Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Broken Slide Gear

The large curbside slide on our Destination starting making some odd noises and extending/retracting became a bit jerky. I then noticed the rear of the slide would not fully retract (sticks out about an inch). After extending the slide, I looked at the rear motor and noticed two teeth have broken off the gear attached to the drive motor shaft. Looking the part up in my Winnebago parts manual, it's a 24 tooth gear with a woodruff key. Has anyone replaced a similar gear? It was dark when I was looking last night, so I couldn't tell if the whole assembly (i.e. motor and shaft) will need to be removed or if there is a simpler method. Any advice?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

New member here. I've been a long time reader of the forums but have never registered. I saw your post and recognized that I had just had the same thing happen to my slideout gear this last August. It's on a 2010 Sunova 33C. Mine was acting the same way as yours and upon inspection was missing about three teeth on the gear. This was on the forward rail of the driver's side slideout which is almost full-wall.

I don't have any advice but I can tell you how I got mine fixed. I had an extended warranty that covered the slideouts so I made an appointment to have it fixed at the Winnebago factory in Forest City. The service tech told me that it's not a very common problem but does happen from time to time.

As I had made an appointment about a month in advance, they had the whole new rail with new motor, gears, rollers, wiring etc. sitting and waiting for installation when I got there. Installation took a couple of hours. The bill to the warranty company was about $1000 including labor.

The slideout now works as smooth as new or better. I have always been very careful with my slideouts: always engine running while operating them, unit leveled, locked when in motion, lubricated, etc., so I was curious as to how this could happen. The service tech didn't really know an answer to that one. My thinking is that there was more of a failure than just the gear teeth and that that was just a result of the problem. Anyway that's my experience. Good luck!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

aauummm - thanks for taking the time to register and provide a response. All related information is helpful, so thank you.

After closer inspection, I believe my gear actually has 3 teeth missing (not two as stated) just as yours did. I've ordered a replacement gear.

It appears as though the motor and driveshaft assembly unbolts with four bolts and the entire thing can be slide backward and removed. I'm hoping at that point the shaft can be disassembled and the gear replaced. Hopefully there's not anything that is an interference fit, but if so, I suppose I could take the assembly to a maching shop and have the gear pressed off and the new one pressed on. I'm still a little concerned about removal, but based on an initial review, it looks pretty simple. Here's a pic of my problem gear (passenger side full wall slide, rear motor/gear):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	272
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	48902  
Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Bryan,
Great photo. Is this a power gear slide?? I am really interested in your success with this project. Keep us posted.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

From looking at your owners manual, 4 bolts hold the motor to the gearbox. Can't see what holds the gearbox in place. I submit phoning Winnebago Owner Relations = 1-800-537-1885 might result in receiving a pdf for how to change that gear. You must have your VIN and coach ID number in-hand when calling.
The woodruff key in the gear means it is not a press-fit.
Just changing the gear will not prevent future occurrences. You must determine the root cause for why the gear failed.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

How's your slideout gear replacement going?
Old 12-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I'm curious as to how your slideout gear replacement is going? Any update?
Old 12-25-2013, 02:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

I considered fixing my slideout issue on my 2001 when the rear bedroom slide was giving me problems however a call the Winnebago Customer Relations got it fixed by the slide mechanisms manufacturer at the local Winnebago dealer. Just because the coach warranty might be over does not mean that for a known defect that they will not step up to the plate and fix the manufacturing defect for you. Just play nice and you may get a pleasant surprise.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
I considered fixing my slideout issue on my 2001 when the rear bedroom slide was giving me problems however a call the Winnebago Customer Relations got it fixed by the slide mechanisms manufacturer at the local Winnebago dealer. Just because the coach warranty might be over does not mean that for a known defect that they will not step up to the plate and fix the manufacturing defect for you. Just play nice and you may get a pleasant surprise.

I agree. I think that if I hadn't have had an extended warranty that covered it, that Power Gear would have. If I'm not mistaken, in looking at Power Gear's website, they have discontinued the old gear model and have a new model for that gear.

It could be that they were having problems with the quality of the steel in the old gear. (Just a thought, I have no evidence for that) It does seem strange that a gear would have broken teeth with no huge over-riding reason to cause it.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Finally circling back to respond to this. I was able to replace the gear myself....however the rear motor hesitates a few seconds before retracting, which then causes the slide to get out of sync and not fully close. If I manually start the rear slide motor by hand and then retract it, all is good. Unfortunately, I think it is now time for professional help.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan H View Post
Finally circling back to respond to this. I was able to replace the gear myself....however the rear motor hesitates a few seconds before retracting, which then causes the slide to get out of sync and not fully close. If I manually start the rear slide motor by hand and then retract it, all is good. Unfortunately, I think it is now time for professional help.
Great! Congratulations on replacing that gear. I got to messing around on the Power Gear website again. They have the section for Winnebago owners to look up the equipment for each specific unit.
System Lookup - Power Gear That info might be in the owner's bundle that comes with the coach.

I looked up the gear number for each of our units and found that we've got the same gear (3010000400 Spur .75" ID x 2.0" OD).

They did have an instruction video on how to reset the stop limits on the slideout but the procedure looked a bit scary to me. For someone who is trained and has done it a few times it wouldn't be any big deal at all.

I had mentioned in a previous post that Power Gear had discontinued one of their gears and had a substitute. That particular gear wasn't the one that we have. Good luck on getting the job finished up!
Old 12-26-2013, 04:38 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Terrific info. FYI, replacing the gear itself wasn't too tough. Hopefully the continuing issue can be fixed by a pro without too much effort. With my luck, that won't be the case. : )

I'll report back once it gets repaired (probably a month or two).
Old 03-20-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Power Gear Slides

Any update about slide adjustment?
desilpj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide