Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

On my venture from Ohio to Mt. Rushmore my low oil light came on. I only had about 1800 miles on it so I know it's not broken in yet but that seems like a lot of oil to burn in that short of time.

I have an 8.1 Votrex w/6 speed Allison trans. Anyone one else experience this? I also noticed oil around the exhaust pipes.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

On my venture from Ohio to Mt. Rushmore my low oil light came on. I only had about 1800 miles on it so I know it's not broken in yet but that seems like a lot of oil to burn in that short of time.

I have an 8.1 Votrex w/6 speed Allison trans. Anyone one else experience this? I also noticed oil around the exhaust pipes.

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

How low was it? Did you check the level before you left? Was was the pre-trip level?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Make sure you do not have a stuck PCV valve. It will suck oil out and foul the plugs. I would get it to WH as soon as possible.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 PM   #5

New motor breaking in and I see that you have a toad that you may have been towing; add some hills or mountains and I would expect you might burn a little. And if it wasn't exactly at the proper level before you started your trip, it might not have taken much to trigger the light. I would top it off and check it on a regular basis and establish if it is burning oil. I've run down to Los Angeles in my MH and seemed to burn a little oil, and yet on the same trip at other times I went down and back and didn't have to add a drop... who knows why...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 03:06 PM   #6

Another clarification question:

Did you mean "soot" around the exhaust pipes? or are you actually talking about "oil"?

Soot is perfectly normal on these engines' exhaust.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Honestly I forgot to check the level before I left ( bad on me ). The stuff on the exhaust is soot not oil. I'll keep a close eye on it.

yes I was towing and yes it was up and downhill. I guess what bothers me is that my Ford V10 never burned any oil - same terraine.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM   #8

Ok....Workhorse says it's perfectly "normal" to burn 1 quart per 100 gallons of gas.

I use Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic, and burn maybe 1/2 quart per 2,000 miles. Some others burn more, some less.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

TOM, i would top it off with cheap light weight dino oil. it will help seat the rings. don't put good oil, synthetic or para synthetic in it yet. is your pcv valve ok? if it doesn't improve in 3-5k miles, i would do a cylinder leakdown test. plz keep us posted. my 8.1 has 9k on it now. i got it with 7.8 on it with what appeared to be the original oil in it. it was a quart low then. it used less than .5 qt between 7.8-9k, so i installed amsoil 0w30 synthetic at 9k. it has 10k now and hasn't used any oil last 1k miles. i ran it really hard up grades, 3000-3500 rpm, and 75mph on the level for 350 of those miles. incidentally, thats the stretch that i got 5.95 mpg on, fill up to fill up. i ran the genny for 1hr also. imoh these engines do not inherently burn oil if nothing is the matter with them.
the workhorse chassis manual on page 48 has a discussion on what workhorse considers normal oil consumption. they state that a "good gm guideline is 1 qt oil per 100 gallons of fuel used." imoh that is bs. maybe you can find the wh manual on line. if not, pm me and i will copy the page and send it to you by fax or snail mail.
good luck, dan
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 07:21 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Well I can tell you this much - the engine has definetly been put through it's paces. Iwas in mountains all day yesterda - some 7 and 8% grades! Tried the "shortest route to yellowstone" and it was really the toughest too.

At times I was running around 4000RPM. Lots of crosswinds and all around tough ride - had to drive the whole day. I'm pooped!!
Old 07-10-2008, 06:59 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Tom - you asked if anyone else had this experience, and we did, almost identical. I have the Vortec 8.1, 6 spd Allison in the Sunrise 35L, so pretty similar. Took delivery with about 1700 miles on it (sent from Iowa to Oregon)and noticed during my next 1000-2000 miles that I was using a couple quarts of oil. Like you I had a Ford V10 before which used no oil to speak of. So I checked the WH manual and when I saw those "normal" numbers, I really freaked out. 1 qt of oil per 100 gallons of fuel?!! Not true, however, at least not for my rig, not even close. I've now logged 8,000 miles w/ only two quarts added, and it seems to be slowing down. It appears that the break-in period matters here. I'd be interested in hearing from you later with a few thousand more miles, but I think it's all working the way it's supposed to... We'll hope so anyway!!
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I just can't believe that Workhorse would basically tell you that you have to add 1 qt of oil for every tank of fuel, actually a little less but close. If mine used that much oil I would get rid of it asap. NO engine should use that much oil. The most mine has ever used is a little less than 1 qt between oil changes. At 30,000 miles it is using less.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Thanks to all of you! Let you know in about a week when I make the return trip.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:07 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I just can't believe that Workhorse would basically tell you that you have to add 1 qt of oil for every tank of fuel, actually a little less but close. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must be a new 2 cycle engine design. Pretty large chainsaw though.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:51 AM   #15
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Streamerman:
Must be a new 2 cycle engine design. Pretty large chainsaw though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> LOL
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

I used to use about a half quart or a little more every 3000. When we had a W-20 chassis. Depended where I was driving. In the hills and mountains or in the flad land country. Also how agressively I drove it.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I log about 1 qt./2000 in mountains and 1 qt./3000+ on the flat. Using anyone's good 5W30.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #18
Winnebago Watcher

My W22 uses just under a qt in 5000 miles. Each fall I leave New Hampshire and travel across the Rockies to visit my son. Then on to Florida, a trip of over 5000 miles. I have always added a qt at just over 4000 miles and the level is still just over full at 5000 miles (I also tow a Jeep Wrangler).

I use Mobil 10W-30. I really think 5W is too thin for a hard working engine, at least at any sort of normal temperature.

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

When the manufacturers went to low tension ring packages (reduced frictional/rotational losses)in an attempt to increase their CAFE ratings oil consumption increased. They then worked on reformulating oils (ILSAC ratings) because the ZDDP (wear additive) in the existing oils was contaminating the catalytic converters and increasing dangerous tailpipe emissions. Oil consumption and increased engine wear being the final outcome.
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:45 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by knebrdr:
When the manufacturers went to low tension ring packages (reduced frictional/rotational losses)in an attempt to increase their CAFE ratings oil consumption increased. They then worked on reformulating oils (ILSAC ratings) because the ZDDP (wear additive) in the existing oils was contaminating the catalytic converters and increasing dangerous tailpipe emissions. Oil consumption and increased engine wear being the final outcome.
Randy </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Randy,

Is the situation you refer to above only with respect to certain 8.1 engines? It is an interesting explaination.

Other than here, with respect to the 8.1 engine, I am not hearing folks complaining about all of their engines burning oil. My 8.1 doesn't burn oil. None of my cars or Jeep burn oil. Is the problem you refer to above only with respect to certain 8.1 engines?

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote