Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Anyone ever have a bay door latch break?

This past weekend I went to open the water/sewer door and NO GO. The FL Boomers gathered around and were scratching our heads as DriVer rode up on his bike to save the day.
He inserted a screwdriver between the door on the side by the rear wheel well and was able to unscrew the latch assembly. The did the same on the other side. Obviously door would then open, but not latch.

Mike, DriVer, then undid the handle assembly to find a small nylon (plastic) part with a crack in it that move off to the side rather than up and down to pull the rods that release the latches. The nylon (plastic) piece is pop rivited together..... To drive home I "reinstalled" the latches and closed the door.

Spoke with Winnebago rep at the Tampa RV Super Show on Saturday....he, like the FL Boomers, scratched his head and suggested I replace the entire handle/latch assembly. Then have the handles painted to match the rest of the Motorhome. Now I can do that. but sure would like an alternative solution. Any suggestions??

By the way exact same thing is on the door directly opposite side where my Hurricane Heater system is?, which gets VERY little use. Strange.
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Anyone ever have a bay door latch break?

This past weekend I went to open the water/sewer door and NO GO. The FL Boomers gathered around and were scratching our heads as DriVer rode up on his bike to save the day.
He inserted a screwdriver between the door on the side by the rear wheel well and was able to unscrew the latch assembly. The did the same on the other side. Obviously door would then open, but not latch.

Mike, DriVer, then undid the handle assembly to find a small nylon (plastic) part with a crack in it that move off to the side rather than up and down to pull the rods that release the latches. The nylon (plastic) piece is pop rivited together..... To drive home I "reinstalled" the latches and closed the door.

Spoke with Winnebago rep at the Tampa RV Super Show on Saturday....he, like the FL Boomers, scratched his head and suggested I replace the entire handle/latch assembly. Then have the handles painted to match the rest of the Motorhome. Now I can do that. but sure would like an alternative solution. Any suggestions??

By the way exact same thing is on the door directly opposite side where my Hurricane Heater system is?, which gets VERY little use. Strange.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The gas lift assist mechanisums are slowly going south on mine. I will have to replace them all within the next several years. I've heard of others with this problem.

tmcgeesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 06:11 PM   #4
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Mine also became disabled just before leaving for Florida on the 27th of Dec. The white plastice striker would not go in to disengage the plate when the outside latch was pulled. Somehow the linkage that attaches to the outside handle and connects to the striker mechanism disconnected. I could not open the box, in trying to pop the latch back from the striker the latch broke. It was an easy fix for the local Winnie dealer. It took about 45 minutes. I got a schematic showing the linkage mechanism. It looks as if it can be fixed easy by anyone who is handy you will need 2 pop rivets to secure the plate.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks GG1, appreciate the information.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

GG1. I had the same problem this weekend. White Plastic striker broke. Can you post the schematic. I want to see if I can fix it myself. Thanks
Old 01-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #7
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I cannot send you a copy as I am traveling in Florida and using a laptop, but any Winnebago dealer should be able to make you a copy
Old 01-24-2005, 05:23 PM   #8

After reading all these posts, do any of you lube these doors. I TriFlo the mechanism and use a striker grease where they latch. My doors shut with a "slam." Have never had a problem?
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 05:56 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by no18yes:
.. do any of you lube these doors. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lou had just picked up his new motorhome and the slider in the latch was probably broken before he picked up the motorhome. It just picked a weird time to completely fail.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 PM   #10

Gotcha
no18yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I just purchased an 03 freedom. Are you happy with yours. Have you had any problems with the Hurricane Heater. The previous owner spoke about a circuit board that was recalled and that other than that it was perfect. I would be interested in your take on it. We Love this Ultimate so far. Robert
candoneill is offline   Reply With Quote