Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Today when extending my Carefree OneTouch patio awning, I noticed the motor was dragging down and stopping part way out. After a couple of attempts, something popped loudly inside one of the arms. When it then fully extended, one arm was considerably lower than the other. The strap that runs down the inside of the awning arm has come loose from whatever it should be attached to inside the arm at the bottom. It raised back up fine, and then a pin 3/16" in diameter and 1 3/4" long fell out the bottom of the arm. I can't get to whatever the pin should be holding with the awning arm "cover" in place, and I can't figure out how to get the awning arm cover off ...it appears to be locked into grooves on each side. Can anyone tell me how to remove the awning arm cover?
Old 09-15-2006, 12:16 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Today when extending my Carefree OneTouch patio awning, I noticed the motor was dragging down and stopping part way out. After a couple of attempts, something popped loudly inside one of the arms. When it then fully extended, one arm was considerably lower than the other. The strap that runs down the inside of the awning arm has come loose from whatever it should be attached to inside the arm at the bottom. It raised back up fine, and then a pin 3/16" in diameter and 1 3/4" long fell out the bottom of the arm. I can't get to whatever the pin should be holding with the awning arm "cover" in place, and I can't figure out how to get the awning arm cover off ...it appears to be locked into grooves on each side. Can anyone tell me how to remove the awning arm cover?
Old 09-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

My suggestion is to contact Carefree they have been very helpful when I had their awnings.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I emailed Carefree. Their suggestion is I take it to a dealer, which I may have to do ...it is such a pain dealing with dealers when we live in the rig fulltime, I thought if someone can tell me how to get the awning arm cover/cap off I can at least see if this is something I want to tackle or not...
Old 09-16-2006, 04:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Paul,
I have never had mine off but I will go out this afternoon and see if I can figure out how to remove the cap---two heads are better than one!
I will let you know if I get a solution.
Ron
Old 09-16-2006, 04:48 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Don't know if this will help, but this pdf file is from their web site. It shows the construction and the part numbers.

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pd.../One_Touch.pdf

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:08 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

This pdf file may be better. It shows the 'strap guide'. Sounds like the pin in the diagram has broken. Mya not be much help in trying to get the arm out, but I think you may be able to tell what broke. Good luck

http://www.carefreeofcolorado.com/pdf/052964-001.pdf

2003 Honda Element (toad)
Florida Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I also have a One Touch and it is nothing but junk! Carefree sells a conversion kit to convert the One Touch to an Eclipse arm set. The Eclipse uses a gear drive and is much stronger. Take a look at this web site:

http://rvwholesalers.com/catalog/man...nufacturerid=4

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 05:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Don't know why the web site I provided doesn't take you to the correct page, but when you get to the above page click on Carefree Of Colorado on the left side of the page.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 09-16-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

I got those files and others from the Carefree site yesterday. The parts explosion shows the rafter cover, but no indication of how it is held on. The strap guide might be helpful in figuring out where the pin came from. They don't show the strap in place from end to end, so I'll have to figure that out if I get the cover off. There is an allen head screw at the bottom of the rafter arm that may be part of the secret ...I don't see it on any of the diagrams!

Pat ...have you done the Eclipse arm conversion? $800 to $1,100 just for the arms, then they have to be installed! We've seen the Eclipse awning on other coaches, and always thought it was way to flat horizontal ...not sloping enough for desired shading of the side of the coach. They do say it has adjustable pitch, but we've never seen one with any downward pitch! The OneTouch is a little high sometimes, but not too bad. One nice thing about the Eclipse style would be that it works better than the OneTouch when partially opened.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Paul, I think the slope issue is a good point BUT the fact that it is going out over the galley slide limits the amount of slope that you can have. I don't know if yours is like mine, the patio awning material is getting worn where it goes over the rear of the galley slide. I tried to adjust the slope to 44 degrees but the awning pulled out the rafter supports when I extended it.

Our awnings came with the remote auto retract feature and I don't know if it is transferable to the Eclipse. It consists of a limit switch and a remote tramsmitter in the arm.

I am going to make this one of my proposed winter projects this year. I am hoping to hire someone to help me as it is a two man job.

If you notice most new coaches with slides under the patio awning have awnings with little pitch and they are of the same general design as the Eclipse. You are right about it being a lot of money but in any wind the One Touch is useless, and if I continue with the One Touch and it wears a hole in the patio awning material over the slide it will be expensive to replace it.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Old 09-16-2006, 11:48 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">the fact that it is going out over the galley slide limits the amount of slope </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pat

That would make a difference. I have a 40e ...galley/lounge slide on driver's side and no front slide on the passenger side to get involved with the patio awning. I've wondered how well those worked ...now I know.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:19 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Paul,
I have looked at my Carefree arms a couple of times since your post and I still can not figure out how the cover comes off. Did you figure it out and get your awning fixed?
Sorry I couldn't help.
Ron
Old 09-20-2006, 12:28 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did you figure it out </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
We're at a rally this week so haven't had time to look at it. I'll have plenty of time next week to decide if I can deal with it, or if I need to find a dealer and go through the hassle of working with them. I'm really hopeful that I can do something with it myself. We won't be in one location for longer than 7 days for most of the next month...
Old 09-29-2006, 06:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

UPDATE ...I had my awning checked out at McNulty RV in Englewood OH. To get the arm cover off, they drilled out the two rivets that secure the arm to the base plate, then removed a set screw and the cover slides off. On the breakout, part #16 was in pieces (one piece being the pin that fell out the bottom of the arm). It is called a "lower carriage assembly." It appears the strap inside the arm goes around a spool in the assembly. Problem now is Carefree was shut down for inventory so McNulty could not get the part this week. I called back a day later willing to stay a couple of extra days but found the tech will be on vacation next week so they could not do the repair. My plan now is to have it done in Branson MO while we are there from mid Oct to mid Nov. It cost me $64 labor to find out what is wrong!!