Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #21
iRV2 Marketing

In 1378.9 miles my engine has "consumed" (not burned) approximately 10.3 ounces of oil. I can deal with that! I see this as being hypo-normal and I am pleased with this performance.

My Blackstone Labs narritive reads as follows:

"MIKE: Our universal averages show typical wear from the GM 8.1L V-8 after a 4,000-mile oil run. At that mileage mark, iron, from steel parts, typically reads 14 ppm. The iron in your oil read at 19 ppm so we're guessing this oil was in use around ~5,000 miles. Most of the wear metals we found in this 10W/30 oil read right around averages. Copper, from brass/bronze parts like bushings or an oil cooler was above average but not cautionary. Air and oil filtration (see silicon and insolubles) were normal and no contaminants were present in the sample. Check back in ~4,000 miles."

Total mileage showing at this time: 69,167.2
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

Photog,
This is industry wide and started about about 10 years ago. Ilsac rated oils are all of the 5-?, 10- ? weight oils. Search ILSAC oils and read away. There are numerous articles posted online along with who decided on the Ilsac system (car manufacturers). The bottom line is it all started when the CAFE ratings were first developed and the ensuing penalties/taxes for not reaching the required standards were instituted.
As per your question about varying oiil consumption: some burn oil because of being loose spec engines, some burn oil because of driving style and terrain, and others do not burn a drop.
Also, there are situations where if you run a non Ilsac oil, say a 15-40 diesel oil (my preference), sporadic or rpm related hydraulic lifter rattle will develop because the lifters are so tightly clearanced between the body and piston that the lifter can not bleed itself (retains some air).
Randy
knebrdr is offline   Reply With Quote