Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Due to a mild altercation with a fence post at the end of the driveway, I find myself needing body work on one compartment door on my 2006 Journey. can anyone advise how to remove the door from the coach so that it can be delivered to the body shop?

I see the rivets holding the door panel to the hinges but surely drilling out the rivets is not the answer.
Hoop98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Due to a mild altercation with a fence post at the end of the driveway, I find myself needing body work on one compartment door on my 2006 Journey. can anyone advise how to remove the door from the coach so that it can be delivered to the body shop?

I see the rivets holding the door panel to the hinges but surely drilling out the rivets is not the answer.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
GG1
Winnie-Wise

This is just my opinion, but you are better off driving the door along with the motorhome to the body shop in case any blending of the colors is needed.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

all the colors of the coach are represented on this door panel and damage is contained in one corner of the door so only one color is involved. The dealer i purchased from said removing it is the best way but service manager couldn't tell me how to remove it. One of their techs is supposed to call me tomorrow but I don't have much hope in that happening.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:22 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Hoop:

If they haven't change the setup since my 2002, this is what you will need to do:

Look under the small trim piece that runs along the coach just above the doors...you should see some small screws..one at each end and generally one near each of the two cargo door hinges. Remove these little screws and the trim piece will come off revealing the door hinges which are srewed on. Remove the 3 or 4 screws per hinge, and the door will come off.
Oh, you need to disengage the door lift arms from the doors for removal.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 04:13 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

SML has it correct...

Just to add a note, you will need to remove the trim rail for the entire length of that piece of trim rail.

You might be tempted to take off the hinges on the door side of the hinge, I would advise not too. The first time I pulled mine off, I did it that way, and they are a PITA to get back lined up. Take the trim rail off, then pop your lift arms off, Let the door hang, and pull out the screws for the two door hinges, while you and a helper hold the door up.

http://www.dereketnyre.com/blog/uploads/000_0215.jpg

This is the best Pic we took of our door project. I thought someone else also posted pics under the separating sidewall problem.
The Picture does show you the rail under the trim rail. just below this rail is where the hinges are screwed in.

John (N9MXX) & Derek (KC9KEM)
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 05:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

smlranger and moder2, many thanks to both of you. Is there sealant under the trim piece and how long in general is each length of trim?
Old 06-17-2007, 05:37 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

No sealant under mine...held on by those little screws only. On the street side of my rig (where both my slides are), the trim pieces are different lengths....longest one is on LR slide. On the curb side, the trim piece is one continuous piece from rear of entry door to back of coach.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Hoops98
I have just been through the same problem. I posted on here about 2-3 weeks ago asking the same questions. This is what I ended up doing:
The screws in the trim piece are very small and hard to see or feel,but they are there. Mine had the screws at each end of the of the trim piece and over each compartment door hinge. Had to take out 3 of them and then gently pull out on the trim enough to expose the top of the hinges. There are 3-4 screws holding the hinges to the CD(comprtment door). It is definetly a 2 person job. A good body shop will be able to take pictures and match the paint. Got a good job. Cost 330.00. Kind of pricey for a boo-boo!
smlranger has it pretty well correct. In my case I did not completely remove the trim.
mrbojangles 04 Vecta 40 ft.
mrbojangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:53 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Glad to get this information also. During one section of I-35 south of Wichita, Ks a car passed us just as a small piece of metal about the size of a large dinner plate appeared between the two lanes of traffic. The car clipped the piece flipping it against the side of our coach. Somehow it caught two compartment doors on the driver's side making dings about 2" by 3" but thank goodness neither one actually pierced the outer skin . I've been wondering how to get the doors off but I'm inclined to believe the best way would be to drive to the body shop if I can find a local one that can accomodate a 36' coach. Unfortunately there are two colors on each door and they will need to line up with the same colors on the rest of the coach. Not a pleasant situation. I say a door painted by Winnebago at Forest City a couple years ago and they had to re-do it because colors didn't line up the first time.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 AM   #11
GG1
Winnie-Wise

The reason for the comment about matching the paint color is that I have seen a few doors painted on other coaches specifically Winnebago that even though the color # and paint code were the same the door was obviously a mis match. The color looked like a match until it was placed next to the original then it stood out like a sore thumb.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:06 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

All of this has answered the question and been very helpful. GG1 - you are absolutedly correct about color match, i am just leery about taking a 40 footer into most of the body shops I've seen.

MANY THANKS TO ALL!!!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:05 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Good info for me too. A dummy that was driving my rig put out the slide at Beaudry's in Tucson thinking that he was clear of the water faucet. Er, no. And worse, the setup was real pipe and not pvc. And worse, I, er, the dummy, had a geyser of water about 5' in the air. And worse, Beaudry couldn't find the shut-off for about 12 hours. At least I, er the dummy, could easily find the MH by following the trail of water down the street.

I do need to get that scratch fixed.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GG1:
The reason for the comment about matching the paint color is that I have seen a few doors painted on other coaches specifically Winnebago that even though the color # and paint code were the same the door was obviously a mis match. The color looked like a match until it was placed next to the original then it stood out like a sore thumb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can attest to this. I had some Dupont Centari mixed using the Dupont color # provided in the Winne documentation. It was close enough to paint my mirrors and a rear grill, but off too much to paint a door. Original paint was Dupont Imron so that may be why. The Imron is more dull and darker.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Hoop98 - I certainly have to agree with you on the shops to take a paint job to, and I only have a 36 footer. If they could do it in one day so I could stay with the unit, that wouldn't be too bad. And the only couple shops I would even consider have driveways into their stalls that anything longer than a PU would never make it thru the dip.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote