Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
doc
Winnebago Owner

Couldn't find it in the search thing. Like many Winnie owners I have a problem with the plastic mounts on a drawer slide in one of the base cabinets. It apparently has just gotten old and popped.
You guys that have replaced them, what did you replace with? (Winnebago product or somethng from Lowes or Home Depot) I worry aobut the latter, because I will need to find one with a lock to keep it from sliding open when we make a corner.
Any and all information appreciated.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #2
doc
Winnebago Owner

Couldn't find it in the search thing. Like many Winnie owners I have a problem with the plastic mounts on a drawer slide in one of the base cabinets. It apparently has just gotten old and popped.
You guys that have replaced them, what did you replace with? (Winnebago product or somethng from Lowes or Home Depot) I worry aobut the latter, because I will need to find one with a lock to keep it from sliding open when we make a corner.
Any and all information appreciated.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Not clear if you are talking about drawer slides (metal in my coach) or latches (plastic in my coach). I have replaced several of the latches ...they do not respond well to having clothing caught in them . I replaced them with Winnebago latches ...and you can get different "pull strength" latches. I got the highest strength I could get, and put two on a couple of the larger/heavier drawers to help keep them shut while underway.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I had problems with all the slides in the bedroom. Called my dealer and they sent me new slides that they put in the kitchen. Since replacing no problems. The kitchens are stronger than the bedroom area. Winne knows of this problem. Make enough noise and they will fix. I had them send them to me and I replaced myself.

03 Adventurer 35-U
Titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:00 PM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

I agree with Paul....on the '04 Journey I had to rebuild a bedroom drawer as it sailed out of the dresser and crashed on the floor....Guess we had that one too full!
I opted for the mac-daddy ones from Winnebago.

After a little and a little I got it back together....had to glue a piece on the bottom as it split the drawer bottom...Never heard anything about it failing anymore from my brother so I guess it's ok.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:18 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

I had several of the plastic gizmo's that hold the rear of the drawer glides break. I could not find replacements at Lowe's, HD, local hardware stores or Woodmaster. I did call Winne and asked if they would send me a few no charge since it was obvious they were not entirely adequate ...they said no, out of warranty.

So, I took the advice of another IRV2 poster and drilled a 3/16" hole through the side of the plastic gizmo, and put a pop rivet through the glide and that hole. Haven't had a problem since.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I have found the plastic pieces at the home depot store in where the replacment parts are for their drawers. They fit like original replacment parts from winnebago, and at a fraction of the cost!
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:14 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

We had this same problem wit hour 1999 Minnie Winnie. Would not cover them after out of warranty. I replaced the whole drawer slide with ones from Home Depot and properly suppported the rear of them.

After all these years, winnie still has not seen they have a problem.

ken
Old 02-28-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I have a 03 Horizon and I installed a set of drawers in the washing machine cabinet. I purchased the drawer slides and associated parts at Lowes. The drawer slides I installed are the same height as the factory installed slides. The plastic brackets I purchased at Lowes will replace the factory installed brackets. This may not work in all other years but should take care of many models.
Navy Flier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:14 PM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Full extension for 2006....just came across this and figured I'd share it.

rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 05:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

On my 95 Vectra the plastic rear mounts for the drawer slides are dying due to age. As they fail I replace them with the ones available at Lowes or Home Depot. Just remember that there may be two or three different duty ratings available and you have to pick the ones that match the size of your existing slide rails. If you strike out at the hardware store a trip to a local RV Dealers parts department will be required along with a bit of extra cash.

The original ones are usually self aligning which saves time adjusting drawer slides during assembly but they are more prone to wear and breakage.

Regards,

Neil
Old 03-01-2006, 12:32 PM   #12
doc
Winnebago Owner

I had an early trip this AM and was able to spend some time this PM working on the MH. I took the slide off one side of the drawer and went to a Home Depot about 10 miles from home.

While looking, measuring and comparing, I spotted some brackets very similar to those broken ones on the drawer. They are plastic, but they slid over the end of the rail exactly right. I bought two sets in case there is a failure in another drawer. Took about 45 minutes to install since I was using a level to get them right and then realized that the coach was not level and the drawer would be going down hill when I closed it. (That 'part-timers' disease kicking in??)

Any how, the slides are repaired and work great, the new brackets and a spare set cost me $3 bucks and some change. I certainly cannot complain about that. Brackets are made in China, but felt stronger than original equipment.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:52 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by doc:
I had an early trip this AM and was able to spend some time this PM working on the MH. I took the slide off one side of the drawer and went to a Home Depot about 10 miles from home.

While looking, measuring and comparing, I spotted some brackets very similar to those broken ones on the drawer. They are plastic, but they slid over the end of the rail exactly right. I bought two sets in case there is a failure in another drawer. Took about 45 minutes to install since I was using a level to get them right and then realized that the coach was not level and the drawer would be going down hill when I closed it. (That 'part-timers' disease kicking in??)

Any how, the slides are repaired and work great, the new brackets and a spare set cost me $3 bucks and some change. I certainly cannot complain about that. Brackets are made in China, but felt stronger than original equipment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>now there you go, my repair exactly! Except I just used the original screw holes, no problem. PS everthing is made in China nowadays. PSS And it seems better than made in U.S.A. JMHO.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:56 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
Full extension for 2006....just came across this and figured I'd share it.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> If you follow the brackets at the bottom of the drawers back to where they attatch to the rear of the cabinet you will see the cheap plastic brackets that break off and need to be replaced. Home Depot, Lowes, etc.