Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a spot in my bathroom where the vinyl flooring is buckling slightly and becoming unglued.

I've tried to hammer it down and it will stay in place for a few days but then seems to come unglued again.

I guess the solution is to pull it up a little more and put some better glue under it.

Has anybody run into this situation and what did you do?

Thanks.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a spot in my bathroom where the vinyl flooring is buckling slightly and becoming unglued.

I've tried to hammer it down and it will stay in place for a few days but then seems to come unglued again.

I guess the solution is to pull it up a little more and put some better glue under it.

Thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I've got a similar problem in my kitchen, I took a pastry roller and rolled the "bubble" to the edge and tried gluing it. But it hasn't helped. It seems worse when it it is colder and better when things are warm. If folks have any, I'm interested in other solutions.
Indy Itasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by scirocco22:

Thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In a home or apartment I would normally us a wet cloth and a steam iron to soften the old adhesive and get the vinyl back down however the subfloor in an RV is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick luan over a 1 inch thick foam core and you could delaminate the luan from the foam with too much pounding or heat.

If it is just a real small spot in the vinyl and not the subfloor then slit the bubble and reglue and then put seam sealer (this is a most important part of the repair) over the slit to prevent water etc from getting into the repair. If it is close to a corner or a large area then peal it back to the corner/wall and reglue.

The materials to do this should be available at any good vinyl flooring dealer.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #5

Winnebago doesn't glue the vinyl flooring down. It's only stapled at the edges.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the responses!

FrontRanger, there was some sticky stuff underneath where mine was popping out. I could see and feel it. Maybe it's glued at the seams and that's where it is coming up?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:09 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NeilV:

In a home or apartment I would normally us a wet cloth and a steam iron to soften the old adhesive and get the vinyl back down however the subfloor in an RV is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick luan over a 1 inch thick foam core and you could delaminate the luan from the foam with too much pounding or heat.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you check your floor vents you will find that there is regular plywood - at least 5/8 inch thick as I recall - over the foam.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a similar problem in the dinette area with loose vinyl tiles. I tried to repair the area by placing something heavy on the tiles for a few days but the tiles came loose again. Had it repaired under warranty. The dealer said the vinyl tiles were not fitted and glued in correctly.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had the same problem in front of the shower and had it fixed under warranty a few months back. It is now coming loose again and the DW is fed up and wants to install some other flooring (maybe wood?). Any ideas?

Retired Navy (ETCS/SW/AW)
Carnles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 01:41 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

On a 03 39QD, the tile at the bottom of the one place wall kept coming loose. Do NOT depend on the original glue, use regular tile cement.
The wall was finally resecured and the trim reinstalled and that seemed to take care of the problem. See if the buckeling is near a moving or vibrating section. Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #11

Not sure if you are talking about vinyl flooring or vinyl tile.

Winnebago doesn't glue down vinyl flooring, but does use the peel and stick vinyl tile.

If you are having bubbling problems with vinyl flooring, you need to drill a VERY SMALL hole and inject some glue and then place heavy books on it.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote