Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2006 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35U with left center livingroom slide..two double panel windows. While driving at 60 mph, I had a 18 wheeler pass me at about 70 mph. Just after he cleared my rig... I heard a loud pop-bang in the living room slide area. Further inspection showed one of the fixed (non open)windows had completely shattered in the outer pane only. One area about the size and shape of a dime...was missing from the center of the shatter point on the outer pane. There was absolutely no sign of impact or damage to the same point on the inner pane. Seems highly suspicious to me..especially with no sign of impact damage to the inner pane.

Questions: Has anyone else experienced similar window damage? Could it have been a pressure stress break ...or side impact of small object from passing truck?

What about repairs to this window? Should I expect a replacement of the entire double window insert frame or just the shatterered fixed window ..double pane window?

I have placed a 3" metal duct type tape patch over the dime sized point on the spider shattered broken outer panel....It seems to have held shattered panel OK for the remaining 50 miles. I hope to delay final glass repair of the window until trip completion later this month.

Ideas..similar observations?

Thanks,
Pubtym
Old 11-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have the 2006 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35U with left center livingroom slide..two double panel windows. While driving at 60 mph, I had a 18 wheeler pass me at about 70 mph. Just after he cleared my rig... I heard a loud pop-bang in the living room slide area. Further inspection showed one of the fixed (non open)windows had completely shattered in the outer pane only. One area about the size and shape of a dime...was missing from the center of the shatter point on the outer pane. There was absolutely no sign of impact or damage to the same point on the inner pane. Seems highly suspicious to me..especially with no sign of impact damage to the inner pane.

Questions: Has anyone else experienced similar window damage? Could it have been a pressure stress break ...or side impact of small object from passing truck?

What about repairs to this window? Should I expect a replacement of the entire double window insert frame or just the shatterered fixed window ..double pane window?

I have placed a 3" metal duct type tape patch over the dime sized point on the spider shattered broken outer panel....It seems to have held shattered panel OK for the remaining 50 miles. I hope to delay final glass repair of the window until trip completion later this month.

Ideas..similar observations?

Thanks,
Pubtym
Old 11-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I had a 1990 Southwind single pane drivers side window shatter in that same situation. Going south out of Green River Wy. had a big box truck pass me going north, my window exploded in my lap in a hundred pices. I thought perhaps he might have kicked up a rock or threw something at me. The window shop in Vernal said that it happens especially if the window is slightly open (no all around support). I had to have a temporary plexiglass panel installed until I could get home to have real glass tempered and installed.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Pubtym, my vote is for a small object hitting the outer glass. A rock, maybe even a BB gun, who knows... Either way, your best recourse is a dealer repair as they have to separate the window frame to install a new double pane glass. Hope you insurance deductible is reasonable.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:49 AM   #5

We just had one of the small roll out windows over the buffet slide replaced last week. The funny thing is, I don't know when it got broken. From the outside it didn't even look broken due to the tint on the windows. It wasn't until I raised the shade to open the windows one day that I noticed it. Could have been like that for weeks. Our tech ordered a new piece from a local glass shop and came to our house and replaced it for us. Now that's service ! Bob G. will know who I am talking about. That glass it a little pricy, around $70 for that small piece.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:07 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You are going to have to have the entire window replaced as the two pieces of glass are bonded together and an inert gas is inside the window for insulation and to keep it from steaming up between the panes.

My guess is that either a foreign object was kicked up then or had been previously and the sudden gush was the "final straw".
Old 12-03-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Just returned from Forest City. Techs recommended replacement of the entire window assembly. Done in a few hours. Window assembly $271..plus labor. $425 total....out of pocket..but happy it was fixed right with right sealant and experienced tech.