reason I took the dimmer switch out is that the fan makes noise with the dimmer and the reason for this is the fan has to have a steady 12 volts and a constant current and the dimmer limits this.

2004 Honda CRV Toad
Old 03-22-2006, 04:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I found a website for a dealer of ceiling fans.
The dealer is Creative Enery Technologies

www.cetsolar.com/12ceilingfan.htm

2004 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar
Old 03-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

That appears to be the same fan that is/was sold by camping world and at a better price. I paid $149 at cw.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Bob ...

I have a ceiling fan for a 2004 Journey that is still in the box ... We decided not to install the fan because we wanted the light fixture ...

If you can figure out how to send me a message, I am sure that we can figure out a favorable exchange ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by skigramp:
If you can figure out how to send me a message, I am sure that we can figure out a favorable exchange ...
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
Click "Skigramp's name in his post"
Click "Invite Skigramp to private topic"[/list]
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote