Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2012, 07:55 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Can't see info center

Our 04 Journey has the info center located above the radio and next to the temperature/compass unit. I found that with my sunglasses on, it is very hard to read the info at the angle it is mounted. I like to keep it on the engine/rpm/gear screen so I know what gear I am in at any given time. I tried various external lighting options but that became a PIA and cumbersome, so today I removed the dash cover, the backup camera, the mounting brackets below the camera to access the info center. There are two screws that hold it in place in the cutout it is in. I removed the screws and the info center and repositioned it so that the bottom of the info center sticks out about 5/8" with the top being flush. I slid the unit down a tad so the bottom of it rest against the outside of the hole(hence the 5/8" gap). I had to get some longer screws(8-32, 1-3/8") and use a few washers but I rescrewed it back with the bottom sticking out that 5/8".

I did turn on the ignition and it appears to be a much better angle for getting a quick view of that stats. I will not get the chance to drive it till next week, so I will post an update on the road worthiness of this mod.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

LOL.... I feel your pain!!! We have a used 05 journey we bought and it is the same situation.

So far when we need to read it the passenger get on his/her knees and relays the info to the driver..... great engineering on winnies part huh???

Let me know how your mod turns out and I might do the same.

Mark
malk415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

I'm sure this was one of the reasons why Freightliner moved the info center so it's now integrated into the instrument cluster.

The change for the Journeys occurred in 2007 model year. We were looking at both 2006 and 2007 Journeys at the time we bought ours new and really didn't care one way or another where the info center was located. Now we know that it was a good thing that we have the integrated info center inside the instrument cluster in our '07 Meridian. Since we both drive the coach and are former bus drivers, we appreciate having that info center where we can see it easily.

Your solution sounds like a winner, doorguy. DH and I were thinking if we had the separate module as you do, we would be tempted to pull it out of its present position, put it in a separate housing somehow and mount it on top of the dash.

We did talk to a guy the other day who owned a older Newmar coach who plans to install a SilverLeaf unit that overlays the backup camera display ...click here for photo example, called a VMS 330

However, it sounds as if you've come up with a much better solution without speding a lot of money. Kudos to you!
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Here's some info on an improved Info Center from the Freightliner Chassis Owner's Club website: Info Center Display . This is a much improved version that is very easy to read.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Gang,
Well folks, some thing's amiss here. I'm assuming we're all talking about the information that appears on the screen of the backup camera, correct? And, I'm assuming that, that screen is in the same place on our '04 Itasca Horizon as it is in at least some of your models. Now, and there's certainly no pun intended here, as I "see" it, it appears to be very clear, bright enough and, at a correct viewing angle from my driving position.

And, as I'm sure all of you are aware of, you can change the style of appearance on the screen to suit your satisfaction. This of course, is assuming I'm talking about what you're all talking about. I went to Chris's link and it appears we're all on the same page. My personal preference is the info on the engine temp, trans temp, turbo pressure etc. Other than that, I normally keep the screen clear so I have a good view of what's going on back there, especially since I carry an 850 lb motorcycle on the rear of this coach.

Based on the responses to this thread so far, it appears the OP is not the only one who's having a viewing issue. For some reason, I guess I can see mine just fine. Am I on the same page as you all?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorguy View Post
Our 04 Journey has the info center located above the radio and next to the temperature/compass unit. I found that with my sunglasses on, it is very hard to read the info at the angle it is mounted. I like to keep it on the engine/rpm/gear screen so I know what gear I am in at any given time. I tried various external lighting options but that became a PIA and cumbersome, so today I removed the dash cover, the backup camera, the mounting brackets below the camera to access the info center. There are two screws that hold it in place in the cutout it is in. I removed the screws and the info center and repositioned it so that the bottom of the info center sticks out about 5/8" with the top being flush. I slid the unit down a tad so the bottom of it rest against the outside of the hole(hence the 5/8" gap). I had to get some longer screws(8-32, 1-3/8") and use a few washers but I rescrewed it back with the bottom sticking out that 5/8".

I did turn on the ignition and it appears to be a much better angle for getting a quick view of that stats. I will not get the chance to drive it till next week, so I will post an update on the road worthiness of this mod.
Seems to me that it's the sunglasses! I can't see my screen on the cell phone with them on and I can rotate that at will.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I wear contacts but need some additional correction to see the dash clearly so I got prescription bifocal sunglasses.
Then I could see the dash clearly but the digital display was hard to read because of the sunglasses. The solution was to have the tint removed over the bifocal part. Now I can see the dash and since it is low the sun doesn't bother me.

Pearle Vision made the sunglasses for me. They tape mask the glasses and soak the bottom part in a solution that removes the tint in that area.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

If you can read the display without sunglasses, and not with the sunglasses, it may be due to the fact that the sunglasses are polarized. The type of screen used in many displays, radios, phones, etc cannot be easily seen with polarized sunglasses at certain angles. Not sure of a good solution other than using non-polarized glasses; just something I have experienced...
Old 05-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautkamper View Post
If you can read the display without sunglasses, and not with the sunglasses, it may be due to the fact that the sunglasses are polarized. The type of screen used in many displays, radios, phones, etc cannot be easily seen with polarized sunglasses at certain angles. Not sure of a good solution other than using non-polarized glasses; just something I have experienced...
Good point.
I had that problem with gas pump displays and either my Scangauge or PressurePro display - can't remember which. I made sure my prescription sunglasses were non-polarized for that reason.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:30 PM   #10

I guess this was discussed several years ago in several owners' clubs that use the Freightliner chassis. John Canfield did have a write-up on it on his website that Medallion Instrumentation did come out with a new easier-to-read unit that can be easily retrofitted.

Click here

Again, it was definitely in 2007 model year that Freightliner started to integrate the info center in the instrument cluster as we have a 2007 that has the display immediate above the speedometer and tach and the toggle to the different displays is located on the panel just below the drivers' window near the mirror adjustment. The 2006 Journeys and Meridians (and other models that use the Freightliner chassis) have the info display in a separate module just above the dash radio.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Gang,
Well folks, some thing's amiss here. I'm assuming we're all talking about the information that appears on the screen of the backup camera, correct? And, I'm assuming that, that screen is in the same place on our '04 Itasca Horizon as it is in at least some of your models. Now, and there's certainly no pun intended here, as I "see" it, it appears to be very clear, bright enough and, at a correct viewing angle from my driving position.

And, as I'm sure all of you are aware of, you can change the style of appearance on the screen to suit your satisfaction. This of course, is assuming I'm talking about what you're all talking about. I went to Chris's link and it appears we're all on the same page. My personal preference is the info on the engine temp, trans temp, turbo pressure etc. Other than that, I normally keep the screen clear so I have a good view of what's going on back there, especially since I carry an 850 lb motorcycle on the rear of this coach.

Based on the responses to this thread so far, it appears the OP is not the only one who's having a viewing issue. For some reason, I guess I can see mine just fine. Am I on the same page as you all?
Scott
Scott, you're talking about the TripTek info which is displayed on the backup monitor. This thread is talking about the Freightliner Info display, which should be to the left of and about level with the radio on your dash.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krautkamper View Post
If you can read the display without sunglasses, and not with the sunglasses, it may be due to the fact that the sunglasses are polarized. ...
DING DING DING. Folks, I think we have a winner. I have had to get some non-polarized sun glasses fer that reason.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Chris,
As usual, I screwed up. I was thinking of a completely different screen. I use that screen you are all talking about but, like what's come out as an answer, I realized that it's my sunglasses that have an effect on how things are presented on an LCD screen. Yes, it happens to me daily on gas pump screens and other devices. I don't remember having too much of an issue reading what comes out on there but, it's probably when I remove the sunglasses that I can read it and just don't pay attention to the fact that I just removed them. It's kind of natural now when reading many of those screens.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have polarized prescription glasses and they don't solve the problem. It's the angle they mounted the instrument at.
OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Doorguy,
If you have the original info center with the black on green display you need to order the replacement display Chris pointed out.

The original display had too little contrast and poor viewing angles considering where it is mounted. The newer display is black on light grey and has wider viewing angles.

I have made the change and find it very readable with polarized sunglasses.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote