Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can't get my slide to come back in

I'm sitting in a parking lot post-tailgating and trying to get out of here, but my slide won't come in! We've been having problems with our house batteries not getting charged. We came back to our Intent 29L after the game and found we had no lights and couldn't get our generator started. We did get the engine started. We're able to raise the leveling jacks, but we can't get the slide to come in (nor, incidentally, does the loft bed move down.)

We got someone to jump the house batteries and we at least now have lights and the generator is running. But still no action on the slide. I push the button and nothing happens. It's like the motor isn't getting any electricity but I can't find any kind of circuit breaker or fuse.

Any ideas???
Fritos55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I would check the battery or give it time to charge up. The slide motor takes a lot of power to wok properly.
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:45 AM   #3
Veteran RV Owner

Parking Brake set? Slides may not move until it is set.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
I would check the battery or give it time to charge up. The slide motor takes a lot of power to wok properly.
Thanks for that suggestion. It could easily be that there's a low voltage threshold on the slide (and loft bed) motor(s). I'm getting absolutely nothing when I push those switches.

I'm going to try charging the house batteries for a couple hours with a battery charger and see what happens.

Ultimately, I need to figure out why none of the 3 systems (shore power, generator or engine alternator) are charging the house batteries. But first I need to get the slide back in so I can at least go somewhere. :-)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis59 View Post
Parking Brake set? Slides may not move until it is set.
Thanks. Good point, but yes - parking brake is set. I'll keep trying things
Old 09-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If the battery charging doesn't do the trick, you might take the park brake off and re-set it.
Stan
Old 09-08-2019, 04:31 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm not sure how old your house batteries are but they may not take enough charge to get the slides working as we found out. I have mentioned this others, I replace my house batteries every 2 years, and have not had an electrical problem since. I buy the $90 Walmart RV batteries.
Santee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #8
Texas Bush Pilot

I had a similar problem in Illinois last month, 2005 Voyage. Grandson-in-law and I found the cranks, couldn’t find any place to insert them to crank.

By chance I spotted a switch just inside the door, “Aux Power” or some such. I turned it on and the slide came in just fine. Dunno who or why turned it off.
Jefird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:39 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritos55 View Post
I'm sitting in a parking lot post-tailgating and trying to get out of here, but my slide won't come in! We've been having problems with our house batteries not getting charged. We came back to our Intent 29L after the game and found we had no lights and couldn't get our generator started. We did get the engine started. We're able to raise the leveling jacks, but we can't get the slide to come in (nor, incidentally, does the loft bed move down.)

We got someone to jump the house batteries and we at least now have lights and the generator is running. But still no action on the slide. I push the button and nothing happens. It's like the motor isn't getting any electricity but I can't find any kind of circuit breaker or fuse.

Any ideas???
Our 2014 Adventurer manual says to run the engine when moving slides or jacks. Manual also tells how to manually retract slides. Alternatively, a mobile RV tech might help.
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Double check your parking brake. Are your jacks up? You may need them down again to level up the coach. With the engine running does the slide move now? If not loosen the control switch from the wall and pull it out a few inches. There should be a button on the side of the electrics that will do a reset. Press it and try to move the slide again. If this doesn’t work press the in and out buttons at the same time. If this works continue to press the in then the out buttons and walk the slide in. Don’t hold either button to long or things will get cockeyed. Whenever I’m setting up or leaving I have my engine running when I’m putting the jacks up/ down and the slides in/out.
br1896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Remove and clean the terminals; check fluid levels, be sure your dual battery switch is in the proper position (not sure if the Intent has one); when 'off', electrical to system is disabled. If you have 'deep cycle/marine' 12v batteries, they don't perform well if they've been drawn down too many times. On our 2008 29R, slides are powered from the chassis battery, not house batteries...engine should be running when slide motors are engaged.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:58 PM   #12
2108DS Gray Goose

when you get this all sorted out, I would recommend that you check the wiring of your batteries. If you have two batteries like I did, and they are wired in parallel make sure that the house is getting the positive off of one battery and the negative off the other battery. This will make them both last much longer. My setup was such that although I had two batteries wired in parallel, the house was getting its juice only from primarily one battery. If it gets them from both evenly it makes them both last much longer
gretnagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Power Relay

You've probably solved this by now, but here goes anyway.

Most all motorhomes have a power relay in the basement electrical compartment, that switches from gen power or to shore power for your coach and battery charging. These relays have been troublesome with many RVers. It sounds like you are not getting any charge to your batteries and I would check that first. If you're not good with a voltmeter, get someone who is. You need to get those batteries charging, if they are not.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #14
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

You could hand crank them in if not hydrolic. I don’t know what your unit has but our sight 29r has tools stored in two locations. One set of tools for an interior bedroom location and another for an outside front room slide. It might be enough to get you out of the parking lot.

If they are hydronic......... sorry
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #15
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Just another case for lithium batteries. You most likely stepped down your batteries to where they are virtually useless. Partial charging is very damaging to lead acid batteries. It takes hours to tevover completely recover from relatively small discharges and about 24 hours of charging to recover from a 50% discharge, the maximum recommended. Also, the cheap LED battery monitor panel that is standard equipment on many RVs is also inadequate to tell you the true state of your batteries. You can choose to have issues like tjhis every so often snd replace your coach batteries every 2 years or bite the bullet and get a real battery monitor and lithium batteries, which do not suffer from partial charges and can be dischargef to 20% SOC instead of 50% without harm and last 2 to 5 times longer than lead acid batteries. Eventually people will learn and finally get off the lead-acid merry-go-round.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I don't know what model RV you have, but in my old 2003 and my current RV, there is a battery boost button on the dash that will tie the chassis to the coach batteries. Usually used to help start the engine, but will work both ways to help with slides.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:21 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

Hey Fritos - Hope you have not been stuck in that parking lot for over a week now. Please let us know what the problem turned out to be.

For many its the tripping of the 50 amp reset between the house batteries and the inverter/charger and the rest of the house wiring while for others it can simply be that someone accidentally kicked the master disconnect switch that cuts off power from the batteries to the house circuits. On some coaches this black paddle switch is near the floor in the step well.

In your owners manual there should be a section on how to manually bring the slides in and if any tools are required Winnebago usually includes them with the coach along with all the manuals.

Tags
slide