Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2012, 11:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can you start coach to re-level while on shore power?

Been in FL for six weeks with our Itasca 2004 Suncruiser and need to re-level the coach. Can I start the engine to accomplish that while still plugged into shore power? If so, should I turn off air and everything else prior to starting the engine?

Your advise, as always is very much appreciated!
Jewelsinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

In my coach there is no need to start the engine to re-level. I just turn on the ignition key to get power. If for some reason you need to stsart it up than it's OK witj it plugged into shore power. I always dump air before leveling, and pump up air before releasing the levelers just to keep it from falling on the frame. But you can raise the levelers without air.

Dick
Old 03-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

If you are going to restart the engine (and with ours the manual recommends engine running when leveling), make certain that there are no stabilizers or anything under steps when they close or keep the door open so that they stay out. Other than that we do not turn anything off. In fact, unplugging and storing the shore power cord is the last thing we do before putting the mh in gear to leave a campground, right after we turn the generator on (we do turn the AC off when genny is starting and then back on when it is running). Not sure if that is the right way, but it works for us.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

On my GT, turning the ignition on triggers the "Raise All" command to the jacks, so you can't try to drive off with them down. They only work on house DC power.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #5

My leveling system is disabled when the key is in the ignition
Bee950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
KJD
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2005 Suncruiser and if I need to relevel all I do is put the ignition on acc. and relevel without starting the engine.
KJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Well, in my 06 Surf Side, with Power Gear electric levelers you have to have the engine running to use the jacks, AND, you have to have the engine running to put the slides out. Only thing I can think of is they did that to avoid killing batteries.
My 01 Gulfstream with HWH hydraulic levelers required the key to be on, and the slide worked without the key at all.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
I have a 2005 Suncruiser and if I need to relevel all I do is put the ignition on acc. and relevel without starting the engine.
Ditto the above.......

With gas engines on a Winnebago there is no need to start the engine to re-level.

I never have seen a need to have the engine running when I level. When I am positioned where I want to be in the campsite I turn off the engine, put the key in the ACC position, push the ON pad on the HWH control panel and level as necessary.

Just remember to turn off the ignition when done.

FJF
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback. Sounds like accessory is the way to go. I will do this in the am. Again, appreciate everyone's advise and thank you!
Jewelsinmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

It depends on how you level.. and a few other things but the short answer is :YES. You can, no problem at all, none, zip. Nada.

The longer answer.... If you have a decent converter AND a Bi-Directional isolator (Charges chassis battery with shore power) (I have a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard and the proper isolator) THEN there is no need to start, I can do it in the "Accessory" position.

I"d say any converter of 50 amps or more should be "Good enough"

Magnetek 6300 series,, NOT good enough.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I would check your Winnebago manual. Most models say to have the engine running when operating the slides or the levelers. Mine does.
Other manufacturers may differ but I would follow the manual.

And yes you can run the engine while connected to shore power.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Although I am not sure of the answer, I believe that I would want the slides in before releveling.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Seeing as you have a 2004 Suncruiser, I doubt that you are charging your chassis battery when plugged into shore power. (unless you have installed a Trik-L-Start unit or something like it.) Your Jacks and Slides probably work off your chassis batteries. You can relevel off the acc if your chassis battery is up to snuff but I would check my chassis battery voltage at the One-Place before leveling. Should be at 12.6 or above if it's fully charged, not below 12.0. If you find the battery to be low then you can start the engine to recharge or hook up a battery charger. I hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Bbbeebop hit the nail on the head as my dealer described it. Running the engine while leveling or adjusting the slides is needed so you don't drain the battery and so that the slide/levelers have full power when operating. I've run our Sightseer landing gear and slides while plugged in without any problems.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #15
IC2
Winnebago Camper

Uhhh as a 5er owner maybe I'm missing something (usually) but most times in a CG power comes from a pylon with several amp outlets that you plug into when you set up. Why, if there is ANY doubt, don't you walk to that pylon, open the cover, grab the plug, remove it from the power source, disconnecting your coach, walk back, start the engine and do your leveling. When done - reverse your steps
Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

I've not had to start ours to re-level. Turn the key on, turn on level system, level and then turn key back off. Job Done!
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Our 2000 Adventurer has "Battery Boost" rocker switch right above the leveling control center. If the chassis battery is weak I push this switch and get a jump from the house batteries.
Marriage is a relationship in which one is always right and the other is the husband
new2RVn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

If all you are doing is relevelling, you won't be running the pumps enough to worry about draining the battery.
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:51 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Not good for your batteries to allow them to get that low, could be causing a problem later down the road. Keep them above 12.0 volts. A Trik-L-Start installed will maintain them at 12.7 - 13.1.

Tags
power