Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
Ceiling fan?

My DW today said she'd like a ceiling fan in the family room area. I think I can order the same parts as in the bedroom and tap into my exhaust fan wiring and use a remote control.

I would love to see pics first if someone has already done it.

Thanks

I think that would be cheaper than making my front a/c quieter. That's the real problem.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

tnteacherguy, have you changed out the condenser fan blades to the new design.
I have heard it helps the noise a lot on some coaches? We turn off the compressor and keep the fan on in the front and run the back compressor to keep the noise down if it is not on hot outside.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 08:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
My DW today said she'd like a ceiling fan in the family room area. I think I can order the same parts as in the bedroom and tap into my exhaust fan wiring and use a remote control.

I would love to see pics first if someone has already done it.

Thanks

I think that would be cheaper than making my front a/c quieter. That's the real problem.
Well Sir,
I hope you don't have anyone REALLY tall in your family or, friends that regularly visit you in your coach. If you're talking about installing a ceiling fan that's the same size and dimensions as the bed room fans, that fan may hang a bit low for general walking around in that area of the living room/family area. I could be wrong but, based on the fact that the bedroom fan is of the same height, but, not many folks WALK underneath it 'cause the beds in the way.

But, if the wife want's it, well I guess you know what that means
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Luckily for me (this time) we are not very tall. My son is 5'11" and the tallest person to visit the coach thus far (techs excluded).

It will be easy to clean.

But, that's an excellent point to consider.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Luckily for me (this time) we are not very tall. My son is 5'11" and the tallest person to visit the coach thus far (techs excluded).

It will be easy to clean.

But, that's an excellent point to consider.
Another consideration is the closed width and location of that center. The bedroom ceiling is reinforced at the factory. How will that be done if you do install the fan? I think it is a good idea I just don't know how practical it is to do. You don't want the Luan to separate from the insulation.

Rick Y
Old 03-14-2015, 02:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Still another thing to consider is the position and size of the ducting in the ceiling for the AC. The newer system has two ducts above the ceiling panel. One is for air distribution and the other is for return air. Older coaches with the basement air only had a single duct in the ceiling for air distribution. The return air came through a filter under the bed.
Old 03-14-2015, 04:26 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have an old Winnebago with a fan in the living area and another in the bedroom. They are between the two rows front to rear of air conditioner/heat pump vents and the front fan is about one and a half foot from the front fantastic fan. Have you asked Winnebago about the idea?
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the input.
I received a picture and story from a member that basically showed how he installed a fan just like the one in the bedroom in the family room.

He dropped the ceiling valance and added some support to the ceiling in the center of the coach ceiling. looks great.

I'm going to wait until next year. For now, we'll leave SW Florida and head to Canada for the summer. I'll work on it in the fall when she brings it up again.

Old 03-14-2015, 08:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks for all the input.
I received a picture and story from a member that basically showed how he installed a fan just like the one in the bedroom in the family room.

He dropped the ceiling valance and added some support to the ceiling in the center of the coach ceiling. looks great.

I'm going to wait until next year. For now, we'll leave SW Florida and head to Canada for the summer. I'll work on it in the fall when she brings it up again.

sounds like a plan. Pictures to follow??

Rick Y

Tags
ceiling, fan