Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if I should post this here or on the Chassis forum or if I can post it both places. *cringes... haven't read the T.O.S. rules lately*

BUT, can anybody shed any light on the recall? I took a quick look at the CATRV Yahoo group and I don't think I saw a post pertaining to it.

I don't have a recall number but I did read a quick blurb on the NHTSA website that read:

"Caterpillar is recalling 8,055 C7 and C9 diesel engines that are equipped with a CR 350 (Common Rail High Pressure) pump. The affected engines include 6 cylinder C7 (7L) and C9 (9L) turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled diesel engines of 190 through 425 horsepower. A crack in this plug can result in a high pressure fuel spray or leak which, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire. Each vehicle manufacturer will file a defect report and remedy plan for their vehicles which included these engines as original equipment. Vehicles will be repaired by Caterpillar at no cost to the owner. The recall is expected to begin during August 2008. Owners can contact either their vehicle manufacturer or Caterpillar at 1-800-447-4986. 08E-042"

I also see there is a power steering recall too. Since I'm on the road and it takes more than a month for my mail to catch up to me, I haven't received an official notification on the power steering recall. Has anybody had it done? How long does it take?

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_08V223000_200...EY_recall_78686.html

Thanks.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">edit: OH! I see there's a CAT forum here on iRV! I didn't know that! I didn't see them talking about it there either, though.</span>
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't know if I should post this here or on the Chassis forum or if I can post it both places. *cringes... haven't read the T.O.S. rules lately*

BUT, can anybody shed any light on the recall? I took a quick look at the CATRV Yahoo group and I don't think I saw a post pertaining to it.

I don't have a recall number but I did read a quick blurb on the NHTSA website that read:

"Caterpillar is recalling 8,055 C7 and C9 diesel engines that are equipped with a CR 350 (Common Rail High Pressure) pump. The affected engines include 6 cylinder C7 (7L) and C9 (9L) turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled diesel engines of 190 through 425 horsepower. A crack in this plug can result in a high pressure fuel spray or leak which, in the presence of an ignition source, could result in a fire. Each vehicle manufacturer will file a defect report and remedy plan for their vehicles which included these engines as original equipment. Vehicles will be repaired by Caterpillar at no cost to the owner. The recall is expected to begin during August 2008. Owners can contact either their vehicle manufacturer or Caterpillar at 1-800-447-4986. 08E-042"

I also see there is a power steering recall too. Since I'm on the road and it takes more than a month for my mail to catch up to me, I haven't received an official notification on the power steering recall. Has anybody had it done? How long does it take?

http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_08V223000_200...EY_recall_78686.html

Thanks.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">edit: OH! I see there's a CAT forum here on iRV! I didn't know that! I didn't see them talking about it there either, though.</span>
Old 08-14-2008, 04:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

This is the recall # NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 08E042000

1998 Jeep Cherokee
jgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

2)
COMPONENT IDENTIFICATION
Model No.: C7 and C9 Diesel Engines produced by Caterpillar Inc.
Serial No. Prefixes: C7S & C9S
Manufacturing Ship Date: Jan 8, 2007 to June 12,2008
Component Description: CR350 (Common Rail High Pressure Pump) used on 6 cylinder,
C7 (7L) and C9 (9L) turbocharged and air-to-air aftercooled diesel engines of 190 -425
Horsepower.
3)
NUMBER OF ENGINES POTENTLALLY CONTAINING DEFECT
8,055 ngin s (includes US & Canada)
4)
ESTIMATED PERCENTAGE OF ENGINES CONTAINING POTENTIAL DEFECT
1% of the engine population identified in 3.
5)
DEFECT DESCRIPTION
A fuel pump outlet check plug crack will cause fuel to spray and leak out of a crack in the
plug, which may be a potential fire hazard. An engine de-rate may be experienced and a
check engine lamp or an engine protection lamp may also be activated.
6)
PRINCIPAL EVENTS THAT WERE THE BASIS FOR MAKING RECALL
DETERMINATION
a)
On June 2nd , 2008 Caterpillar became aware of a fuel pump outlet check plug failure
where a crack can initiate and propagate resulting in a fuel spray and leak from the plug.
b)
Caterpillar' investigation identified that this failure mode has resulted in 36 known field
failures with a mean time to failure of 5,000 miles. None of these 36 field failures
resulted in a fire; they have manifested themselves as a fuel leak.
c)
On June 19,2008 Caterpillar decided to declare a Safety Defect and remedy the engines
with a Safety Recall.
7)
PROGRAM TO REMEDY DEFECT
a) To remedy the defect, Caterpillar will issue the Safety Recall using a Safety Product
Improvement Program (the Caterpillar process used) to replace the Fuel Pump Plugs,
with cust mer notification from Caterpillar.
b) NHTSA will be sent a list of impacted OEMs and quantities by July 3. The OEMs
will then be sent this Defect Report. Quarterly reporting will be done by Caterpillar
noting completion rates by OEM.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thank you Norm and jgore.

I don't remember sending in a registration card to CAT. Will Winnebago send me a recall notice? I'm assuming not. I guess I should call Winnebago and confirm that I am included.

Can I take it to a Freightliner dealer while I have my power steering pump recall done? ...or does it have to be an actual CAT dealer?
Old 08-15-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Cat will have to do the work. Freightliner will tell you to go away.

That's the one thing that irritates me about MH ownership - with the Vectra, I have to go to Freightliner, the Winnebago dealer, the Cat repair facility, and Allison - at the least. Then I have to go to tire dealers, alignment shops (that can do a truck chassis), etc.

If somebody ever figures out how to combine all that into one network, they'll rule the world (are you listening Winnebago!!)

At least with the View - it's down to Dodge and Winnebago . . . but still.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scirocco22:
I don't remember sending in a registration card to CAT. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>scriocco22,
IMHO I don't think this recall probably applies to your 2007 Winnie.

Per the recall notice the first engine affected was built on January 8, 2007. Generally speaking the engine manufacturers model year begins in January and chassis manufacturer model year begins in April. Also, any engine built after January 1, 2007 has to be EPA 2007 spec. So any of these engines that ended up in motorhomes would have been for the 2008 model year.

Also, FL dropped CAT because their EPA 2007 spec engines cost too much. As such there are no CAT engines in any FL chassis, let alone Winnebago, for 2008 model year.

If you want to be sure you can call CAT at 800-447-4986 and give them your engine serial number. If you don't have it I think it's called out on the Winnebago major systems model/serial number sheet that you should have received with your other documentation. If not call FL Help Desk and they can give you the serial number.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote