Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Ceiling Buckle

We are days away from revisiting a dealer for warranty work, so we'll get this issue checked out there. But, I wanted to check in here and see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

Two days ago, on a chilly morning, I noticed a spot in the ceiling mid-coach where there was a "poof" or "buckle" that about 2 feet side to side and 6 inches front to back. As the outside temperature went up and the sun shined on the coach, the "buckle" vanished. After the sun set, it reappeared. The last two days the cycle has repeated itself.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm eager to learn from your experience! And, I appreciate your thoughts!

Thanks,
Mary
Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Do you have an aluminum roof? They have expansion joints. Sounds like an expansion thing, since the slack gets tightened up with some warmth?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Aluminum expands when warmed and contracts when cold.

Is the spot on the inside or the outside?

Ken
Old 03-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

All Winne's have fiberglass roof.

Certainly sounds like something is expanding and contracting with changes in temps. Let us know what your dealer says. I would be thinking of a trip to the factory if it is something related to the roof structure.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It's inside in the ceiling...kind of a bubble. DH will check the exterior to see if there is anything unusual up there. We'll let you know what the dealer has to say tomorrow. Fingers are crossed that it's something very minor!

Mary
Old 03-31-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Have you touched "the bubble" when you can see it??? Is the "bubble" hard? ...or soft? (soft like air or liquid ...air would likely be no big deal, liquid would!)

I don't know if the '09 Tour has fabric or vinyl ceiling covering, but it is not unusual at all for there to be relatively small areas where the adhesive between the fabric/vinyl and the luan plywood behind it to turn loose. There are two areas in our coach, maybe 10 inches long and not quite as wide that I can see when light conditions, temp, and all are just right. I first noticed the "bubbles" about 6 years ago. They have not changed at all over that time, and I rarely notice them anymore unless I am looking for them. Some folks have used a spray adhesive to re-glue the material, getting access at a nearby light fixture or other ceiling penetration. The spray adhesive normally comes with a small straw-like applicator that can be put through a small hole in the fabric if necessary. On my cloth, a hole like that would not be noticeable, but on vinyl it likely would.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

AFChap, I'm hoping you're right on. The ceiling is vinyl. The bubble is soft and "airy", and not at all "liquidy". So, that's good...I guess. We shall see!
Old 04-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We're back from our service appt this morning. The service tech examined the bubble and says it's an air bubble and recommended the ceiling panel be replaced. Nothing structural. It's all been documented and we'll put it on the list for our visit to Forest City.

Thanks ya'll for your help!

Mary