Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

OK I'll ask the question on this forum. I have just been told, on another forum, that Cat does notrecommend the replacement of the OEM air filter with a K&N filter. When I look at where the filter is mounted on this Meridian and the airflow with the stock filter, a replacement is called for. I have seen discussion in the past but no real answers.

2012 Honda CRV / M&G Braking
bill jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

OK I'll ask the question on this forum. I have just been told, on another forum, that Cat does notrecommend the replacement of the OEM air filter with a K&N filter. When I look at where the filter is mounted on this Meridian and the airflow with the stock filter, a replacement is called for. I have seen discussion in the past but no real answers.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Bill, not sure what kind of answer your looking for but on that other forum you were told that Cat does NOT recommend K&N by probably the most knowlegable person on diesels in that forum.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:18 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Have been a Diesel mechanic all of my adult life. I guess I question why change the oem filter. If I did want to change to a K&N filter I would contact Cat and K&N and get the ok to use it in writeing. Not from a guy on the computer. My point of veiw is make sure now or you might be paying latter.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

After a lot of years hearing about how the user can ONLY use OEM filters,oil and whatever, I am finally asking questions. I know that CAT recommends the user buy their filter, but when we dig down into who supplies their filters (CAT does not make these filters) we find that many after market filters have the same spec's.
I guess the latest I am told is than no one makes a filter that allows more air flow with the same filteration. I think everyone will admit that the OEM filter has airflow problems.

To get myself even deeper, the cost is very high and the replacement of this puppy is maintenance intense. This is a great place for an aftermarket supplier to jump in. I mentioned K&N because I found their filter for the ford V10 was superior to the OEM filter and although ford did not recommend it, there are no warant. problems.

Now don't flame me, I asking realistic questions!

Old 11-02-2005, 01:39 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Hi bill j,
We had an 02 Journey and put 35,568 miles on it. The nice thing about that coach's air intake was how it was positioned way up high on the rear corner of the coach. Up in the clean air. I think your's is also. Lots of dirt roads and never had to change the air filter, the air drop gauge across the filter stayed below 15 inches of H2O pressure. (330 HP engine)

Now on our Horizon, the air intake is above the side radiator and seems to be in a position to pull in more dust (still on those dirt roads). Also, the drain hole in the bottom of the canister is supposed to have a rubber one way valve in it. Ours was missing (more dust). This prompted me to replace the filter at around 25,000 miles and to my surprise, the air drop remained the same with the new filter, 18 inches of H2O pressure. (350 HP engine)

I purchased the OEM filter at Freightliner (not a CAT or Freightliner product but ˜RACOR' P.N. ECO-BC) for around $95.00 and installed it myself. Not a hard job at all. The instructions that came with the filter talked about it not functioning at peak performance until it had been allowed to accumulate at least some dirt which improved its filtering properties. On the other hand, CAT does make the Oil and one of the Fuel filters and I'm happy sticking with the OEM on these two.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Good info Mark,
My measured air drop changed recently from 18 to 15. Don't think this is indicative of anything. I still have only 12K on the rig so maybe I should just sit on my hands for awhile and see. I have no intention to change oil or fuel filter types.

Old 11-05-2005, 02:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Yup, Cat would like to be your sole source of whatever they can sell you. I beleive they do make their own filters or most of them and they are proud of them. A good quality aftermarket is the way I go. Prefer WIX. Our company uses a lot of them so we get them at a great price. The only filter I can't cross is that darn 2 micron fuel filter so I get that from Freightliner. Warranty should not be an issue if you use the CORECT replacment from a reputable company. Don't just spin on what will fit, a lot more to it than that. I personally know that WIX stands behind their product. Was working for Cummins when they drug in a Dodge P/U with a failed Cummins 5.9. Seems a cooling jet had plugged causing a piston to overheat and fail. Analysis of the metal particle was done, not anything used by or in OEM Cummins. Turned out to originate from WIX who then stepped up to the plate and paid for the repair. Just one of those little things that sometimes happen. Everybody has a problem from time to time. How the problems are handles is what counts. I use WIX filters.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote