Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

We have gray carpeting and have noticed that the carpet has discolored at the rear of the doghouse, it looks yellow like a giant coffee stain (it's not). The discoloration even extends onto the floor near the rear of the doghouse. I have a feeling that it's caused from heat from the engine.

We never store the MH without closing the front curtains so it's not sun bleeched. I've tried a good quality carpet cleaner and stain remover and it won't come out. It appears to be getting worse with time.

I plan on insulating the underside of the dog house with some 12" wide sticky back aluminum faced foam tape which hopefully also help with the hot right foot problems and engine noise with these models.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

Ford V10
weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We have gray carpeting and have noticed that the carpet has discolored at the rear of the doghouse, it looks yellow like a giant coffee stain (it's not). The discoloration even extends onto the floor near the rear of the doghouse. I have a feeling that it's caused from heat from the engine.

We never store the MH without closing the front curtains so it's not sun bleeched. I've tried a good quality carpet cleaner and stain remover and it won't come out. It appears to be getting worse with time.

I plan on insulating the underside of the dog house with some 12" wide sticky back aluminum faced foam tape which hopefully also help with the hot right foot problems and engine noise with these models.

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a solution?

Thanks.

Ford V10
Old 08-09-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I wonder if the rubber seal around the dog house is allowing some engine burn off to seep in to the cab area?
I installed the insulation under mine and couldn't believe the difference in both noise and heat but had a devil of a time getting the dog house to seal back up completely. It would lock down perfectly but over time creep back about a quarter inch, allowing heat and noise at the front. I finally put the two screws back in the front that the factory had put there. (The ones everyone said to trow away because you don't need them.)
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:21 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll keep your reply in mind when I install the insulation. We had the doghouse blow off at 65mph...that was fun, my wife almost hard a heart attack.

Ford V10
Old 08-09-2008, 11:30 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, I'll keep your reply in mind when I install the insulation. We had the doghouse blow off at 65mph...that was fun, my wife almost hard a heart attack.

Ford V10
Old 08-10-2008, 04:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have a similar problem in my coach. Mine occurs at the front of the doghouse on drivers side. It is slight, but still there. I forced a piece of clear plastic hose down into the crevice between the dog house and the firewall. This seems to have stopped the problem. It has been about a year now and things look good.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to think that it's fumes from the adhesive melting that's holding the carpet down, I'm going to try several solvents before I replace the carpet. I don't believe that this type of carpeting is meant to be glued to anything.

Ford V10
Old 08-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

we have had good results cleaning carpet with OXY-CLEAN in the moho. we have also used it on the roof headliner.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the tip, I'll try it if the solvents don't work.

Ford V10