Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
FDC
Winnebago Camper

Can I add a portable Propane tank inline.

I will be doing extended stays from Spring to fall in one location and I was wondering if I can add a small Propane tank inline so I don't have to drive the the Motor Home from it's resting place to have the Propane filled. I am new to the class A world so bear with me on this if it seem's like a simple stupid question. Your thoughts and insights are greatly appreciated.
FDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Try this-Camping world had a number of models
Stay A While Deluxe - Mr. Heater F273734 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
You can connect any size bottle of propane and only have to take the bottles for refill
Good Luck
Larry
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry & Rita
Try this-Camping world had a number of models
Stay A While Deluxe - Mr. Heater F273734 - Propane Hoses and Adapters - Camping World
You can connect any size bottle of propane and only have to take the bottles for refill
Good Luck
Larry
Big ditto on this! I got the one with the extra line for my gas grill. I carry and extra 20lb bottle, spend several months in Fl and never have to break camp to get propane
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I use a Marshall Brass Extend-a-stay for my Class A.. Basically the same thing as the Mr. Heater product, which From looking at it, appears to be a copy of the Marshall Brass product. (At the very least based upon it).

I also got a 2nd 10' hose for the grill so I can be up to 20 feet out.

Have used the portable bottle twice. Once because of a funny story.. On arrival at the park, knowing there was not much in the tank, I tried to get a refill (Works best if I do it on the way in here) Technician could not get gas to go into the tank.. Naturally, he had snagged the emergency cut off cable and shut his pump valve off. Senior maintenance man figured it out before I left but I ran 2 nights on a 5 pounder that week.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Our previous DSDP had a propane generator. I put on an Extend A Stay before we went to an FMCA rally. Used two 15 gallon tanks and most of the 40 (32 usable) gallon main tank in 5 days. Still have the 15 gallon tank in the shed but with a diesel gen set I only need to fill the main propane tank ever couple years or so.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Extend-a-stay

Spent five months in West Yellowstone last Summer....same as you, we did not want to have to move the coach every time we needed propane (ran the furnace almost every morning except for 2 weeks in July) so I installed Extend-A-Stay before we left. Worked flawlessly. This summer camping in north Pennsylvania we don't need heat but we got the additional hose to run a grill. This is a great product
Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
FDC
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all very, very much. Now my last question on this topic. At what stage in line do you install this? I mean will it be on the line coming from the tank into the coach? Is it a pretty straight forward install?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

at many parks propane trucks deliver once in awile. are you sure that will not be your case. plus that if you have an electric water heater one tank of propane last a long time. also do not forget to exercise your gen set if are in one place with hook-ups for a long stay.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDC View Post
Thank you all very, very much. Now my last question on this topic. At what stage in line do you install this? I mean will it be on the line coming from the tank into the coach? Is it a pretty straight forward install?
Follow the instruction that comes with it. You might have to move some things around but its fairly simple if you are a handyman type. Remember many propane fittings are LEFT hand threads. If you'r not comfortable, have your RV store do it for you. The Marshal and Mr. heater are the same thing; just different packaging.
bjsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
FDC
Winnebago Camper

I found a video online. Very simple. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Tags
propane, tank