Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Cabinet Veneer Tape Peeling Off!

I noticed on our last trip that a piece of veneer tape is coming unglued on the wood trim at the top of the bedroom wardrobe. I didn't find any signs of a water leak or cause. I'm curious of excessive heat caused this. Should I attempt to re-glue it back on? If so, what should I use? I have some spray 3M adhesive and also have some in a can that 8 can brush on. Or should I contact Winnebago to have a replacement strip sent to me?
Lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 02:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I had a piece of tape that was coming loose. Ours had a sticky back and was able to take a cloth and press and rub it hard and it has stayed. I just think they didn't push hard enough for it to stick when it was installed.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

If its real wood then it was usually put on with hot glue using an edge banding machine however if its plastic then its most often contact paper of sorts. In the shop where we made these types of panels we would use brush on Super Glue to fix areas where the glue was a bit thin on either type of banding.

Here is an example of some I purchased at Home Depot:

Old 10-08-2017, 08:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Neil - Yep, it's the contact paper type of veneer so I will try brushing on the glue. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Matching tape needed

I had to replace my shower faucet, To get to it I had to remove the wall panel in the bedroom. Now the seam between the mating panels is unfinished and I can't seem to find a source for this tape. The RV dealers want to sell me a large roll of this stuff for $150, Any help is appreciated.

Rick Y
Old 10-09-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Call Winnebago for assistance and they will tell you the correct part number to order to get just the length that you need. If you tell them the name of the dealer they may call them directly and inform them of their error.

Lazydays in Sefner Florida told me the Providence Oak was not available due to the age of my Adventurer however Winnebago gave me the correct part number for them to order and told me that almost all cabinet parts are in their computer cad program and can be replicated in an exact match or a very close match if the exact material is no longer available. Just be nice when you call Winnebago and most of their folks will go out of their way to assist you.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Call Winnebago for assistance and they will tell you the correct part number to order to get just the length that you need. If you tell them the name of the dealer they may call them directly and inform them of their error.

Lazydays in Sefner Florida told me the Providence Oak was not available due to the age of my Adventurer however Winnebago gave me the correct part number for them to order and told me that almost all cabinet parts are in their computer cad program and can be replicated in an exact match or a very close match if the exact material is no longer available. Just be nice when you call Winnebago and most of their folks will go out of their way to assist you.
Thank you for this suggestion, Neil. I think I did that some time back. Lichtsinn RV in Forest City is who I contacted. They only had information and pricing for a roll at some ridiculous price and the roll would do many more seams than are in this coach. I may call the factory and see if their store can help.

I wanted a single handle shower. The one I installed is still a surface mount but to get to the back of the shower I had to remove a wall panel. It is that seam I need the tape for.

Rick Y
Old 10-15-2017, 07:31 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Rick - Lichtsinn RV in Forest City is usually pretty good however they are not Winnebago. You need to talk to a rep from Winnebago themselves and not just a salesperson at a distant dealership.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Rick - Lichtsinn RV in Forest City is usually pretty good however they are not Winnebago. You need to talk to a rep from Winnebago themselves and not just a salesperson at a distant dealership.
Thanks Neil. It was the parts counter I talked to last year. Winnebago has a "new" parts policy and we can now get parts through them. I have not tried this rout yet and will when I have the time. I am in WA so I am a bit out of sync with their time zone. My volunteer hours are interfering. Next week I may have a better opportunity to learn how to work the process of the call. Not a patient man with phone prompts. Will post the results.

Rick Y
Old 10-18-2017, 11:15 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

When you talk to an advisor at Winnebago they will be able to tell you exactly what is available for your coach. The phone wait may be a bear but you do get the info from the horses mouth and they will tear into a dealer who leads you astray or tries to profiteer off of you.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
When you talk to an advisor at Winnebago they will be able to tell you exactly what is available for your coach. The phone wait may be a bear but you do get the info from the horses mouth and they will tear into a dealer who leads you astray or tries to profiteer off of you.
Winnebago customer support is not what it used to be. Years ago you could get quality help. Now you simply get help and quality, like the new products, is a hit or miss event.

Thanks again.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Rick, OP here. I can't compare to how Winnebago was in the past but in the short time that I have owned this RV, Winnebago service and parts dept. has been very good. I haven't called them about the veneer yet but will do so if I can't glue it back. I have called them for two parts. One was an end cap to the track for the electric bunk by the front cab. I didn't have a part number or picture. Nor could I find it in the parts catalog. The rep twice immediately (while I was on the phone with her) sent me pics of what she thought was the part until we got it right. The other was for an assist grab rail. Again, I had no part number as I saw it in a picture on the website. The reps went beyond what I expected to assist me and the shipping was quick and reasonable. I have owned three Forest River products and had a difficult time getting them to a person on the phone, let alone assist me. Then they wanted me to go through the dealers.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:23 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Update to my original post. We lowered the overhead bunk bed on our last trip and found the vinyl stick-on veneer peeling off across the entire overhead cabinet! This is in addition to the spot above the bedroom wardrobe. I hope that this doesn't become more extensive in the RV with time. The RV only has 6000 miles on it and I am the second owner with no mfr. warranty. Is anyone else having this issue?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakejumper View Post
Update to my original post. We lowered the overhead bunk bed on our last trip and found the vinyl stick-on veneer peeling off across the entire overhead cabinet! This is in addition to the spot above the bedroom wardrobe. I hope that this doesn't become more extensive in the RV with time. The RV only has 6000 miles on it and I am the second owner with no mfr. warranty. Is anyone else having this issue?
Build them cheaper. Charge them more.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Yep, it's disappointing to find this other larger area.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yes-alot of the inside corners seem to come loose, also the panel above bathroom mirror is bubbling. My Sunova of same year came without that track cap also.
chickenman05 is offline   Reply With Quote